“If you want a quiet hotel and a good nights sleep AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Old Swan Hotel

Old Swan Hotel
Ranked #16 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
York
“If you want a quiet hotel and a good nights sleep AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2009

I booked a surprise weekend in Harrogate for me and my partner to celebrate his 40th birthday. We really needed a relaxing break. Forget it here!! We had specifically requested a 'quiet room with a view' and received a tiny room with a horrible view across a roof and a brick wall and they put us right above a wedding disco! We suffered the most apalling noise from a wedding disco below until well into the early hours. We went down to reception and asked to be moved and were told there were no other available rooms so we just had to suffer the incredibly loud blaring music and did not get to sleep until the early hours of the next day. I understand they hold weddings here regularly SO BE WARNED - this ruined our stay. All we wanted was a good nights sleep and its not a lot to ask!! Breakfast next day was slow and the portions really small, I just wanted to go home. It was just a very disappointing experience on what should have been a lovely special birthday. We were offered a very small discount on our bill the next morning 'for the inconvenience' but it was so small it was very much just a token gesture. I had high hopes for the Macdonald hotel chain and was planning to stay at their Leeming House hotel in Ullswater for our honeymoon next year. I will not do so now and will look for a hotel chain that actually cares about its customers. Appalling.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank York32
DRGM, General Manager at Old Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 12 October 2009
Thank you for submitting your review of the hotel from your recent visit.

I was disappointed to read that your stay had not met expectation and specifically the allocated room and noise had been most dissatisfactory.

We do receive many positive comments from guests regarding the hotel however I am sorry that this was not the case on your visit.

Please contact me directly so that I can investigate this matter further and review the actions we took.

Apologies once more.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2009

We stayed here with a large group (about 30 of us!). Reception (and other) staff were friendly and efficient and got us all checked in pretty quick. Our room was lovely - No135- large, clean and comfortable. Modern style but with a bit of character. Bathroom was lovely too, with a great shower. Only slight downside to the room was the view - internal view onto the roof and other internally facing hotel windows but this didn't really matter to us as we weren't there much during the day. Breakfast was great - huge buffet to choose from with eggs, bacon, sausage etc cooked to order. The hotel looked beautiful from the outside and is perfectly located for Harrogate town centre/ International Centre. I would recommend this hotel and will definitely stay there again next time in we're in Harrogate.

• Stayed September 2009
Dear reviewer

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay at the hotel.
It was great to read your positive comments and it is satisfying to hear that the teams hard work is appreciated.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon on your next visit.

Bromley, Kent
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2009

Called in for a drink in the bar here after a meal elsewhere in town. Its an attractive building from the outside, and features a large illuminated sign advertising a 'Cocktail Lounge' . Great, we thought, lets treat ourselves to a nice Martini, perhaps with someone in the background on a piano....

Once inside however, the bartender seemed confused by our request. A vodka martini? A vodka AND a martini? In the same glass? A Vodka? Martini?
Garlic? bread? GARLICK bread? Peter Kay would be proud.

Picking up a tumbler as he struggled to understand what a Vodka Martini might possibly be, the penny seemed to suddenly drop. A cocktail is it? Oh no we can't do cocktails, we're not trained in cocktails.

We settled for other drinks, including a very nice but very overpriced glass of Sauvignon Blanc and had another chuckle at the sign outside as we left.

Top marks, but only for entertainment value. I wouldn't take the joke so far as to actually every stay here.

Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
DRGM, General Manager at Old Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 30 September 2009
Dear reviewer
Thank you for the feedback on your recent visit, I apologise that it did not meet expectation on this occaision. The 'Cocktail Lounge' signage is part of the hotels heritage and listing however I am sorry our team member was not able to accomodate your request. We do have several basic cocktails available and I will ensure that we go back and re-train the team where necessary.
Thank you and apologies once more.

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

wils10
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2009

We got married in May at Harrogate Registry Office and we had our wedding reception at this hotel. Im so glad we did. Sally the wedding coordinator cant do enough for you. Nothing is a problem for her. We only had a very small wedding party but the service we received was excellent . We went to have a look at this hotel before we booked our wedding reception and fell in love with it. The grounds are beautiful for having your wedding photos taken in. We found the rooms to be very comfortable and so did our guests. We did have one of the bridal suites though which are massive! They are lovely. The food we had for our wedding breakfast and breakfast the following day was lovely.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Dear reviewer
Thank you for contacting us regarding your experience at the hotel. It is refreshing to hear your positive comments and please rest assured that I will pass your feedback on to Sally - she will be thrilled!
Barnet
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2009

I chose this hotel as I had always been impressed with Macdonald Hotels in the past. I was not disappointed. The pictures online really don't do the hotel justice. It is just lovely, and is only a short walk from the centre of Harrogate. The breakfast room in particular is very impressive. The food was excellent and the staff were professional and extremely friendly. I had such a super stay I plan to return.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DRGM, General Manager at Old Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 18 September 2009
Thank you for reviewing your stay at the hotel. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Liverpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2009

We stayed for one night, having booked without reading any of the Trip advisor reviews. Once i had read the reviews I was worried we would be staying at Fawlty Towers, so I called the hotel and expressed my concern regarding rooms and safety, and was assured that all the rooms had been refurbished in 2007, and that they were in the process of fitting card entry systems to all rooms, and that he would reserve one for me.
The hotel itself is in a great location and has a lovely setting. Public areas have old style glamour which is charming. As for the room it was clean, modern, and what you would expect for the £130 per night which we paid on a bank hloiday weekend. Breakast was great, with good choice and excellent service. My only complaint is that the drinks at the bar are overpriced.

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to the hotel. I am pleased that your stay was a pleasant one and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Cheshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2009

We stayed here during the last weekend in August 09 as we were attending a wedding at Rudding Park Hotel. I urge you to spend the extra and stay there as it was lovely - i wish we had.

We booked for two nights. On first arrival the hotel looked great, reception staff welcoming. We dropped our bags off in the room and went and had a drink. The barman informed us that there were three weddings there over the weekend we were staying, which should have rung the warning alarms with us. (by the way we were charged £10 for a small wine and a pint of beer!, more than hotel prices) We went out for a meal and returned to find a number of smokers outside the front of the hotel. Our room was directly above the area they were occupying, which they did not move from until the early hours. The beds are tiny - not even a double size. More like 3/4, no space either side, or at the end. My boyfriends feet were hanging out.

Children were running up and down the corridors most of the night, until we told them off. The floorboards in the corridor creak really loudly if you even look at them, so you are kept awake all night, even when people are trying to be quiet. Not that there was a lot of them, more people were drunk from the wedding and rolling back to their rooms in the middle of the night shouting. With the gap under the door there was no getting away from the noise. The TV did not work and had to be replaced, there were "hairs" in the sink when we arrive, and not from your scalp!!! To make matters worse we booked in May and the booking confirmed that the first nights accommodation would be taken at booking. This was not - it was taken out of my account 4 months later. ALl in all avoid this hotel at all costs.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple