Old Swan Hotel
Ascot House Hotel Harrogate(Harrogate)(Great Value!)
US$125
Crowne Plaza Harrogate(Harrogate)(Great Value!)
US$152
US$124
CrownePlaza.com
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
The West Park Hotel(Harrogate)(Great Value!)
US$294
  • Restaurant
Hotel du Vin and Bistro(Harrogate)(Great Value!)
US$173
US$167
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
The Crown Hotel(Harrogate)(Great Value!)
US$93
US$193
US$86
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
Premier Inn Harrogate South Hotel(Harrogate)(Great Value!)
US$116
PremierInn.com
Premier Inn Harrogate Town Centre Hotel(Harrogate)(Great Value!)
US$116
PremierInn.com
1,829 results
All reviewsagatha christieafternoon teamurder mysteryevening mealtown centrecream teatraditional hotellovely hotelbottle of proseccosconesold buildingself servicelarge bathroomvalley gardensenjoyable staytwo night stayfull english
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 January 2010

I have just enjoyed a great weekend at this hotel with my husband and 12 year old daughter, for my husbands birthday. I rang the hotel on the morning of our arrival to book reservation for the restaurant, and to advise them of my husbands birthday, and on arrival our room had been upgraded. We stayed on the 3rd floor, room was really lovely, with a seperate wardrobe area and a huge bathroom. We enjoyed a great meal in the restaurant on Friday evening, service and food were both excellent. We were booked in on Saturday evening for a meal, but the menu had not been changed from the previous evening, so we decided to go out to a nearby Chinese restaurant. Breakfast on both mornings was excellent, again as was the service. There was a wedding on Saturday but this did not interfere at all with other guests staying at the hotel, and we did not hear any noise from the wedding party. The rooms were very warm, so we decided to turn off the radiators and open the window slightly, which kept the room at a comfortable temperature, so i would recommend this if you don't like the rooms there. All the staff on reception were extremely pleasant and helpful, we could not thank them enough for taking care of us. And thank you for my husband's birthday card! We are hoping to return to this hotel again in the summer, i could not recommend it enough for location, we were a few minutes walk from the centre, and service and food were excellent.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
DRGM, General Manager at Old Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2010

Dear reviewer

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel, I was pleased to read that your visit had been an enjoyable one.

We do change our menu daily in the restaurant although in early January we did experience some difficulties with food deliveries affected by the heavy snow and unfortunately we were not able to offer our usual standard.

Thank you once more and we look forward to your next trip to Harrogate.

Reviewed 28 January 2010

My Wife and I went to Harrogate on the 22nd Jan staying at the Old Swan,what a pleasurable stay ,there for 2 nights, rooms excellent ,and service brilliant all the staff had a smile for you,would definetely,recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear reviewer

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your stay at the hotel. Our team work very hard and it is always rewarding to receive a compliment.

Thanks again!

Reviewed 25 January 2010

My partner booked for two nights stay at the old swan in Harrogate as an anniversary treat for me. I love the charm of old fashioned hotels and i was not disappointed on arrival. The room was beautifully presented but there was one problem, it was very warm- boiling in fact! My partner informed reception of the problem the following morning and we were promptly upgraded to an executive suite! The staff were excellent throughout the stay and always made us feel welcome- even when we asked the very busy nigh porter to reopen the bar so we could have a late night drink. Breakfast was superb, brilliant choice and quality. Room service was prompt and efficient. I would recommend the breakfast in bed option, and the paper- very relaxing. Word off warning the wi-fi doesnt reach everywhere in the hotel! Overall excellent

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear reviewer

Many thanks for taking the time to write your constructive feedback further to your recent stay at the hotel.

I will make sure that your comments are reviewed with the team and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Thank you.

Reviewed 23 January 2010

The "Old Swan" is historic and characterful , with comfortable if slightly draughty rooms. The mystery is how such an appealing appearance could hide some unappealing service. Perhaps, Agatha Christie could solve this one. Breakfast is adequate but carefully measured - one piece of mushroom, one half of tomato etc. In my case I had to wait an eternity to order tea and toast, even though the breakfast room was three-quarters empty. When the tea did arrive is was minus either milk or lemon. The toast arrived without butter. Neither the milk or the butter ever did arrived. The mystery of the disappearing service resurfaced in the afternoon when I tried to avail myself of what the hotel describes as "room service". I ordered a pot of tea and a pastry. After 40 minutes and three telephone calls an excuse arrived to do with having to defrost the pastry. I though this took about 15 seconds in a microwave. To be fair my complaint seemed to have an effect because the "tray charge" for the room service was deducted from my bill and both milk and butter were supplied with breakfast the next morning.
Overall, I think that someone at MacDonalds Hotels, which owns the "Old Swan", needs to get a grip on the service side of things and to be less mean on the portions. The hotel seems more geared to conferences and day courses than to anyone looking for something a bit special. A bit sad and a bit of a mystery.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business

Dear reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the hotel, I apologise that not every aspect was satisfactory.

I am sorry that your breakfast experience was poor, having reviewed this with the team I understand that you joined a group of colleagues at the table and unfortunately we did not recognise this at the time.

I also apologise for the delay of the room service order.

I am pleased that 'normal' service resumed for the remainder of your stay and trust that you will give us the opportunity to renew your faith in us on your next visit to Harrogate.

Reviewed 29 December 2009

When looking for a suitable central hotel for 2 night break was deciding between the Crown and Old Swan. Chose OS because of better parking and breakfast - plus having noted DRGM comments to most postings, and have stayed at Macdonald hotels in past. Having read the last 20 reviews opted for an Executive room which was only few £ extra via Hotels.com. (£34 pppn b&b, less 10% cashback via my Quidco account). On arrival found all staff pleasant, room was dual aspect corner room, perfectly adequate with great shower. Slight quibble - had to ask reception for dressing gowns they said although standard to Exec rooms only give them out on request (not come across that before).
Breakfast in Wedgwood restaurant usual high Macdonald standard in lovely glass-ceilinged room. Hotel was quiet but our stay was Sun-Mon. Having noted comments re noise I would accept if there was a wedding party it would be pretty noisy due to layout - so best check with hotel first.
Overall, delighted with the hotel, will use again, noted some small rooms so key is to manage expectations.
The reviewer below has had bad experiences & will be interested to read DRGM's response to that one ... let's hear you DRGM!!! ps - avoid the Yorkshire Hotel - wife and girlfriends stayed there 1 night a few months ago and it was disgusting (and they paid more!).

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
DRGM, General Manager at Old Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2010

Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for submitting your review of your recent stay, your constructive comments are appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.