Country Living St. George Hotel
Crowne Plaza Harrogate(Harrogate)(Great Value!)
US$132
US$108
CrownePlaza.com
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
Cedar Court Hotel(Harrogate)(Great Value!)
US$99
US$87
The West Park Hotel(Harrogate)(Great Value!)
US$153
  • Restaurant
The Crown Hotel(Harrogate)(Great Value!)
US$93
  • Breakfast included
Old Swan Hotel(Harrogate)
US$162
US$125
Ascot House Hotel Harrogate(Harrogate)(Great Value!)
US$131
Priceline
1,151 results
All reviewsshearings hotelsshearings holidaycoast countryleisure clubself servicespa facilitiesroyal hallrestaurant staffplenty of hot waterlick of paintpublic roomsweekend breakkipperscentral locationmy mumlovely townbuffet style
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 February 2012

My partner and I booked a night in york, but after such a good day and also being shattered from walking around all day we decided to stay for another night which we thought why not try Harrogate for a change of scenery.

Unfortunately, we only had Internet access via our phones and with a poor signal it was becoming frustrating. We eventually came across the st george hotel which from the images we saw it looked very nice and it also had leisure facilities which was perfect after a long day on our feet. So we booked over the telephone and the cost was £117.00 for a double room that also included a £40.00 dinner voucher and breakfast, which we thought was very reasonable, but how wrong we were!

Upon arrival in the so called carpark which I can only describe as a nightmare! I had no choice but to temporarily park in a no carpark space to help my pregnant partner with the bags, which I was greated by a member of the hotel staff and was told that I couldn't park there and to move it, move it to where I asked! There was a space that I couldnt access due to a 4x4 blocking the entrance which I asked would it be possible to get the owner to move so I could park in the space, I was told no and the owner was a resident and away for the weekend! Why would you agree to let a 4x4 park where it would be a obstacle for everyone! What poor management and organasation! Oh by the way the hotel staff who greated me was the hotel manager! Not a good start!

There had clearly been no expense spared in the reception and bar area, but that is where it finished!

We were given room 122 which was one flight up and down the corridor which the journey to the room didn't fill us with much confidence! The money had clearly all been spent downstairs. The corridors to the room were in very poor condition and in desperate need of repair! We entered the room to be welcomed by another tv that was from the 90's ! (the Marriott in York the night before also had the same tv) the room was cold and the window that was left opened for some reason even though it was covered in snow outside which was difficult to close. We both fancied a good soak in the bath but after seeing the bathroom we decided against it! To say we were disappointed was an understatement and this is meant to be a four star hotel! 2 star and that is being generous ! The bath panel was barely on and I think stevie wonder grouted the tiles! There was also urine dried onto the bin next to toilet which the bathroom had clearly not been cleaned properly ! We asked if we could upgrade and was told that the hotel was full and it was a recently refurbished room which I was astonished by! I would hate to see a non refurbished room! We thought let's just make the most of it we are here now and we went to the bar but with no barman in site but when he did finally arrive he was more interested in talking to a colleague about the football and watching tv than serving customers. Reminder again this is supposed to be a 4 star hotel!

Before going back to the room we asked the receptionist if we could eat in the bar area and order from the bar menu rather than the restaurant menu which by the way was dire, we were told this wasnt a problem which we later found out that that no food orders could be taken after 8.30, it was 8.45 ! What 4 star hotel stops serving food after 8.30?! This was soon resolved after again speaking with the receptionist which the so called manager was also present, so obviously no communication here!

Considering the hotel was full it was like a ghost town with a handful of people around with no atmosphere at all! We went to bed and the bed was like sleeping on concrete ! We both woke the next day with a bad back and neck!

We both agreed that we should have gone home and saved the money we wasted on this poorly managed run down hotel!

Our advice to you is avoid at all costs!

• Stayed: February 2012
4  Thank Asht83
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at Country Living St. George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2012

I have read and digested your entire review with much regret. Firstly I would like to point out that we are not a four star hotel, we are a 3 star hotel and our chain is extremely different style to the Marriott chain which you refer to. We do have limited car parking for guests, however all staff are able to direct guests to alternative areas which are both free of charge or chargeable. As the car park is unmanned if guests park their cars obstructing other users we do make every effort to contact them, however as you can appreciate guests do not just sit in the hotel all day and can be out and about from breakfast to bedtime. The corridors in the hotel are awaiting refurbishment, the initial refurbishment programme concentrated on the areas of the hotel which our guests are likely to spend the most of their time. We are also working to improve the bathrooms on an individual basis, therefore your comments and photographs are helpful to highlight the areas in this bathroom which require immediate attention for this I thank you. I would however have liked the opportunity to speak to you personally whilst you were in the hotel. I take cleanliness extremely seriously and will investigate your other comments with my housekeeping team. With regards to the service you say that you recieved from the bar staff and reception this is so contradictory to other guest reviews, however I will take your responses on board.

Reviewed 12 February 2012

Stayed for a short break (2 nights) at the St George, Harrogate and have to say...great value for money. If there was a four and a half rating on Trip Advisor would have given that...can't give 5 out of 5 because that means perfection..and, sorry...it was slightly (only slightly!!!!) below perfection.

Staff - fantastic - couldn't do enough for you - always greeted with a smile.

Room - a good size...overlooking the front...and no noise/distubances!!!! double bed..very comfortable...clean and white linen...lovely white, soft towels.

Public areas - lovely....obviously re-furbed. being completely honest - upstairs corridors to rooms could do with a lick of paint due to scuff marks from cases

Car park - never had a problem.

Food - spot on - delicious!! very attentive staff - well done Angela!! coffee in the lounge listening to the grand piano...delightful!!

Service - absolutely more than spot on...can not fault throughout the whole hotel...well done !!

All in all...to sum up - people booking here need to remember that this is not a purpose built, modern. city centre hotel...it is in a historic, and characterisic town which is reflected in the hotel's ambiance. I cannot understand anyone that complains about this hotel...if you want a huge car park...book in a premier inn on the outskirts of town...if you want to sit in your room and watch strictly....stay at home!!! ....otherwise stay at the St George for a very relaxing and extremely good value break.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Napoleon_08
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at Country Living St. George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2012

Your honest review of the hotel makes wonderful reading, I will be sure to pass on your lovely comments to my staff and in particular Angela. All the staff work hard to ensure that guests enjoy their time with us. The corridors are in need of attention and you'll be pleased to hear we are working our way through the hotel to address such issues. Let’s hope next time you visit we'll be able to gain that fifth star from you!.

Reviewed 3 February 2012

We booked through Shearings on a self drive weekend. What good value for money!! The room was adequate although the TV reception was terrible. The Wi Fi which was advertised throughout the Hotel was not available, when we enquired we were told you got only recieve in certain areas. The food was excellent and the staff very attentive. We were totally blocked in on the carpark and could not use the car on the friday evening, not too pleased about that! The next day we blocked two cars in and went to reception to tell them we were available at any time to move the car, they insisted that we take it from the car park! There was a vehicle already on there blocking at least 6 other cars with no intention of moving. But did enjoy our stay and will return but maybe on a coach next time as they are even better value for money!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hillary and Bob J

Thanks for your review Shearings do certainly offer some fantastic value breaks to wonderful locations around the UK. I'm sorry you had problems with the TV and WIFI connections, the TV's are all due to be replaced very soon and unfortunately the WIFI is occasionally intermittent in certain areas of the hotel. We do have limited space in the car park, my reception team will happily direct guests to alternative free parking on the surrounding roads or there is parking at the local NCP which is just a few minutes walk away but is chargeable. Shearings Coach holidays certainly solve any parking issues that we may have at the hotel and are also extremely good value.

Reviewed 3 February 2012

advertised as having on site parking but arrived to find car park full and had to park on the street. reception area looked lovely but the corridors to rooms in a very poor state of decor. room was smallest double ever been in, and cold when arrived. went for a nice warm shower to find after a minute there was no hot water at all and had to wash hair in cold water in sink. Next morning there was still no hot water. breakfast limited, only english, no continental, and the juice was out in jugs on a table all morning unchilled. Queried a refund on checking out in view of the lack of hot water, but the girl there couldn't do it and took my contact details. 6 days later still waiting for a call from head office or a manager having now called them twice since I left the hotel. Would never go again

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
9  Thank Julia G

I'm concerned to read your review and sorry that your experience means you won't visit us again. I can assure you and any other trip advisor readers that should anyone experience such problems with their room, hot water or breakfast, my management team will be able to resolve most issues if they are made aware at the time, I'm sure that you can appreciate we cannot rectify these comments since you have checked out of the hotel. With regards to the breakfast, every morning we offer a buffet style full English, buffet style continental items such as cold meats, cheeses, variety of cereal , yogurts, fruit, toast, pastries and juices (which are in large jugs with a chilled ice column in the centre of the jug).

Edwina Stevens

Reviewed 1 February 2012

We booked hotel via shearrings 4 day weekend break. After along trip via coach the staff could not have been more helpful on arrival. Bags were taken to our room by staff promptly. Reception staff very helpful and kind throughtout our stay.

Room quality very clean good decor but the bathroom very cold and we could not get our towel rail to work. Bathroom needs updating interestingly no photos of bathrooms availble on internet I now understand why. Due to disabillity I need a warm shower everyday to get moving so this was a real disapointment. Our room 109 was on first floor and faced the very busy road which is the main road to join M1 north from Harrogate due to the one way system so the road busy right through the night.

We new this may be the case and for the price we paid for the four day break did not complain. As we didnot want anything to spoil are well earned weekend away.

What I was not prepared for was noise from residents standing outside the front of the hotel day and night smoking and chatting! Which kept us awake most of friday night. It really gives a negative image to the hotel and the noise is not far on other guests trying to sleep.

On a possitive note each morning we booked our evening meal time to suit. The staff in the restaurant were very polite and helpful in particulary the restaurant manager who worked really hard to make sure all guests where happy and there needs met. The food was the best part of the stay each evening we had various courses on the fixed menu. They also provided different choices for a additional fee. The food was excellent quality and really enjoyable. Breakfast was typically English self service. But plenty for everyones taste. Shearings guests didnot have to sit together and we had our own table each night.

The swimming pool had to be reached by a flight of stars and is smaller than the photos portray, some treatments only availble on specific days of the week. Also open to non residents. But it was warm and enjoyable.

The hotels central location is ideal for Harrogate opposite is the tourist centre office and baths. It faces the Royal Hall, Internation Centre. ideal for concerts and shows. The booking office is now based in centre of Harrogate at the Harrogate theatre. We specifically combined our stay with a show which made our weekend very special. We managed to see Alfie Boe in concert and a big thanks to staff and the theatre box office for help with this. Near by is the Harrogate avenue walk to RHS Harlow Carr which was a real treat.

The hotel could be excellent and with a little effort could be sorted out by staff and management which is why it is a real shame. I know they are working hard to resolve these issues and updating rooms decor.

We will be back in Harogate at Easter if I book the St George Hotel again I will upgrade my room and request one at back or far side to reduce the noise levels.

It is excellent value for money as we travelled and booked via Shearings which included a trip to York. Booking hotel directly it seems is more expensive.

So on the whole (very good) shame as could be excellent!

Room Tip: Request room on upper floors at side or back. Not facing main road. Upgrade room for more comfortable stay.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends

I'm pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and your time in Harrogate, Shearings Coach Holidays really do offer excellent value for money. As you pointed out the rooms at the front of the hotel do experience some road traffic noise, as the front bedrooms overlook the main A61 which is the main road that runs between Leeds and Ripon. We are still working on improving areas of the hotel and this does include the bathrooms, if you do stay with us again at Easter you may be interested in upgrading to one of our Premier or Superior rooms which have brand new bathroom suites. Your kind comments regarding the restaurant and standard of food are wonderful to read and will be passed on to my staff. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Edwina Stevens