“Three night stay”

The St George Hotel
Ranked #22 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Upgraded to Superior room which was very large and comfortable and was at the front of the beautiful building. Pity about traffic and people noise outside plus lack of digital programmes on TV.
Food very good but service suffered when another function at same time. Staff very pleasant.
All areas clean and smart. Pool very good. Enjoyed the fact that the hotel was close to the centre. In all a good stay with good company.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank oapChesire
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2012

I'm really pleased to read that you enjoyed the upgrade in accommodation however I'm sorry that you were disturbed by outside noise. As I have mentioned previously we are waiting for new TV's to be installed throughout the hotel, which will ensure that guests receive all digital channels available. I will pass your comments on to my team and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

There are newer reviews for The St George Hotel

Reviewed 11 March 2012

we stayed at the George for a four day mid-week break. After reading some of the previous reviews I had reservations as to what our break would be like , well we really enjoyed it .
what do my fellow travellers expect from a 3 star Hotel . In fact I feel they provided more than the star rating
All staff polite and helpful . Meals, never needed to go out for dinner Meals lovely presented able to book table for evening meal from 6pm- 8pm. Room small, and bathroom huge. Radiator in the bathroom coming away from the wall But this is a old building We were told they are to be refurbished .Hotel is central to the town Spa area small but adequate and well used by hotel guests and locals. Great four day break thank you

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a response, quite rightly with so many reviews on trip advisor guests do arrive with certain perceptions, I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay and were not put off by others comments. I’m sure by now my maintenance team will have rectified the radiator in the bathroom. Coast and Country Hotels offer some excellent value short breaks, I look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 8 March 2012

I and my Mother ebjoyed a fab weekend in harrogate at the st george. The hotel was lovely and so was all of the staff. The Breakfast and evening meal was more than expected and the staff were all more than friendly and helpfull. With collection by coach and driven straight to your hotel we had a lovely relaxing break. We enjoyed ourselves so much that we are off again in March 2012 for another adventure one of many more to come no doubt.

Room Tip: we were on the third floor to the left side it was very quiet and enjoyed very peacefull evenings.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Another fabulous review, Thanks for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon, Please call the hotel before your arrival if you would prefer a quiet room again.

* Beautiful looking building
* Lovely bar and lounge areas
* Spacious room - clean and nice decor
* Very pleasant staff - everyone we saw was polite and said "hello" or "good morning"
* Wonderful breakfast - something for every taste
* Small car park - exactly as expected after reading other reviews

I cannot fault this hotel at all and am looking forward to staying again. There was nothing to dislike. It's a stunning building which duty manager Angela was happy to show off when we were encouraged to look at the wedding venue room. It was so refreshing to have hotel staff who were all happy to enter into a conversation and it really made a difference from other weekend breaks.
We managed to have our room a few hours early. We got a space on the car park (but would have been happy to park elsewhere if needed). The Montpelier Quarter and town centre was just over the road. The hotel couldn't have been situated in a better place.
Everywhere was clean and tidy. Yes, if I'm being as picky as some of the picky people leaving negative comments, the landing corridors could do with updating, but as I don't sit in a corridor then it wasn't a problem.
The room was bright, clean and spacious and the bed was so comfy. The bathroom was clean - what more can you ask for.
The breakfast was great and nicely cooked and plenty for all tastes. Again, all staff were pleasant.
People staying here this weekend did appear to be of an older generation, making us forty somethings feel quite young, but this to us was a plus, as it's not often that you get oap's running around in hotel corridors in the middle of the night!!!
We didn't eat an evening meal in the hotel, but staggered back from the many bars and pubs in the town!!! We did take a peek at the hotel menu though and there seemed to be a good choice.
All in all this was a great value hotel and my husband and I loved it and are looking forward to a longer stay next time.
Young or old, this is a fab hotel.

Helen and Dave

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

My response is being written with a smile on my face, thanks for your comments it makes me so proud reading reviews like this. I will personally ensure that my team are aware of your comments keep up the hard work, in particular Angela.
As a company we have some other great hotels in equally great locations, also excellent value. Bookings for these can be made on the Coast and Country Hotels Website or by calling the reservations department at this hotel. I look forward to personally welcoming you back to Harrogate soon.

Reviewed 5 March 2012

Stayed at the St George over a weekend with half board. Was very impressed from the outset by the lobby and bar area. On Saturday night a pianist entertained in the lobby whilst fellow guests were reading, talking or playing cards - altogether a great atmosphere. Car park is admittedly very small so we dropped off our bags and parked up on a side road without any difficulty. The buffet breakfast and the evening meal was excellent, served in an enormous room which would make a fine ballroom but did give a slight canteen-like ambience to our eating experience. However the staff and most especially the duty manager more than made up for this by their helpfulness. Our rooms were fine and very clean with all the facilities you would require save WiFi which only seemed to be obtainable in the common parts. We were at the front of the hotel and the street noise kept one of our party awake till the small hours. I had never thought of Harrogate as having a club scene but it is certainly alive at night. I would come again and would reccommend the hotel to friends but would perhaps ask for a room at the back if I was a light sleeper.

Excellent value for money.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Car parking at the hotel is limited and on a first come first served basis, therefore I’m pleased to be able to read from someone who parked on the surrounding streets without any problems. The Swaledale Restaurant is a typical Edwardian room, with extremely high ceilings and unfortunately does not lend itself to an intimate dining experience. I will ensure my team are aware of your praise and also agree for guests booking in the future to request a quieter room at the back of the hotel prior to their arrival.

Reviewed 5 March 2012

Got a late booking for a Saturday night last weekend, have to say a very warm and informative welcome. the pool and sauna etc were fab.
The building was lovely and so were all staff on duty. It was great to find an Ironing board and Iron in the room (wardrobe of course).
Another brilliant touch was the guy playing the baby grand piano, what a nice touch and so relaxing. Excellent for location. As many have mentioned the need for a little touch up on the decor and I think this hotel would a a cut above some others. Overall the hotel had a certain charm about it, much more than these modern ones! I would definitley return to this hotel. we did not sample anything from the menu so can not comment.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

How lovely to read another glowing review, I’m so pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. The Pianist is very good he plays at the hotel every Wednesday and Saturday night and it does certainly add to the charm of the hotel. Please feel free to contact the reservations department at the hotel to book a future stay.

Reviewed 29 February 2012

My son married here in November 2011 and we found the hotel excellent and we stayed here too for 3 nights. The staff are very friendly and the superior room that I had was furnished to an extremely high standard. The hotel is a magnificant Victorian building, so now is certainly showing signs of wear and tear and is looking very tired in places. However Shearings bought this a couple of years ago and have spent vast amounts in a programme of refurbishment. The downstairs entrance and bar areas are excellent as are some of the rooms. All rooms have modern tv's etc and whilst some are tired they are absolutely servicable. Bedding, towels, pillows, tv's etc all updated.
The food, we found to be very good. The wedding feast was superb and breakfast each morning in the public restaurant was terrific.
There is a main Road outside and a small number of rooms will overlook this. The road is not busy at night. There are also a couple of clubs in close proximity and whilst there has been problems with noise from the late night drinking, the hotel have worked closely with the local businesses and the Police and has pretty much sorted it out. I certainly encountered no problems. I am also local so can speak from experience and the local weekly news as to what has being happening.
I cannot stress enough how helpful the staff are and the organisation of the event was excellent. This is a great hotel to stay in and very reasonably priced for Harrogate, if booking a Shearings break. Other hotels close by appear to have similar offers but believe me they offer much less. Be aware that weddings do take place, so there maybe music on an evening, but only in one room. We found the hotel to be very respectful of peoples comfort and by 11;30 the music was turned down and the music finishes no later than 1 anyway.
So, to summerise, this is an excellent hotel, which hosted an excellent wedding service and reception for my son and having stayed there as well, I can say, don't turn this down!! Some of the reviews on here are a little unfair. Shearings cannot be responsible for nightclubs and have done everything possible to deal with the issues surrounding this. Also, whilst the hotel maybe tired, it is magnificant and steeped in history. Bear in mind that they have a programme of planned refurbishment and are doing very well. It takes time for a hotel of this size to bring everything upto scratch. . If booking a wedding ask for Lynn Rankin.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and ask for a premier or superior room. Well worth the few pounds more.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for taking your time to write such a wonderfully truthful review. I’m so pleased that your son and his new wife enjoyed their wedding day and that you can speak so highly of the service received by my team, as you mentioned Lynn Rankin is the one to ask for when booking a wedding, she has worked at the hotel for many years and has a wealth of knowledge and expertise in her field.
We are working on improving areas of the hotel and this does take time with such an old building of this size. We are working with the local council to combat the noise issues from local bars and nightclubs. However for any guests wishing to stay in the future, if they are light sleepers I would strongly recommend contacting the reservation department at the hotel and requesting one of our quieter rooms at the back of the hotel. Once again thanks for your review, I hope it will be useful to other trip advisor users and perhaps I will be able to meet you again at the hotel for your next family celebration.