“Good stay in Yorkshire!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The St George Hotel

The St George Hotel
Ranked #22 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Good stay in Yorkshire!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

We have just returned from our stay at this hotel. We only stayed one night but were impressed by the cleanliness and facilities at the hotel. The gym and spa were excellent and the staff there very friendly. The hotel room was clean and quiet which I had requested and both my husband and I had a good nights rest. The hotel had lots of character which we liked. The only downside was as said in other reviews the car park is very small so get there early (we arrived at half 11 and got a spot straight away) you can leave the car there and go shopping until check in time.
I can't comment on the food as we didn't eat there. However beware if you book through laterooms for this hotel it says you can add breakfast on for and extra £5.00 each. We presumed the price would be the same in the morning in the restaurant-but when we asked this morning it was £10.00 each for breakfast! So the price on laterooms must be if you book online -not the hotels fault i suppose but worth noting for future guests-book breakfast before you go!:)

Room Tip: Get there early for a parking spot!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Stephen S, Deputy General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
I am pleased to read that you were very impressed with cleanliness and facilities at the hotel during your recent stay. I look forward to showing your review to the rest of the staff. I am glad you had the time to use our lovely spa facilities which are a great place to relax and unwind after some sightseeing and shopping. It is cheaper to book breakfast at the time of booking with laterooms however I’m sure you would agree £10 per person for a full buffet breakfast still represents great value for money. Next time you need a room remember you can always book the good old fashioned way directly with one of the reservation team at the hotel by calling us directly for the best rates.

Stephen Squires
Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Harpenden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

Large Hotel I usually like small family Hotels, but I was pleasantly supprised with the service, food,Cleanliness, and the efficient organisation of the hotel. I have been on a lot of Shearings holidays they are cheap and usually you get what you pay for. Sometimes not that good. I would recommend the Goerge Hotel

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank travller99
Stephen S, Deputy General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2012
Thank you for such a kind review of your recent stay with us. I am pleased to read you were more than happy with all aspects of your stay and that you found us to be an excellent Shearings hotel! I am glad to hear that you would readily recommend us to others.

Stephen Squires
Deputy General Manager
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Nice hotel in town centre food was very good and the staff were both efficient and friendly, room was clean there were 2 downsides one the car park wasn't very big and if you were unlucky enough not to get a space then you had a good walk but the biggest downside was the noise at night from the nightclub close to the hotel as there was no double glazing the only way we could get to sleep was to buy earplugs!! Disappointed at the lack of entertainment there was a pianist and that was it!

Room Tip: make sure you don't get a room at the front of the hotel facing the nightclub/s
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank edward k
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Dear Edward K
Thanks for your recent review and complimentary comments regarding the location and my staff. Unfortunately due to our excellent location, some bedrooms at the front of the hotel may experience noise from the main road.
Perhaps if you are interested in staying with us again in the future you may consider one of our excellent value Coast and Country Coach Holidays leaving your car at home, as I have mentioned in previous reviews for anyone who is a light sleeper please request a quiet room at the back of the hotel prior to your arrival.
Edwina Stevens
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

Used this a base to take in the Moors, Dales and Bronte Country.
Excellent for access to all and ideal for walking access to a great choice of restaurants and bars in the evening after a long days travelling.

Room Tip: If stating in a hotel close to Harrogate City Centre do not take the breakfast at £10 a head, go to...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vector-1
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Thanks for your review you are absolutely right the St George hotel is ideally located to travel short distances into stunning countryside locations, then enjoy a relaxed evening in the beautiful town of Harrogate. Often at the weekends I take a packed lunch and head off to the dales for a peaceful walk.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

Stayed at the St George hotel in Harrogate at the beginning of March, first impressions were rather confusing as from the photos on the Coast & Country website I expected the hotels location to be different. Desperate for a reasonably priced weekend away with my partner and our young baby, I booked the hotel without having read the reviews first (very unlike me, still have baby brain!), so I was worried upon arriving at the hotel. Parking as other reviewers have remarked was a nightmare, I appreciate the hotel will give you a parking disc to use in roads close by, but for us at the time we arrived and the travelling circus we have to bring with us nowadays with our baby, it made sense to park as close to the entrance as possible and pay and display for a couple of hours whilst we settled in (there was no way my partner could have parked in the disc area and carried all our bags etc.) Checking in was simple and fairly quick, friendly and helpful staff. First impressions of the foyer were positive (am an interior designer and felt the modern and classic mix worked well). However, upon closer inspection you can see a lot of ‘crack-covering’ so to speak. Our room was nice (room 100), quite plain, but a lovely size, perfect with the baby, but you could see where it had been redecorated but not with enough care and attention (cracks were re-appearing above the bed for example). It looked like this had been given a fresh coat of paint, but the areas had not been prepared as well as they could have been, woodwork etc. My real issue with the room was the bathroom, it really was unacceptable. I didn’t report anything to staff at the time, as after reading other reviews, I didn’t feel any comment would have made a difference during our stay. The condition of the entire bathroom was at an unacceptable level in my opinion, there was mould, the flooring was old, not fitted properly, grout not finished correctly, nowhere near as clean as I would have expected, all in all, looked as though it had been freshened up and failed miserably. If all the bathrooms are of a similar condition, I feel attention should be showed to them immediately; it really let the room down for us.

Never having stayed at a hotel that included breakfast and dinner, I wasn’t sure if we would like it. All in all we were happy with the food served; felt the inclusive menu was extensive enough and there were alternatives available at a supplement. Only two criticisms would be 1) for the first two nights our waitress gave us no breathing space at all and our courses were served far too close for comfort, literally! 2) Forget ordering drinks from the bar from the dining room, there is one person dedicated to getting bar drinks and the system simply did not work, I would recommend visiting the bar first and taking your drink in with you! The bar area was nice; again the decor was very much to my taste. My partner and I were very interested in the building itself and so did some research whilst having a drink one night; it was quite interesting to read about the history of the building.

My main disappointment of the weekend was on the 2nd night (was so shattered on the 1st night, hadn’t noticed) I discovered that a pillow I had slept on the previous night was half covered in blood, what looked like someone had had a very bad nose bleed. Absolutely disgusted but too late to go to reception, I took the pillow down the following morning. It was obvious the member of staff on reception was shocked and they sent the cleaners to the room who had cleaned the room by the time we returned from our breakfast, manager apologised. As much as I appreciate they were as shocked as I, I didn’t feel a verbal apology was quite enough. It was totally disgusting and shocking that a pillow could be missed by the cleaning team and re-covered for the next guest, not to mention the hygiene issue.

All in all, I would stay at the St George again. If you are visiting for the first time, be aware the bathrooms are very tired (this may of course change!), the car park is near on impossible to get into (but this shouldn’t be enough to put you off), request a room at the rear of the hotel if you enjoy sleeping as there is a main road and clubs to the front, and check your pillows!

Room Tip: There is a main road to the front of the hotel and bars and clubs close by, so if you enjoy sleeping...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank missmixalot
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
I have read your review and thank you for your coments, firstly I'm glad that you appreciate the refurbishment of the lounge and bar areas. We are still in the process of updating the bathrooms and I will pass your comments onto my maintenance team. I'm pleased that you enjoyed the food on offer, the main reason for having a wine waiter is to assist guests due to the location of the hotel bar in relation to the restaurant, the majority of guests do tend to go to the bar before dinner for a drink and as you suggested do take these into the restaurant with them. We do however normally have two wine waiters to take orders and deliver drinks to guests during dinner, so apologise if this was not the case on this particular evening. Finally the blood stained pillow It's honestly beyond me how the housekeeping team could possibly have missed this when servicing the bedroom in between guest stays, I can assure you that I take hygiene extremely seriously and have already spoken to the Head Housekeeper about this not being acceptable. If you do decide to visit us again I would suggest trying a premier or superior room as these have been fully refurbished including brand new fitted bathroom suites.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

As a whole, the hotel was very nice. I love the swimming and spa facilities that were available to guests free of charge. There were however a few minor gripes.

The weekend I was there, there was a limited variety available on the dining menu. On one day alone there were five fish dishes on the starter and main course menu. This is fine if you like fish, however I do not. The desserts were very dull, and the continental breakfast was very poor. It was a half-hearted attempt; only offering a sliced of cheese and wafer thin ham. Also as the breakfast was self-service, and the hotel was fairly large; there was always a rush of people to get to the rotary toaster; so by the time you eventually get sat down, your food has gone cold.

As for the room, it was pleasant, a little on the dark side with poor lighting. It was however comfortable and perfectly clean. The view out of our window was very ugly too. We did however have to ask on both days for the heating to be switched on in our room as it did get very cold. The lounge and entertainment areas were lovely too.

The hotel is conveniently placed in the centre of town; which is great for looking around the shops, however because of this, the parking at the hotel is very limited. If you did manage to get a parking spot at the car park; the train into Knaresbourgh only a few £’s and is only a couple of stops away.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KatyReyn_lds
I'm saddened to read your gripes on your recent review, each day we have approximately 15 starter/main course dishes to choose from which include a variety of meat dishes, fish dishes and vegetarian options. The continental breakfast that we offer has an array of fresh fruit, yogurts, fruit juices, cereals, pastries, toast and preserves, cheeses and sliced meat, all of which are displayed in the centre of the restaurant easily accessible to all guests. The view out of your window must have being towards the back of the hotel and unfortunately does not have a view as such however these are much quieter rooms as they don't experience any road noise. I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed the free use of the leisure facilities during your stay.

Regards
Leigh on sea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

We have been to over twenty Shearings hotels,and the St George Hotel in Harrogate is one of the best that we have stayed at. Compliments to the manager and all the staff. Our room was spotless and every need was catered for us during our stay. The staff in every department were very helpful,polite,cheerful and efficient.The dinning room was beautiful, spacious and the meals were superb
We look forward to our next visit.

Janice and Roy from Essex

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank janice b
Dear Janice & Roy,
Twenty Shearings Hotels Excellent, I'm pleased that we are one of your favourites. I will personally pass your kind compliments on to my team to let them know to keep up the good work. If you have any room preferences before your next visit please feel free to call us beforehand and we will endeavour to do our best for you.

Regards