Country Living St. George Hotel
Cairn Hotel(Harrogate)
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
1,151 results
All reviewsshearings hotelsshearings holidaycoast countryleisure clubself servicespa facilitiesroyal hallrestaurant staffplenty of hot waterlick of paintpublic roomsweekend breakkipperscentral locationmy mumlovely townbuffet style
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 June 2012

We stayed at the St George Hotel just for one night, at first sight we thought 'Great' nice and local to the centre of Harrogate and even in the rain it looked a lovely place. Once in our small room we noticed a constant thudding, when asking reception about this, she said it could be the 'fan from the kitchen' and that it wouldn't go off until 10pm but asked if we would like another room. We took her up on this offer and moved to room 128, a much bigger room with better views! the downside was the bathroom was very dated, and needed much upgrading and there was a very bad musty smell. We felt we didn't want to move again and thought 'well it is only for one night' then i happened to look up at the curtain valance and it was covered with a massive layer of dust with the cobwebs hanging from it, looking like it hadn't been touched in months! everywhere else in the room appeared clean, but that was a very sore point especially if anyone staying there suffered from a bad chest or allergy! After our lovely evening out at one of Harrogates restaurants we came back for what we thought would be a calm peaceful night only to find that at 5.30 in the morning we were still experiencing lots of noise mainly people shouting outside what i now believe is a nightclub in close proximity, hence i think the need for double glazing!!!! On the upside the breakside was lovely, nicely presented and served.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at Country Living St. George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

I am sorry to read that you experienced some problems with your room during your stay, I am pleased that we were able to move you away from the kitchen fans which disturbed you. I have spoken with my housekeeping manager regarding the dust you found on the curtain pelmet and this issue has been resolved. I am in constant communication with the police and licensing authority regarding the noise caused outside the hotel, we do log complaints and pass them on so action can be taken. I am pleased you were able to enjoy a great breakfast before you departed.

Reviewed 5 June 2012

Just had a 4 night break at this hotel. While St George provides excellent value it is not a 5 star hotel, but then it does not pretend to be.
Car parking spaces can now be reserved at £5/night & this gives peace of mind when parking.
Having said that a lot of the guests come by coach so have no need of parking.
The staff are absolutely excellent with nothing too much trouble.
The sittuation is very good with easy acces to Valley Gardens & the main shopping areas.
I thought the pool was rather too warm for swimming, but most people just stood & talked.

Room Tip: Better rooms on the front but can be noisy due to traffic
1  Thank An_English_Man
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at Country Living St. George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a pleasant and honest review of the hotel. We are indeed a three star hotel and I am glad you found us to be a very good one. I am glad you found the pre-paid parking useful and it does provide peace of mind that you can just turn up at anytime and your space is reserved. The pool is kept at around 30c which is normal for a leisure pool, it is not really the type of pool you would swim 30 lengths in. I will pass your kind comments regarding the staff on to my team.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

Have just returned from my birthday weekend trip to Harrogate. A great deal of money has been spent on this hotel and all of the public areas I saw were lovely. It was very enjoyable sitting in the lounge area on the Saturday night listening to the live piano music - thank you to the pianist. The standard double room was clean and had obviously been refurbished fairly recently but the bathroom could have done with a clean shower curtain and the skirting boards washed down. The bath also had not been cleaned properly as you could feel the soap scum when you felt around with your hand. The food on the first night was fine. On the second night my fish was cold along with the sauce. This was a shame as the plate and the potatoes were hot! The staff in the dining room were kept very busy and I was not asked why I had left most of my meal on the plate. The weekend got off to a bad start as we had to park some considerable distance from the hotel (parking availability appears to be quite bad in Harrogate) but the weather was superb and that made up for everything.

1  Thank katyb459
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at Country Living St. George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2012

Thank you for your review of your sunny weekend in Harrogate. I am disappointed to read that you encountered some problems during your stay and I will get to the bottom of what went wrong. Could I ask that you contact me directly at the Hotel and let me know which rooms you were in?, It will help me to resolve the unacceptable housekeeping problems you experienced. I will also make sure that the restaurant manager and head chef are aware of the problems encountered on your 2nd night at dinner. I only wish you had spoken to the restaurant manager at the time who would have resolved the problem there and then. Parking is not usually a problem for guests who don’t have a space in the car park as there is a lot free disk parking in the streets nearby and a large multi- storey car park which is a two minute walk away. Thank you again for taking the time to post a review, I welcome all fair and constructive feedback. I hope the problems you experienced will not deter you from staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

Excellent staff, friendly and helpful at all times. Excellent choice of food and service in the restaurant. Our room had been recently refurbished although the TV was a little small. This was our 3rd. stay here in just over a year. What more can we say. We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post a few lines regarding the Hotel. Your review is to the point and enjoyable to read. I am particularly pleased that you found the staff friendly and helpful and all times. You will be pleased to hear that the new flat screen televisions have been ordered for all Coast and Country Hotels and they will be here in the next few weeks. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 27 May 2012

Dont trust the website details as think all photos were taken with a wide angled lens! we were so disappointed with this hotel as was booked as a treat :C From the moment we arrived at the car park and we were greeted by a member of staff who told us we had to leave as we hadnt booked a space (website said you couldnt). she promptly walked off without giving us the release code ( i really wished id left then but hotel would have charged us as it was after 12 same day). The staff were at best disinterested and at worst rude to patrons with the exception of Heather who managed to find us a place to park. PLEASE BE ADVISED THIS HOTEL SEEMS TO BE MAINLY FREQUENTED BY SHEARINGS COACH PARTIES.The decor downstairs was nice but the upstairs was shabby and dated but worse was to come when we entered our room.On the wall looked like a panic button, the paintwork was chipped and unfinished but the bathroom took the biscuit! Tiles were chipped, pipework rusty, bath tub stained, paint work shabby, cheap grab rails on side of bath and even the cistern was wonkey. Our room was on the roadside and any hope of a restful nights sleep was rudely shattered from 2-4:30 due to poor glazing when the nightclub started to empty (including too very unwell girls outside the hotel). As for the breakfast, the fruit was mouldy and i had to bring this to the attention of a member of staff, i asked for decaf coffee and was brough hot water and some instant coffee sachets but the table next to me had brewed coffee. Even the eggs had given up the ghost and the bacon looked boiled! i think it said it all when the lady on the next table gave out the biggest sign when her gruel..sorry porridge arrived.
I do hope to go back to Harrogate but will not be returning to this hotel as it was like Fawlty Towers but without the humour

1  Thank skye13
Stephen S, General Manager at Country Living St. George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2012

Your review is disappointing to read to say the least especially in view of the fact that we have had so many excellent reviews in the past few months. We have recently changed the car parking to offer guests the opportunity to reserve spaces for £5.00 per day, It is difficult to get all third party websites changed but we are working on this. The hotel is not mainly frequented by Shearings coach parties however this is part of our business as we operate as a Coast and Country Hotel which is owned by Shearings Hotels.
I am sorry you were not happy with the standard of your bedroom or indeed the bathrooms, the bathrooms are the next stage of the ongoing refurbishment programme however they are all neat, tidy, clean, and fully functional. Your comments regarding the staff seem strange, we receive so much praise for the friendliness and helpfulness of our staff. I find it hard believe that there was mouldy fruit on display at breakfast as we receive daily deliveries and the staff would not bring anything sub standard out into the restaurant in the first place. We seem to be able to please many different types of guests from business travellers to Shearings coach parties and it is a shame to read that you didn’t have a good word to say about us. I wish you had spoken to a member of my staff whilst you were here and we would have done everything in our power to rectify any issues.

Kind Regards