“'Good to go '”

Ranked #22 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Carlisle uk
“'Good to go '”
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Party of four stayed here over four day period ,comfortable hotel in a good location and certainly good value for money. Staff were helpful and very obliging ,parking is at a premium in this area ,however ,space was found for a second car which had not been booked at no charge.There are excellent hotels in Harrogate at prices to match , this hotel is to be recommended for the high level of service provided for the costs incurred.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel are subjected to the late night reminisces of passing revellers...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Stephen S, Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, 30 August 2012
Your review is a pleasure to read, I am happy you enjoyed your stay with us and found the hotel offers excellent value for money. There is ample free parking within a 10 minute walk of the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you again the future.

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
Reviewed 27 August 2012 via mobile

I'd read reviews and had pre booked parking a cost of £5. When I checked in I found that in the hotel information it said parking was free...I told the reception and they said if we see it we will take the charge off, they saw it but still didn't remove the charge! The room and hotel were really nice for an old hotel building and they'd made an effort to make it look nice with new decor. But in the evening when we tried to sleep the very loud music from a hotel wedding and people shouting outside meant we couldn't...when I tried to phone the reception to find out when it would finish no one answered...after 6 attempts I gave up! When I raised this in the morning the reception staff didn't even apologise! A very disappointing end to what could have been a lovely stay!

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. We do charge £5 for parking at the hotel and I apologise if the information in your room had not been updated to reflect this, I will ensure all bedroom information is checked this week. I am sorry to read that you were troubled by noise from the wedding here on Sunday evening. We did have the bass turned down at 11.00pm and the disco finished at 12.30am. I cannot understand why your call was not answered as the reception desk was manned and in any case the night porter has a pager which is linked to the front door and telephone. I hope that this disappointing end to your stay will not deter you from booking with us again in the future, please contact us in advance and ask for a quiet room if you plan on an early night.

Stockport
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Had a bit of confusion with parking on arrival, but it was sorted eventually. Nice room, just a single & plenty big enough. Very much liked the downstairs lounges and spent a lot f time in one one evening.
The staff were incredibly obliging. I did the Harrogate parkrun on the Saturday and returned just after 10, after breakfast had finished. However, the girl on reception had a word with the restaurant manager & they managed to rustle up scrambled eggs with smoked salmon & a lot of tea for me! this alone would make me stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank SarahAM
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed using the lounge which was fully refurbished to a high standard 2 years ago. I am pleased that the staff were able to accommodate you with a late breakfast which I am sure you needed after the Parkrun! With a little more training you will be back long before breakfast finishes on your next stay!

Ripon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Called here with friends for an evening drink and dinner. Nobody on reception, went through to bar to be served by a barman who clearly didn't want to be there. Television blaring out in lounge showing 'Pirates of the Caribbean'. Left without being offered a menu and will never return.
You have been warned!

Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank 323Stewart_M
I am disappointed to read your review as we always receive such praise for our staff and service and I believe your comments are somewhat unjust. We often have the television on in the bar if guests request this, it is only on in one half of the bar. The bar staff would not offer a restaurant menu unless they were specifically asked as the bar menu is on all the tables in the bar and lounge. The restaurant menu is only served in the restaurant and if you had asked the bar staff they would have been more than happy to get you a menu and enquire about availability in the restaurant for you. Pre-booking for dinner in the restaurant is essential as we get extremely busy.

Deputy General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I booked this hotel through booking.com in January for a stay 17th to 20th August for me and a friend. The booking information clearly said that free on site parking was available. What no body told us in advance was that this was changed in May, and that car parking has to be booked and I think there was a charge of about £5 per night, (but not 100% sure on that one). So, on arrival last Friday, we had to unload the car, then move the car up to Duchy Street then walk back to the hotel. It wasn't that far, but it was a bit of a pain.
However, our room was fine, a very good size with a table and two chairs and we overlooked The Royal Baths, so a lovely view. A good sized bathroom, but the shower was inconsistant, hot, then cold and no power in it. However, we also had a bath, which I made use of this morning. One of the windows in the bathroom wouldn't stay open, so we had to wedge it with empty drinks bottles. The room was hot, but the beds were comfy. A major downside, with it being a weekend was the noise from the all night revellers at the local night clubs. We couldn't shut the windows because it would have been too hot, but the revellers were still at it at 6 am! So if you can't stand noise, ask for a quiet room at the back somewhere. There was a wedding party in on the Saturday and that didn't disturb us at all.
They also ran out of bottles of sparkling mineral water!
The breakfast was good; cereals, fruit, yoghurts, croissants, toast, rolls to go with the cooked breakfast, which was very nice; only thing missing for me was mushrooms! The service with the tea/coffee at breakfast was a bit slow at times, but there was plenty of juice.
The pictures of the front of the hotel and the pool area are a bit misleading, but then most are.
Would I stay here again, probably yes, although I might look for something more in a back street.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet night, ask for a room away from the main streets. Also, the spa area is small.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Stephen S, Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us on the whole despite having a few problems. The parking is indeed £5.00 per night for a reserved space in our car park, there is ample free parking within a short distance of the hotel which you were directed to. It is nice to read that you found your bedroom to be a good size and well furnished. I am sorry if there were problems with hot and cold water pressure during your stay, I have not had anyone else mention this to me. I am also sorry to read you were disturbed by revellers in the town centre, our central location does mean there may be some noise on occasions. I have recently been in contact with the local environmental health officers who are speaking with bar owners to minimise noise disruptions. It is difficult to police people behaviour once they have left venues and are rowdy in the street, we do report any serious disturbances to the police at the time so that officers can attend to the revellers. As you mention a room at the back of the hotel does eliminate any noise problems and these can be requested in advance of arrival or at check in subject to availability.

Berwick-Upon-Tweed, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Had a brilliant weekend break. Centrally located so your in to the town and attractions with in minutes.Fantastatic individual shops in the centre, with lots of choice of places to eat or drink.Had a great couple of hours in the leasure part of the hotel using the hot tub, steam room sauna and swimming pool.Highly recommended Italian eatery next door to the hotel. Had a great night out around the bars especially bar19 which had a great age range of people and music which was kicking. Overall great all round weekend and a hearty yorkshire breakfast to see us off.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris H
I am so pleased to read that you had a brilliant break in Harrogate and the hotel clearly facilitated this. Harrogate really is a beautiful town and a fantastic place to live or visit. I am glad you found time to make use of our leisure facilities during your stay.

Harlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Lovely looking main hotel, room and bathroom were a nice size but in need of re-decoration. Bedroom had low level lighting which wasn't sufficient to read by or put on make-up. Hotel has a small car park that you have to pay extra for and pre-book. We arrived on a Saturday night and were able to park on the street outside free after 6pm and all day Sunday. Rooms have VERY squeaky floor boards and we were woken up Sunday morning by the squeaking from the room above. Breakfast was nice and the staff were very friendly. All-in-all we weren't very impressed for the price paid though.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jobenina
Thank you for your review, I am sorry to read you were not completely satisfied with your stay. We have replaced or repaired a lot of the older creaky floorboards but in a building which is over 100 years old some creaks are inevitable, however if this woke you it is unacceptable. Please contact me and let me know which room you were in and I will have my maintenance team investigate and rectify this matter to avoid future disturbances. I am pleased you enjoyed breakfast and found the staff friendly.