“Faded Elegance”

The St George Hotel
Ranked #23 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 14 September 2012

While the hotel has seen better days it was clean and comfortable. All the staff were polite and helpful, the breakfast service was fast and efficient.
The single room I stayed in was very comfy, could do with more storage or a suitcase stand.
I had read some other reviews which found lots of faults so I wasn't sure what to expect but I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the the standard.
The only thing that could be looked at is handing in your key when you go out,at times the was a queue at reception to collect your key.
Had a really enjoyable stay and hope to visit again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
8  Thank Sheila O
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2012

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and agree that some of the previous reviews are somewhat harsh. It is not compulsory to hand in your key when you go out it is just preferred for security reasons and in order to save time checking empty rooms in the event of an emergency evacuation. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you again.

Reviewed 12 September 2012

We had lunch at the Hotel recently. I wanted to pay by card, but was told that the card machine was out of order. We managed to find some cash, but were made to feel very uncomfortable. We were also overcharged until we challenged this and it was rectified, but without apology. When our lunch arrived it was just left on the tray on the table and not actually served to us. The bread was dry and crusts inedible. We had no crisps with the salad and sandwiches, despite being on the menu. No one bothered to clear away once we had finished, though they did not appear to be very busy. Come on St. George, buck your ideas up and a little more thought and care would pay dividends. Not the standard we would expect or find acceptable.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank 839Robertb

I am sorry to read you were dissatisfied on a recent visit to us for lunch. We did have a credit card terminal failure which was due to an internet problem, I am sorry if you felt you were made to feel uncomfortable but I assure you it was unavoidable, technology is great when it works. I have passed your comments on to both the head chef and bar manager to find out why the food and service was not up to our usual standard. I assure you this is not how thing usually are and I hope you will give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves by visiting again at some point in the future.

Reviewed 11 September 2012

I booked two single rooms for my mother and myself over her birthday weekend of 1-3 September 2012. Both rooms (numbers 133 and 134) were quite small and the bathrooms were in desperate need of modernization. My room had a frosted glass window as it overlooked the car park. The decor (mustard and chocolate paint) was very oppressive. No pictures on walls. Old fashioned chunky TV. Beds not very comfortable; toppers do not compensate for worn out mattresses. That said, everything you need is there and it is clean, it just doesn't have any style/comfort.
The public areas are smarter and better maintained and we were happy with the food served in the bar (impressively quick service despite being busy due to a wedding reception).

HOWEVER: the main problem, and one which tarnished the entire weekend, was the car parking fiasco. I had reserved a space when I made the booking (all spaces have to be reserved at £5 per night); I thought it would make like easier as my mother has limited mobility, but I was wrong! When we arrived mid-afternoon we were told there was no record of my reservation and no longer any spaces available. After MUCH discussion with various members of staff, I was told to park in a hashed area alongside a wall, in front of a door, with a "No Parking" sign. Not the sort of hassle you need after a 4½ hour journey! The promised space for the following day also failed to materialize until very late in the day. (The problem, at least sometimes, is that people don't seem to be aware they should vacate spaces by 12pm on the day they check out.) The cones at the entrance to the car park and the barrier also seem to create more problems than they solve.... the spaces themselves are awkward and small and, with all the double parking and tight manoeuvring, there is a high risk of damage to your car. One of the worst car parks I have ever experienced (and I stay in many hotels on business). It was in fact so bad that on one ocassion I couldn't face the stress of getting my car out of the car park and travelled by taxi to visit a relative living nearby!!

For this reason alone, I would never stay here again, despite the attractive and convenient location of the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Gillian B

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us, I’m glad you enjoyed our attractive and convenient location. I am sorry that you did not like the décor of your bedroom and found the bathrooms in desperate need of modernisation, granted some of them have old suites but I trust you found it well maintained and spotlessly clean. I apologise for the problem with your car parking booking this is the first time this has occurred, the system is new and has been working very well for us and the guests. I am pleased that the staff were able to offer you an alternative space within the car park for your stay.

Reviewed 7 September 2012

Recently stayed at the George and wont be returning.

There was no hot water for two days. Apparently a boiler problem. One day you can accept, not two.

They have introduced a £5 per night car park charge, when it use to be free

The "free" wifi didn't work in the room, or any of the ground floor. The signal was too poor to be useable and i checked with my phone and laptop, in reception area and near the restaurant. I ended up using my phone connection.

And really bizarrely, they have reduced the size of the breakfast plate, although the breakfast itself was adequate.

breakfast 7.30 until 9
Dinner 6pm until 8pm. Dine out.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank couresportivo
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2012

I am sorry that you experienced some problems during your stay. We did have a problem with one of our boilers last week which intermittently affected some bedrooms in the hotel, the problem has now been rectified. We have introduced a £5.00 per day charge for reserved parking which means that guests now have their own space for the duration of their stay and don’t have to worry about parking when they return after a day out. All the feedback we have had on the new parking arrangements has been positive.
The free WiFi is working throughout the hotel and always does, I personally use it daily and have no problems as do numerous other guests, I assume you did not ask for help in connecting at reception.
The size of the breakfast plate is more than adequate for our guests and means that people don’t have to carry large heavy plates around the restaurant, we have used the same size plate for a number of years now.

Reviewed 7 September 2012

Restaurant decor ok, food average ---all corridors shabby and in need of decoration. We saw 3 rooms and they were shabby and in dire need of a facelift. We had to move rooms due to a plumbing problem, the noise in the pipes was unbelievable, I likened it to someone using a pneumatic drill in the room above, kept us both awake all night. The room they gave us (like it or lump it attitude) had a 3foot by 1 foot damp stain in the corner of the ceiling and the sash window was wedged open with a block of wood ---this window could not be opened any further or closed. This is by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. It was aholiday surprise for my wifes birthday ---it was so bad I ended up taking her away somewhere else the following week. Beware.

Room Tip: I dont think they exist here
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank David J

It is disappointing to read your negative review. The rooms are not shabby nor are in dire need of a facelift, the vast majority of rooms have been refurbished in the past three years. We concentrated on public areas and bedrooms as this is where guests spend most time, the corridors will be decorated in due course. Following your complaint about noise from pipes above your room we were more than happy to move you to another room to solve the problem for you. You looked at the room before moving and didn’t complain about it to us whilst you were here. I can not emphasise enough to future guests that all the staff are here to make guests stays as enjoyable as possible but we can only do this if issues are raised with us whilst people are in the hotel.

Reviewed 6 September 2012

We went to The George with Shearings. The upper floors are in dior need of modernising, our toilet wasn't even screwed to the floor. The hotel is situated within easy walking distance of the town, however our bedroom was at the front and the noise from the main road together with the all night revellers made sleep impossible. The lift which is very old broke down and we were rescued by the fire brigade. The spa is nice but the pool is small, however the staff and food were very good and the area lovely. We would go to Harrogate again but not stay at The George which is in desperate need of a uplift.

Room Tip: Dont accept a room at the front of the hotel. If you want a nice room then you need to upgrade from...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay with us, firstly all of the toilets are secured to the floor in all bedrooms and the suggestion that they aren’t seems a little odd. The hotel is indeed situated in the town centre and thus in easy reach of all the town’s shops and attractions, unfortunately occupying a fantastic central location does come with some town centre noise however the rooms at the rear of the hotel are quiet and these can be requested. I am sorry to hear that you were in the lift when it broke down and had to be rescued by the fire brigade the lift is fully maintained, serviced and tested on a six monthly basis to ensure that it is running correctly and safely, unfortunately from time to time lifts do develop a fault and break down. I am sorry to read that you would not stay with us again if you were in Harrogate, as a room at the rear would stop any noise problems.

Reviewed 3 September 2012

We have been on coach holidays for the past 20 years - mainly Shearings. As we wanted to spend our Diamond Wedding anniversary in a Hotel with historical character, we chose the St. George in Harrogatefor a 5 day break with Shearings. What a great choice ! Everything about the St George was special. The welcoming and courteous reception staff, the fabulous dining room and attentive waiters - together with the wide range of dishes available was remarkable. On our return from an excursion, on the day of our anniversary, we were surprised on entering our room to find a complimentary bottle of bubbly and two glasses on a silver tray from the management - together with a card from Her Majesty the Queen (organised secretly by one of our daughters in cooperation with the Hotel Management). It was a most wonderful day and we shall always remember such thoughtfulness and kindness. Our room had everything we needed and was kept spotlessly clean. My wife and I have no hesitation in recommending the St. George to anyone wanting a break in a charming friendly and homely Hotel.in a most idealic setting in Harrogate. MANY THANKS to the management and staff of the St. George for making our Diamond Anniversary so memorable !

Cath & Ted Beaumont

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Your review is an absolute pleasure to read! I am pleased that you could not fault your stay with us and your praise for the staff and food is most kind. I am pleased you enjoyed the bottle of bubbly to toast your Diamond Anniversary. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.