“Another visit. Completely satisfied.”

The St George Hotel
Ranked #22 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 2 November 2012

We had room 128 this time and although the view is partially of a fire escape the quality of this renovated room is very good. Again the service from the desk and dining room staff was exemplary. Although there has been changes to the dinner menus, the choice though restricted is more than adequate. The quality of food from this kitchen is comparable with some of the better restaurants in Harrogate.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a second positive review of The St George. I am pleased you found the quality of your renovated room very good. I will pass your kind comments on to the staff about the exemplary service you received. We have recently changed the menu in the restaurant and I am pleased to hear you were happy with it. There is one choice less on the table d hote menu however we do now offer an a la carte menu which guests on half board can have at a discounted price if they would like more choice. Your comment that our food is comparable with some of the better restaurants in Harrogate is most kind.

Reviewed 31 October 2012

I went for two nights with my daughter on a late rooms deal. The hotel was central and the room was comfortable I usually feel too hot in hotels but the bedroom was freezing - no heating in late October in North Yorkshire..... Luckily there was a Primark nearby so I invested in some fleecy pj's. We did report it and someone came but they couldn’t work it out and promised to come back, they never did.
Most of the staff were great (one receptionist with serious attitude problem - if you don't like the general public... get a job NOT in the hospitality industry!)
Overall Central and good value for money

Room Tip: Take warm clothes
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2012

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to read that our customer service failed in regard to the heating in your bedroom. I will be speaking to the Duty Management team to find out what went wrong. We do have some portable heaters and one of these should have been brought to your room if the problem with the heating couldn’t be resolved. I am glad you found the staff great but disappointed you had a problem with one of our receptionists, I would like to discuss your comments with the staff member concerned and would ask you to contact me directly so that I can establish who it was and gather further details of the incident.

Reviewed 26 October 2012

We had a four night stay at this hotel operated by Coast & Country. On arrival the hotel seemed a bit dark and dingy. However the check-in was prompt and friendly. We had paid for allocation in the car park (£5 per day) which was marked by a cone with our name and car registration. Probably cheaper and more convenient than using town car parks. I thought the hallways looked even more dingy with badly chipped paintwork but when we got to our room it was smart and bright. We had upgraded to a superior room so was relieved to see the decor was good. Our room had view of The Baths ( now an upgraded Chinese restaurant) and the gardens at the front. This hotel is situated right in the middle of the town which made it an excellent position for shops and attractions. Our bathroom was newly fitted so it was definetely up to standard. There was a choice of 4 mealtimes for dinner between 6.30pm and 8.00pm There was a choice of 3 starters,meals and puddings. Vegetarians are catered for in these 3 choices.There is an a' la carte menu with generous discounts but would have had to wait longer to have this cooked specially. The bar service was bad if you wanted a drink later in the evening. The bar server was never there and the bar was empty with no hotel guests drinking. This led to the hotel having no atmosphere. We went out to the local Hales Bar along the road which has original gas lighting. It was quiet most nights but on Thursday there was a Kareoke taking place so if you don't like this then avoid this night. There wasn't much else to do in Harrogate in the evening. I was hoping for something worth seeing in the two theatres but nothing was on during our stay.

Room Tip: We upgraded to a superior room at cost £100 for 4 nights. You can then be sure of a room with a vie...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2012

Thank you for another great review of the hotel! I am pleased you enjoyed staying in one of our fully refurbished superior rooms, they are well worth the extra money if you want to have a brand new room and bathroom. We are currently in the process of decorating the hotel corridors. I am however sorry to read that you had problems being served in the bar, I will be speaking to the Bar Manager as soon as I have posted this response. It is difficult to create an atmosphere in the bar if the majority of guests go up to their rooms after dinner. We do have an autopiano in the lounge which plays each evening for your enjoyment.

Reviewed 25 October 2012

A well located, old building, with very friendly, helpful staff. Although we paid to reserve a parking space it was worth it, so well organised with your name & car registration number on a cone in your allocated space. Our room was large, clean & had very large comfortable twin beds. If I criticised anything the bathroom wallpaper was lifting at the edges & the toilet roll holder was loose. the bedroom window wasn't easy to open & the wooden frame needs attention. We kept the window closed to cut out the noise from the International Centre across the road on the Friday & Saturday nights, but not bad enough to need ear plugs! We were on a bargain break so it was excellent value, the food was good & lots of it, we could have paid a supplement to order from the a la carte menu but we were happy with the included menu. Nice lounge areas, we didn't use the pool/spa. We were lucky with the gorgeous autumn weather & if your purpose is to explore Harrogate town then everything is close by, would stay here again.

Room Tip: Expect some noise at weekend as this hotel is in the town centre so maybe a room overlooking the car...
1  Thank Susan K

I am pleased you enjoyed your trip to Harrogate and found our central location great for exploring Harrogate. I am sorry there were some minor issues with the decoration in your bathroom, my maintenance team do work very hard to keep up with minor repairs and I am confident it has been fixed by now. I am pleased you were not bothered too much by noise from the town centre but as you correctly say a room at the rear does eliminate this completely and can be requested by contacting us a week prior to arrival.

Reviewed 23 October 2012

Booked a self drive weekend break through Shearings on a half board basis. The hotel was lovely and full of character and was situated in an ideal location for Harrogate town centre and was an excellent base for other local attractions. The staff were really friendly and helpful. Mealtimes were well organised and there was a good selection of food for both breakfast and evening meals. There was a good selection of wines on offer too. The dining room, lounges and our bedroom were comfortable and decorated to a high standard and the ensuite bathroom was really spacious and included a bath and a shower. The Hotel has a lift and caters well for people with reduced mobility. Having the use of a heated swimming pool. spa and gym was an added bonus. Would definately return.

2  Thank pollyj522

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a nice positive review of your stay with us. It really is a pleasure to read and I look forward to passing your comments on to my team. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 22 October 2012

Arrived at the hotel to be told room wasnt ready so had to spend over an hour sat in reception not a good start .The room was shabby with stains on the carpet and a cracked window .The room overlooked the car park which was ok but i could only open the window a fraction so couldnt really look out .The bathroom was shabby and there was a pool of water on the floor as either the toilet or sink unit was leaking.The mattress was very lumpy and uncomfortable .Breakfast ok as it was self service and there was a wide variety of choices.The evening meals however were not nice very tough meat ,a couple times i sent meals back as i could not eat them .On the whole the place needs refurbishment .

Room Tip: Opt for the top floor as sound insulation isnt very good
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
11  Thank nicola s

I am sorry to read that you were so disappointed with your recent stay with us. We try and get rooms ready as quickly as possible and rooms are always ready by check in time at 3pm, I trust you arrived early and the staff made sure your room was ready as soon as possible. All the windows in guest rooms have restricted opening, this is common practice in the hotel industry as a whole and is for health and safety reasons. I am particularly concerned that you felt your bedroom and bathroom were so shabby, I do not believe we have any rooms which are in the state you mention. Please contact me directly with the room number you stayed in and I will personally investigate further. Again I am sorry that you were not happy with the evening meals in the restaurant, we usually receive praise regarding our food as you will have seen in other reviews. I hope you will reconsider your decision not to stay with us again and would ask that you contact me directly should you wish to make a future reservation so that we have the opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Reviewed 22 October 2012

My wife and I travelled with my Mother by Shearings coach to the St George Hotel, Harrogate for a five day break(15-19 October). The hotel appears to have undergone a fairly recent refurbishment as all public areas were well presented with good paintwork and furnishings. Indeed our bedroom was also very clean with good facilities and a very large bathroom with a modern semi circular bath with shower. My Mother's single room was also clean and adequate, although she would have appreciated a chest of drawers in the room. We requested quite rooms at the back of the hotel and whilst they lacked a good view, they ensured we could sleep well.

The hotel staff were very friendly and efficient. The restaurant was spacious and very well run. Buffet breakfast was very good, as was the the food at the evening meal. As on a coach trip the choice was limited. However, the option was available to choose a meal from the full menu at a reduced price.

A well equipped gym and a good sized swimming pool were available for those guests wishing to use them.

The only criticism we would have about the hotel is the lack of any entertainment while we were there. This led to the bar and lounge areas being underused and a general lack of atmosphere in the hotel after the evening meal had been served. We were not expecting or wanting to play bingo, but the so called relaxed entertainment was so relaxed we failed to find it.

Overall I would certainly recommend this hotel. It has a prime position in Harrogate, it is clean, well run with good accommodation and food.

1  Thank JP1Surrey

Thank you for posting an excellent and detailed review of your time with us, I am sure it will be of help to other guests planning a stay. The inclusive table d ‘hote menu and daily specials are included in half board packages and as you state there is an a la carte menu which guests can also dine from at a discounted price. I am pleased you found our leisure club to be well equipped and the pool well sized. We have recently moved over to being a hotel without entertainment providing a more relaxed atmosphere for our guests, however this is constantly reviewed.