“Several significant problems but overall good” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The St George Hotel

The St George Hotel
Ranked #22 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
uk
“Several significant problems but overall good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2012

Problems:
Incredibly noisy if you are trying to sleep when there is a function on.
Don't turn up expecting to be able to park - this needs to be arranged well in advance and there still might not be any available.
Staff seem unable to cope with bar orders when hotel has a function on - waits of over half an hour at the bar seemed to be the norm.
Breakfast was functional and the dining room fills quickly so you may have to wait; staff are, at best, adequate here (unlike recection where staff where helpful and friendly).
Shower - temperature variable and low power

Good points:
Fantastic location
Lovely characterful buidling
Big room with loads of floor and wardrobe space
Christmas meal delicious and quirky
Gym small but had several working cardio machines and a selection of dumbells

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank jessjones
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, 20 December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. All comments are an invaluable tool for us to improve and review the way we do things in the future. With regards to parking in the hotel, this is certainly one area that we are constantly reviewing, we do reserve spaces for guests on a first come first served basis and it is vital that it is reserved in advance.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Newcastle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2012

Have just returned from a Fri/Sat night break on a £89 per night deal, b/b and evening meal , with another couple. Booked the parking for £10, left it there all weekend, knowing it was pretty safe and not having to worry about it. The spaces are a little bit tight, but if everyone parks correctly everything is ok. Drove down from the Northeast on the M1, took the exit 50 and came into Harrogate on the A61 which brings you to the hotel without having to go through major built up areas.
We booked in early and got our rooms straightaway, we had the option to charge everything to our rooms, as we had drinks with our meals, and at the bar, and drinks during the day we should have taken this option instead of paying cash all the time.
Our rooms 217 and 219 were facing the Royal Baths across the Cresent Gardens on the second floor, there is a small lift in reception (4 people max). The rooms were spacious, with good sized bathrooms, writing desk, table and 2 chairs, tv with freeview, plenty of tea making items and bathroom sundries, also hairdrier iron and ironing board. The rooms were spotless and the furnishings was in good condition. One small irk, there is a nightclub about 50m over the road and as it was the weekend you could hear people shouting, the room I was in had the framework for secondary glazier but didn't have the glass units installed, my friends room next door had the units in and he didn't hear anything.
We thought the food at breakfast and dinner to be very good, bacon, eggs and sausages to be cooked well, and fresh vegtables with dinner.
The leisure facilities were a bonus after a few hours shopping, nice to relax in the pool and steamroom, nice to have if it's a rainy day.
Sitting around the bar and lounge area was pretty relaxed, snacks and drinks can be bought during the afternoon, bar opened until 11pm at night, worthington beer £3.40/pint
The hotel is located close to the shops, which are a good range of expensive and less expensive shops, cafes, bars etc.
There is a reasonable range of bars in the area but with it being a weekend were very full and noisy, might be ok during the week, the Montpellier was the quietest no loud music etc.
Overall we thought that our stay was enjoyable and good value for money.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank john h
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, 14 December 2012
What a pleasure to read! thank you very much for taking the time to post such a positive review of your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you next time you visit Harrogate.

Dumfries, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

We were at your hotel between 03/12/12 and 07/12/12 there was my self and my husband and my mam and dad, the hotel its self is dated BUT it is an old building and I think that gives it character also it is maintained. The bedrooms are of good size and really warm, loads of hot water for a nice relaxing bath after you have wondered around all day. The public areas are lovely, they have really comfortable seats to sit in after your dinner, also you get a £25.00 voucher to spend on drink or snacks while you are there. To be honest I think it is value for money.
Both my husband and I had a back massage when we were there, what a lovely girl she is that dose the beautician side and that was only £15 per head a real bargain..... We didn't get a chance to use the pool or gym but it looked well maintained and the staff at the gym were lovely as well...
The staff on reception were also lovely and helpful.
When it came to the dinning room the food and breakfast was more than fine but as previous comment have stated the staff were a little slow now I'm not sure if this was because they are short staffed or not as all the staff seemed to be busy all the time, mind after saying that all the staff in dining room was also lovely and helpful
Over all yes I would stay here again it is in a very good central location and considering it only cost £42 per night each and that was breakfast and 3 course dinner with coffee, I think its very reasonably priced for what you get. If people want a 5 star hotel then you really should be paying 5 star prices For what this hotel offers at the price they offer it at I don't think you can go wrong From Gail, Peter, Pearl & Jimmy.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Gail a
Thank you for your review, it's great to hear that you enjoyed your break and made the most of or facilities. I will pass on your kind comments to my staff.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2012

Have stayed at this hotel on many occassions over the last 20 years - It's central location and leisure facilities being the attraction, but our latest visit will be our last! This once great hotel has lacked investment and it is now drab and outdated - to say it is tired is an underestimation! We asked for a quiet room and were placed at the front of the hotel by a fire door so what sleep we had was disturbed! £10 for parking and a restaurant full of coach travellers on a "cheep" break typifies this poor hotel!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Richard W
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, 6 December 2012
I am surprised by your comments as if you have stayed at the St George on many occasions over the last 20 years you could not fail to see the investment in the hotel by Shearings over the last 3 - 4 years. The outside of the building, the public areas and many bedrooms have been refurbished with over 1.5 million pounds having been spent, previously no money had been spent for nine years. Many guests prefer to reserve parking for peace of mind during their stay, you could have chosen to park on one of the many streets near by. I find your comments regarding coach travellers insulting, yes we do have coach parties alongside many private guests.

Edwina

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2012

We have just returned from a weekend break from this hotel. When we booked it was stated that parking could be booked in advance, we never booked and had to find parking. Yes it can be daunting when you arrive in the dark and not knowing the area. If you have a mobility condition, I would suggest you book parking as it could be a ten minute walk back to the hotel. We were on the first floor and due to being so central there was a high noise level from the traffic, which meant the window had to be kept closed to reduce noise level, no need to have heating on in room, once window was closed the room felt very warm. Beds were very comfortable, and pleanty of hot water for a bath. Reception staff throughout the weekend were pleasant and helpful. Resteraunt had good lighting and was clean, breakfast was self service, good choice and well cooked. Evening meals were well presented and served by cheerful waiters/waitress staff, nothing seemed to be any trouble. Room staff were cheerful and helpful also kept the room clean. We used the spa facilities which were kept to a high standard by expereinced staff.

We have stayed at many Shearings hotels over the years, I have to say this is the best by far.
Maybe this could be a flagship hotel for shearings, and allow other Shearings hotel staff to visit and to learn by example.

Thankyou for a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: To avoid a high noise level, request a high level room.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2012
Thank you for you wonderful review, the staff will be really chuffed to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us. Hopefully we'll see you in Harrogate again very soon.
Kind Regards
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2012

We stayed at the St George's Hotel in Harrogate on Saturday 24th November, in room 106 and had been looking forward to the stop after a visit last year by my parents, and I come to the Knitting and Stitching show each year, so thought this would be a lovely treat, especially as it's 24 years since I met my husband, so this was supposed to be a romantic weekend away for us.

Although the room was of a good size, the bathroom was in a very poor state (although we were told by the receptionist on checkout that this is the next part of the refurbishment), the noise from the road outside was really bad and nothing could be done about this.

But the worst thing was the plumbing noise from the two adjacent rooms, from one side we got a loud noise when the cistern from the toilet was refilling, and from the other side, not only did we get this noise, but then this was followed by what sounded like a pneumatic drill. Unfortunately, these noises went on until after 11:30 at night (no fault of the occupants of these rooms) and then started again at 7am, so you can imagine with this, accompanied by the road noise, we hardly got any sleep that night.

We did point this out to the receptionist on check out, but I feel as though it should be put in writing about our disappointment. I have tried to email the manager of the hotel twice, but got no reply.

Also, we booked our room well in advance, and were also not told about the change to the car park and had to park elsewhere in the town, although we were offered a disc so we could stay in the disc zone.

Room Tip: bring some ear plugs
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Bedroom 106 is a lovely bright room, the bathroom is a little dated but spotlessly clean and serviceable. I'm sorry that you encountered problems with noise from the plumbing during your stay, had you reported this prior to your departure it would have allowed us to rectify the problem for you. We are in a very central position in Harrogate and benefit from easy access to the shops and amenities, this does mean there is a certain amount of traffic noise, for future reference you are able to request a quiet room at the back of the hotel.

Kind Regards
Skelmersdale, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2012

I've been staying here for many years, since it was a Swallow hotel. It's great because it's bang int he centre of town and had free parking on site,had being the operative word. I booked in January and was sent a letter advising that there was free parking for the use of guests. On arrival I was asked if I had reserved a parking space and when I said no, I was told all the spaces were full and I would have to park elsewhere and that I could have a space the next day at a charge of £5. i pointed out my reservation letter clearly stated free parking for guests and was told this policy had changed in April and all booked guests had been notified. I pointed out that I had not been so notified at which the receptionist shrugged and said all spaces were fully booked. It's just not making a fuss about nothing as there is literally nowhere to park in the town. I then asked to speak to someone in authority and was left to sit for some time until eventually the receptionist returned to say the person in charge was busy dealing with food orders and there was nothing they could do but I could have a free space the next day. I ended up having to drive half a mile away to find some where to park on the open street and then having to walk the half mile back into town. This totally spoiled the first day of our trip, as we are both elderly ladies and found the incident very upsetting, not to mention the walking! Having said that the rest of the stay was pleasant. The hotel is comfortable, the rooms had been refurbished since our last stay and it is very central for the exhibition centre and the shops etc. As it is so central there can be a lot of street noise at night and traffic noise but the hotel itself is quiet. The bar area has been extended this year and offers very reasonable hot snacks from lunchtime up until 10 at night, in addition to the hotel restaurant. Sadly it no longer offers room service which used to be a nice option. There is also a health suite with sauna, jacuzzi, steam room and small pool as well as a fitness room. Pool wasn't working first night but that was not their fault but due to local flooding. Breakfast has a good choice and the dining room is very pleasant. Once we got over the iniital upset we enjoyed our stay. It does rankle to be asked to pay such a high price to park as a guest, more and more hotels are pulling this trick. It appears that part of the car park at this hotel has been disposed of, making what remains much smaller and therefore guests will have to compete for places so be warned or come on the train!

Room Tip: Choose a high floor if you want to avoid traffic and street noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank skemjazzer
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, 29 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I’m deeply sorry that we could not offer you a space in the car park. As you are aware car parking in Harrogate is at a premium, which is exactly the reason why we have implemented these new measures to ensure that our guests at least have a chance of a space, That said however as you point out the car park has reduced in size and now only has 35 spaces, once these are taken, other guests are directed to the free street parking surrounding the hotel or the Multi-storey car park which is just 2 minutes walk away.
I’m pleased you enjoyed the refurbishment of the hotel so far and please be assured of our guests best interests at all times. I hope to welcome you back in the future.