“Brilliant New Year's Eve - Three night break”

The St George Hotel
Ranked #21 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Brilliant New Year's Eve - Three night break”
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Normally my wife and I stay at home for the New Year but this year we decided to go away for the celebrations and we're glad we did. We had a fantastic time. The hotel management and staff, to a person, could not have been more welcoming and obliging. On New Year's Eve the dining room was magical: the tables tastefully set with all the trimmings, helium balloons suspended over a specially prepared dance area with easy listening and disco music laid on. The meal, five courses plus tea or coffee, was well prepared and beautifully presented by the very attentive waiters. Entertainment on the other evenings was fairly standard. The 'Brunch', on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day was excellent.
Our room (standard) was very spacious with ample space for clothes etc. It was at the front of the hotel and there was a little street noise which was to be expected since it was in the centre of a town and it was New Year. The beds were clean and comfortable and the room generally well appointed although there were some areas of the bathroom requiring maintenance.
The architecture of the building is impressive but the general decor did in places need a little TLC.
Overall it was a great four days and we would certainly go back again.

1 Thank Jayenkay
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, 11 January 2013
Thank you for your kind comments, it's so pleasing to hear that guest's enjoyed New Year as much as we did ourselves. I will pass on your comments to the staff.
Happy New Year.
Edwina

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights as a single traveller on a Shearings coach holiday and really enjoyed myself. My single room had everything I needed for a comfortable stay. There was some street noise from outside in the evenings as I was at the front of the hotel, above the entrance, but nothing unbearable. Dining room was lovely and I had a table to myself for each meal which was great. Food choice and service was excellent. Ideal location very close to town centre and in walkable distance from National Trust gardens, through the valley gardens.
Spa facilities were good, although the pool is very small.

Room Tip: Rooms probably a little quieter at the back of the building.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
11 Thank C S
It's good to hear that you enjoyed your stay and made use of the Leisure facilities. You are right in saying we are in an ideal location to make the most of Harrogate's shops and gardens.
All the best for 2013.
Regards
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I came to the hotel on a four night midweek trip with Shearings, my first experience of such a holiday. I asked for a quiet upstairs room with my wife, and was allocated room 309 overlooking the car park. I was pleasantly surprised. I thought the room was warm, clean, comfortable and quiet.
Everything worked as it should, and the water was piping hot. The shower was easy to use.
I had brought my own kettle etc, but the room had an excellent kettle, and a generous assortment of tea and coffee sachets. The domestic staff cleaned the room very well, and there was a nice fresh smell on returning from our daily outings. I notice the corridors were being painted during my stay so re-furbishment is ongoing
We found the food quite acceptable. One or two courses disappointed, but that is the case everywhere, surely, during a 5 day stay.
The bar area was my only slight criticism. The barman had a habit of disappearing for long periods and I often had to ask reception to rustle him up. He didn't have any people skills when he did surface. Shame really because the dining room staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. Perhaps it is a nationality thing. I once spent two weeks in Croatia and never once saw a smile!!
£99 each for a four night stay with a day trip to York and outings to Skipton and Leeds, and a £50 food and drink voucher thrown in. My wife spent most of the break feeling embarrassed at such outstanding value for money.
I would certainly return to the St George Hotel. Being there felt like wearing a comfortable pair of shoes. Congratulations to Shearings and the staff at the St George Hotel.

Room Tip: I think it's the luck of the draw. Room 309 suited us fine. Some picky guests might complain at...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found it excellent value for money. I'm sorry that you felt the bar man was not friendly, I will cetainly follow this up.
All good wishes for 2013.
Sevenoaks
Reviewed 29 December 2012

For a three star hotel we found the choice and quality of the food excellent. The staff were always very helpful and cheerful. Our room and beds were clean and well appointed.
The hotel has a lot of character and the architecture in the dining room is impressive.
The downside was that the hot water had air in the system. T have a shower we had to run the water in to the bath and once running hot, the shower was fine. A waste of water!
The quality of the decorating in places was poor. Although it had obviously been recently painted in our corridor, the finish could have been a lot better. The management should not have accepted it. The upside is that the building is kept very clean.
This was our third visit in four years.

1 Thank MikeCKemsing
Thank you for your kind comments, it's good to hear that you enjoyed your break with us.

Happy New Year
Regards
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2012

We have just returned from a four day Christmas Break which was a huge disappointment & and let down. On checking the room on arrival the bed sheets were stained and had to be changed which should have told us something but looking forward to our break we went with it. The Hotel has some wonderfull features but is lacking in care - the paintwork is chipped and sadly in the whole place needs a great deal of paint & paper as well as a deep clean. Our bedroom & bathroom doors had dirty fingerprints and lost of dust & dirt on the skirting boards.
Wosre yet to come - THE FOOD - I hardly ate anything over the whole period. My Christmas dinner was salmon - it came covered in sauce which was congelled on the plate, new potates which were full of "black eyes" and soggy veg. Another meal was goats cheese & beetroot tart with potatoes or scampy & chips - I asked if I could have the tart with chips (after my experirence with the potates) and was told yes but there was a supplement!! The pool was out of action too.

Room Tip: We were at the front of the hotel suggest the back but really save your money
3 Thank Chalky30
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, 29 December 2012
I am very surprised to read your review, firstly let me apologige for problem with your room on arrival. It is very unfair and untrue to suggest the hotel is dirty as we pride ourselves on our housekeeping standards. Yes there are areas of the hotel that need redecorating however many areas have been recently refurbished to a very high standard. I have just read comment cards completed by guests on the same break as yourselves, they praise both the food and the service during the Christmas break. I'm sorry you do not feel the same.
Edwina

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

Keighley
Reviewed 26 December 2012

Have stayed here a few times when attending work social events rather than drive home, most recently for Christmas party (which was at the Holiday Inn, Harrogate). This hotel is very nice and comfortable, rooms are nicely decorated, quiet at the back overlooking the car park, probably noisier at the front overlooking the road and right in the centre of town. Staff are friendly and helpful, haven't eaten in the hotel so can't comment on the food. The spa is small but clean and free to residents and has steam room and sauna, small gym and weights room and small pool, very nice for just chilling. Book and pay for car parking in advance - car park is very small - or get there early.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments, look forward to welcoming you back to the St George Hotel in the near future.
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 December 2012

I cannot fault this hotel. We had our wedding here on 21st December and from start to finish it was amazing. The staff are so helpfull and friendly and Lynn the wedding organiser put herself out on numerous occasions to make our lives a lot easier. The food was very tasty and very generous portions. I would not hesitate to reccomend this to people for a wedding or a general trip. We had an amazing time and that was not only because we fell in love with the look of the hotel but the people made our day and night. They even let us have another room to allow for a childrens entertainment room.

Room Tip: Some rooms are quieter than others when a function are on so do ask.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
It's great to read your wonderful review of our hotel. I am so pleased that Lynn and the team played such a special part in making your day perfect. The room looked amazing with it's Christmas theme. I would like to wish you happiness for your future together. It would be great to see you for a family celebration in the future.