“Nice location - shame about the place!”

The St George Hotel
Ranked #21 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We have just returned from a long weekend at the St George and whilst the public rooms were clean & well presented the bedroom we were allocated was dingy, dirty & very, very tired. On one of the hottest days of the year it was like a sauna - and they had 'run out' of fans. The bed base was badly misaligned and resulted in sore banged toes as the valance sheet hid the promontory created. Another gem was to paint the door & surround of the tiny (inadequate) lift during the day - thus ensuring a hike up the many stairs - unless you wanted to be covered in the tasteful dove grey paint. The car park was very tight & access was not helped by having cars parked virtually up to the barrier. Our bathroom had: a huge crack across the wall at the back of the toilet - a big chip out of the sink pedestal - a toilet roll holder hanging loose on the wall - a filthy, dust-encrusted dado - a dirty shower control knob - a damaged bath panel, hanging off at one side & covered in black mould - a fly-blown roller blind and dusty, grubby corners to the room - not pretty! The irony is that we part-paid for this trip with vouchers from Shearings after visiting another of their unsatisfactory hotels on the Isle of Wight - so this time I'm not writing to the company because I don't want their compensatory vouchers and lame excuses for shoddy rooms - I'll simply vote with my feet & go elsewhere - somewhere that still actually puts their clients' comfort before the public areas showboating - the 'fur coat & no knickers' effect. I'm sure there are nice clean rooms at this hotel - ours just wasn't one of them! The St George is indeed well situated and the staff, pool facility & breakfast were all fine - but caveat emptor with this hotel/group!

Room Tip: Pay the hefty room upgrade rates if you must stay here
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 792Serendipity51
EdwinaStevens, Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Had you discussed the issues with your accommodation with my duty manager during your stay It would have given us chance to rectify things for you. However I find your comments unjust and believe that we we may not be matched to your expectations.
Kind Regards
Edwina

Write a ReviewReviews (1,120)

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Just returned from another lovely stay at the st George. My room 228 was excellent ,it had everything I needed and was spotless . The food was great and all staff were friendly and worked very hard to give you good service !! I've stayed here a few times and each time I return it gets better and better. I will be back :)

Room Tip: Room 228 is just lovely
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank laura k
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Thank you very much for your review, it’s always great to hear that people appreciate what we do. I also agree with your room tip, room 228 is one of my favourites, its one of the newly refurbished Superior Double rooms.
I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

Once again, a wonderful stay. Stayed here for 1 night on business. Check-in was busy but very quick, informative and efficient. Room was clean, big and well decorated. Food was well cooked and very palatable. Staff the usual cheeky selves but treat regulars like family which makes this the best hotel in harrogate for me. Will be back in august heather for more cheekyness.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank lazey69

Thank you for your kind review. It’s great that you consider us the best hotel in Harrogate; my staff are an absolute credit and always will try and make guests feel at home. We look forward to seeing you back again in August

Reviewed 18 July 2013

Just stayed for three nights for the Harrogate home and gift fair. Great location really lovely staff always willing to help. Bedroom ok but no air con and it was SO HOT ! bathroom average, shower awful (only a trickle) overall a good relaxing stay.

Room Tip: rooms on front (main road) very noisy
4  Thank joannedorking

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, the hotel is prime location for the Home & Gift Fair and I hope the show was a success for you. I’m sorry you had problems with the shower, if you stay with us again and encounter any problems please let me know as soon as possible so I can rectify them.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

Booked two seperate rooms for the gift show. Both were dreadful! Both rooms were dark,dingy and old-fashioned . I had to ask to change the single room as it was so small and oppressive. The room I was put into was little better. In their defense the rooms were clean.

Prices charged were over the top for what was offered.
Friendly reception staff.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs
4  Thank Orlaith M

I’m sorry to read that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us. I’m aware that my reception team did everything they could to assist you and make it as pleasant as possible. If you would like to book with us again for the Gift Show, please call the reservations department in the hotel and enquire about our premier and superior rooms, they do have an added supplement but have being fully refurbished and are extremely light and spacious.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

Good central location close to all local amenities. Friendly helpful staff, only had the buffet breakfast during my stay but was very good with lots of choice.
Stayed during the Harrogate literature festival so even got a look at Richard and Judy having a drink in the hotel.
I agree, bathrooms need up-dating but mine was spotlessly clean. I would reccommend this hotel.

Room Tip: My room was overlooking the garden - lovely view of the royal baths!
2  Thank sarah m

Thank you for your kind review, I agree the bedrooms overlooking the garden do have a lovely view. Hope to see you again.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 14 July 2013

The staff are unfriendly, verging on rude. The hotel needs major TLC. The room was truly horrendous, dated, grimy & very basic. They want best hotel rates & even have the cheek to ask a DISCOUNTED RATE of £2.00 for a bottle of water in your room. I can honestly say this was one of the worst hotel stays i have ever had. It's a crime this place could be fabulous.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank Seanna1
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

The company have invested over 2 million pounds in this property so far so I am surprised by the way you chose to describe it. We do sell water at a reduced price for hotel guests which proves very popular. The problems you encountered with the staff are extremely rare and I can only apologise, should you wish to discuss this further please contact me personally.

Regards