We have just returned from a long weekend at the St George and whilst the public rooms were clean & well presented the bedroom we were allocated was dingy, dirty & very, very tired. On one of the hottest days of the year it was like a sauna - and they had 'run out' of fans. The bed base was badly misaligned and resulted in sore banged toes as the valance sheet hid the promontory created. Another gem was to paint the door & surround of the tiny (inadequate) lift during the day - thus ensuring a hike up the many stairs - unless you wanted to be covered in the tasteful dove grey paint. The car park was very tight & access was not helped by having cars parked virtually up to the barrier. Our bathroom had: a huge crack across the wall at the back of the toilet - a big chip out of the sink pedestal - a toilet roll holder hanging loose on the wall - a filthy, dust-encrusted dado - a dirty shower control knob - a damaged bath panel, hanging off at one side & covered in black mould - a fly-blown roller blind and dusty, grubby corners to the room - not pretty! The irony is that we part-paid for this trip with vouchers from Shearings after visiting another of their unsatisfactory hotels on the Isle of Wight - so this time I'm not writing to the company because I don't want their compensatory vouchers and lame excuses for shoddy rooms - I'll simply vote with my feet & go elsewhere - somewhere that still actually puts their clients' comfort before the public areas showboating - the 'fur coat & no knickers' effect. I'm sure there are nice clean rooms at this hotel - ours just wasn't one of them! The St George is indeed well situated and the staff, pool facility & breakfast were all fine - but caveat emptor with this hotel/group!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- One of the most famous hotels in Harrogate, the St. George is a magnificent Edwardian property situated in the heart of this historic spa town. Its location, adjacent to the Harrogate International Centre’s Exhibition Halls and the Royal Hall, makes it ideal for both leisure and business travellers. The Royal Baths, with the newly refurbished Turkish baths and a range of elegant restaurants, are situated immediately opposite the hotel. As well as the delights of Harrogate, the hotel makes an ideal base for those wishing to visit Leeds, York or the beautiful Yorkshire Dales. Alternatively, visit the famous Betty’s Tea Rooms, and for those who like to shop, enjoy the exclusive small boutiques and various antique shops situated in the Montpellier quarter. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, Ebookers and Cancelon so you can book your The St George Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Saint George Harrogate
- Hotel Saint George
- St George Hotel Harrogate
- The St George Hotel Harrogate, Yorkshire