“Great hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
Yorkshire England
“Great hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

I recently stayed on a self drive package for 4 nights, with Shearings, at this hotel with my 90 year old mother.
We had single rooms although mine was a double which was great. The bedrooms were clean and comfortable and very warm, controlled by a thermostat on the wall.
The fixed menu was fine. The food was plain but good, and there was always something we liked.
The £25 each to spend in the hotel on food and drink was very much appreciated and we took full advantage!!
The staff in the reception, bar and dining room were very friendly and helpful and made our stay very pleasant, as were the room maids.
We paid extra a car parking space wich proved a great bonus.
The hotel is very central for all the attractions of Harrogate.
The only negative we could find was that the main rooms, bar, lounges and dining room were quite chilly. we were told the heating was as high as it could go in these rooms.
Overall a great holiday, thank you

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Thank you for such lovely comments and I am pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us. The cold snap did arrive suddenly but we have turned the thermostats up a couple of notches now so wont be taken by surprise again. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Harrogate.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

I am sent to Harrogate by my firm every year and have stayed at the Majestic, Cairn, Swan, Holiday Inn previously. So I can make a good comparison. Also this year I took my family for the first time so I am looking at the hotel from both a busiiness and family point of view. (NB My parents owned two hotels so I know what I'm talking about!)

In summary, there were several good points but also too many bad points to tempt me back. Some of the failings are due to the location of the hotel and not the hotel's fault out right. Being owned by Shearings, this hotel is busy with coach parties. Consequently I met many elderly Yorkshire guests during my stay, all of whom were lovely. The front-of-house staff too were all local people which is very refreshing and not often the case elsewhwere.

LOCATION: The location of the hotel is perfect on paper, very central, ideal for the town, restaurants, and the exhibition hall. The place looks grand from the outside, the garden is well maintained, which I appreciated, compared to the other hotels I have previously stayed at. Unfortunately though, once 9pm came around, the location of the hotel was far from perfect. Busy roads on two sides so some traffic noise. Concert hall opposite too. Night club nearby though was the biggest bane. Why any establishment should be allowed nightly to disturb other residents I do not understand. This is not the fault of the hotel, but I consider sleep quality a major part of my overall hotel experience. I had to wear earplugs. I would hate to stay here when there was a function on.

RECEPTION/ARRIVAL: Very poor experience on arriving. Entrance porch is really dark and dingy and at first I though I'd made a real big mistake. Inside, the lounge is modern, dark purple, but not what I would expect of a traditional Victorian hotel - more suited to the Holiday Inn. The receptionist was not helpful on more than one occassion, and I am not the first to comment on this. No-one offered to help me carry my bags even though I was staying for several days and had a family in tow. The car park is small, cramped and was a third full. All the empty places had cones with reserve signs placed on them. I asked the receptionist where to park and was told no-one had reserved a place for me. Maybe that was a mistake on my firm's part who made the booking - but I was unimpressed. The Majestic and Cairn by comparison have ample parking - and its free. I was told I would have to find on street parking which wasn't easy in the dark/rain/rushhour in a strange town. Eventually after much cursing and sweating, I unloaded our bags, aplogised to the gentleman who's parking place I had temporarily borrowed, worked out how to use the carpark barrier, found somewhere to park, got soaked walking back to the hotel and got to my room.

ROOMS: Once past the reception, the corridors of the hotel are positively grotty. The place is desperately in need of painting, new carpets and wall-paper. The floor-boards squeak like no building I have ever trodden in and there is not a single picture on the walls. When paying £100+ a night I expect a touch of luxury. The room was a little better, good sized but again not a single picture on the wall. Certaiinly not the standard I'd expected. The bathroom in particularly was tatty, as many other reviewers have commentated upon. The ceiling of the bedroom had three differnt patterns of wallpaper, some of which was falling off. I wouldn't accept this in my own home!

DINING ROOM/ BREAKFAST: This was one of the good points deserving of credit. The dining room I thought was lovely and full of character. I loved the windows, gardens, ceilings. The choice for breakfast was not as extensive as many hotels I have stayed in but ideal for me and I thought the quality of the cooking was excellent. Best sausages I've ever tasted in a hotel. Major probem here though; dinner is not served until 7.30 on weekdays, 8.30 at weekends. This may suit the coach parties, but not the business traveller who had to get off to work. Times need to be brough forward please.

DINNER: I didn't eat dinner at the dining room because I was put off by the reviews I had previously read and the prices on the menu. £17 for a main course! The prices just seemed prohibitively high when there were so many cheaper options across the street. I asked if room service was available. It wasn't.

BAR: I was disappointed in the bar. Again the decor was too trendy and not traditional enough for this period of hotel. The bar didn't have a single real ale on tap - this is Yorkshire for crying out loud! And it cost me £4 for a bottle of Old Speckled Hen which must be the most expensive beer I've ever bought in a hotel. I asked for a meal at the bar which seemed much more reasonably priced than the restaurant but was advised by the staff not to bother, as from 6-8 the reastaurant had priority and service from the kitchen was desperately slow. With a young child, I couldn't wait until 8 so we headed to the Winter Gardens across the road to eat. Which was great value: curry and a beer for £7

SPA: Mixed reviews here. I used the swimming pool twice every day with my daugter, the gym too. The set up is compact but a real bonus for a hotel of this size. The pool, whirlpool, steam room, sauna were all in good working order and I really enjoyed them all. The cost of spa treatments looked very reasonable. Downside: the spa didn't open till seven, which again doesn't suit the early-rising business traveller. The main let-down though was the decor. It desperately needs freshened up and wouldn't cost much. The locker rooms are tatty and the plastic floral arrangement throughout with hedgehogs and meercats simply look tired and tacky.

SUMMARY: noisy nights, insufficient parking, not enough luxury for your buck in terms of both decor or service, ideal for a budget coach party stay; but just not good enough overall for an independant guest paying full price and expecting more.

Room Tip: Eat at the winter gardens across the road. Make sure you reserve a parking spot. Bring earplugs...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank gavin w
Always disappointing for me to hear of guest dissatisfaction and I am so sorry we failed to meet your expectations, I’m sure you will agree that a lot of your comments are out of our control, such as: Noise from the traffic and nightclubs outside, Wetherspoons food prices compared to ours as a Hotel and the limited space for our car park. Other items in your feedback we could have easily resolved for you, had we been advised during your stay. Such as earlier access to the Leisure Club and earlier Breakfast requirements, I am sorry you chose not to let us know whilst here as we do regularly accommodate such requests and would most certainly have done so in your case too. Thank you however for taking the time to detail your stay with us and I hope we did not impact too much on your stay in Harrogate.
Herts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

Have just returned from a four night stay at the St. George. The hotel would benefit from a lick of paint here and there, but our room was a good size, clean and comfortable. The gym and swimming pool were excellent and the varied menu, very good, The staff were efficient, polite and could not have been more helpful.
All in all a nice hotel which for value for money would take some beating.
T.M Hertfordshire.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, it’s good to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us. We are constantly maintaining this beautiful building of ours and hope you will notice the improvements on your next visit. Coast and Country Hotels have some amazing offers and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Crewe, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

I travelled by coach to this hotel for a 5 day break. It's in an excellent location just a short walk from the shops and the wonderful Betty's Tea Room. I had a single room which overlooked the car park. It was a good size with an excellent sized bathroom. My only gripe is that I prefer a separate shower, not keen on climbing into a bath to shower. The room was clean and comfortable and a plus was being able to control the heating in the room by a thermostat. Some of the decoration in the corridors needs a little TLC but overall it is a lovely hotel with a beautiful dining room. The food was of a good quality and I could not fault it. I found the staff to be extremely helpful and friendly and am planning a return trip in the summer as I would love to see Harrogate in "full bloom".

Room Tip: Whilst the view from the rooms overlooking the car park isn't the best I think it's probably...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank IreneBo
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
We look forward to welcoming you back next year and if you call us direct once you have made your reservation, we will do our utmost to make sure you have a walk-in shower on your next visit. Harrogate is indeed beautiful when in ‘full bloom’ and I am sure you will not be disappointed when you return next Summer.
warwick
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

Check in was one hour late so we asked for a coffee while we waited (which came 40 mins later).
Staff member on reception didn't seem to know how to deal with a busy check in period, seemed to be the same time as the shift changed which caused issues.
Room 130 was dirty and very noisy throughout the night due to a nightclub across the road.
Didn't expect to be kept awake all night on a Sunday!
Leisure facilities were good however the small pool and jacuzzi filled up quickly and weren't very relaxing due to the noise.
Dinner was a set menu so we pre booked on arrival. Very disappointed by the dinner we received. Soup was extremely salty. Beef main course could have been boil in the bag! Dessert was better but waffle was soggy, probably microwaved. Although the Argentinian wine was lovely.
Service hit and miss, the staff were very attentive but after ordering the wine I was asked to go out to reception and pay by card (because I hasn't pre authorised on arrival). I asked if I would have to do this between every course as it was a bit strange that I couldn't just pay the bill at the end of the meal!
However breakfast was a lot better it seemed to be well practised and food was tasty.
Car parking was limited but we had arrived early to go shopping so we had no problem but when we arrived at 15:00 to check in it appeared that the car park was full and other guests had nowhere to put their cars. My advice; get there early, park up, go to Betty's for a tea and cake.
In hindsight I'd go for dinner in Harrogate instead as there are many better eateries (cheaper too).
I probably wouldn't stay here again as it was too noisy to sleep.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank david r
I do apologise for the problems you encountered during your recent stay and I will raise all your points with my team, as well as conveying your comments regarding the noise from outside to Harrogate council which will hopefully help in our efforts to have this more closely monitored. I do hope however that you can appreciate that noise from outside our hotel is something we cannot control. I would ask that you do come back and see us again, with a view to allowing us the opportunity of making your stay a more pleasant one.
Steve Stott
Deputy General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

Rotherham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

We were surprised at how nice the hotel was as the price is not bad at all.
Its very central, close to all the main shops and has a decent car park which is secure with a barrier. Betty's tea rooms are just a few mins walk away up the same road.
Reception were very accommodating, we mentioned my mums intolerance to gluten and they will even provide gluten free bread and cereal at breakfast.
Our room was absolutely huge, we had a twin room and each bed was a three quarter bed.
I have no gripe at all with the room, just a tiny moan about the hair dryer in the room, it was rubbish and kept cutting out so we decided to use the hairdryers in the spa area the next day after our swim.
The spa area and jacuzzi and steam room and sauna were lovely, very relaxing. The pool is tiny but as we had gone to chill out and have a little paddle it suited us fine. Only complaint I would make is that the changing rooms were tiny, we could have got changed in the communal area but we are a bit prudish :-)
The staff were all helpful, especially in the bar, we had a meal in the bar, it was brilliant value for money. The lad in the bar was so chatty and friendly, he made us so we come, so did the guy that brought our food.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and I can't wait to book another night here in the near future.

Room Tip: We had room 200, massive twin room overlooking car park.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Thank you for your feedback I am so pleased your stay with us was an enjoyable one and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Sedbergh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

Arrived at hotel had a good first day, bar staff good , room adequate , location great. Second night a wedding took place which by the sound we may as well been at it rung reception to ask for room change, basically got told can't do anything fully booked . No apology and quite rude on phone. Would have made sense to have all wedding guests on floor above function room... Bit of common sense please!!! Writing this in room as can't sleep.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Skinnerz241185
I am so sorry to hear your stay was marred by the wedding taking place we endeavour to ensure all our guests have a comfortable stay regardless of what event is taking place at the hotel. We were extremely busy on that particular weekend and as such were unable to move you to another part of the hotel. I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused and I do hope we did not impact too much on your visit to Harrogate.