Country Living St. George Hotel
Cairn Hotel(Harrogate)
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
1,150 results
All reviewsshearings hotelsshearings holidaycoast countryleisure clubself servicespa facilitiesroyal hallrestaurant staffplenty of hot waterlick of paintpublic roomsweekend breakkipperscentral locationmy mumlovely townbuffet style
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Stunning hotel the building has original features. We stayed B&B only but got an upgrade to a large room. The breakfast was very good quality & plenty of it (self serve) Lovely swimming pool. All the staff we spoke to were very friendly & helpful. The hotel is in a great area & only 5 minuets walk from the centre.
The only problem was the bathroom,it needs some updating & was a bit run down & looked grubby. The same has to be said for the showers in the pool area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Catherine-Sweeney
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at Country Living St. George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, we appreciate your comments and will pass these on to our maintenance team. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Public areas of this hotel are fine. Breakfast was good as is location. However, I do feel in this day and age that no hotel should let the rooms get so run down. It was very clean but squeaky floorboards, bathroom door wouldn't shut properly, shower was rubbish, no heating in bathroom apart from towel rail and the flooring belongs back in the 60s! As mentionned by other reviewers car park was tiny. We pre booked a space but this hadn't been allocated - we did get given one fortunately. We have disabled parking badge and its disgraceful that hotel won't allocate their spaces. None of the cars parked in the disabled parking had badges. Disappointing. As was the receptionist who told us we could find disabled parking in the town and walk back to the hotel!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gill S

I appreciate you taking the time to give me your feedback, it is unfortunate that we do indeed have limited car parking for our guests but do try to accommodate disabled guests whenever possible. We are in the process of replacing the older bathrooms and hopefully on your next visit to Harrogate you will come and stay and give us your valued opinion.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Excellent staff. Food ok. In Great position for shopping but not for sleeping too many night clubs nearby and rowdy at 3am in a morning. Thanks to Agnes on reception wh sorted our problem out quickly and to our satisfaction.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank wombat_666

Your comments are much appreciated and will go someway in our quest to have Harrogate Council investigate the clubs you mention, with a view to reducing noise for our guests and neighbouring Hotels guests too.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Went to The George Hotel for a relaxing weekend to celebrate my partners birthday. What a good choice. Our room overlooked the busy A61 and therefore we did not sleep well on the first night due to the noise. Next morning we told the receptionist, who was most helpful and after a couple of phone calls found us a pleasant room in a much quieter part of the hotel. The outside of the hotel is a bit dated but as soon as you step inside you find a spacious lounge area and reception. All of the staff are polite and courteous and go out of their way to give the best of service. We ate in the restaurant and were very happy with the choice and quality of food on the menu, that was served in very pleasant surrounding. The hotel also boasts a health spar, including a gym, small swimming pool, sauna and steam room, all of which we used during our stay. Our only disappointment was that as it was a weekend and we had not booked in advance, we were unable to have a massage or beauty treatments as they were fully booked.

Room Tip: If you want beauty treatment/s book them when making you reservation. Ask for a room at the back of the hotel away from the A61 as it is a very busy road both day and night.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Patricia T

I am so pleased to hear the team helped make your stay an enjoyable one and I will certainly pass on your comments in my next team meeting. We hope you will come and visit us again soon.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

We arrived with our little 3 month old boy for a quiet stay and his first little holiday!
The location is fantastic although dont be fooled by the picture - them grounds taht the hotel looks to be set in are actually very clever photoshop'ing as the majority of the gardens are nothing to do with hotel and there is cars, taxi's and streetlights that have magically disappered.
Anyway we arrived on Tuesday the 4th and I was told by the rather rude lady on reception that we hadnt reserved a parking space when we had, she then checked and basically said I was lying. The situation was resolved and we paid £5 for a space but the next day there was no spaces so me, my wife and baby had to park 10 mins away and walk in the rain and cold to the hotel ... Nice
I agree with all other comments on here the bar and reception deco is nice but doesnt fit in with the hotels age and history, the corridors are terrible wallpaper hanging off the wall and scuffs and paint missing.
The room was ok to be fair although I was in room 129 and there was a massive patch on the celing where it looked like someone had fallen through it once, the windows didnt close properly and the carpet had giant creases in it that you could trip over, bathroom did the job but again in desperate need of a good paint.
Food wise ok - we ate from the bar menu on first night but when I asked the barman if I could have a pizza at 9.30 (food stops at 10) it was met with a put out response and he had to check with the kitchen that they could manage it. Its a pizza for goodness sake. Breakfast was ok although they say it finishes at 9am but if you get there after 8.30am they have run out of half the hot food and rather that keep putting it out I was told once its gone its gone. I dont understand this if you advertise a meal finishes at 9am you should get the same selection at 7am of 8.59am as you would anywhere else.
I felt that the hotel always made out they were doing you a favour by serving you or when ever you ordered anything.
Despite the fact we had a baby and asked for a cot we was put in a room facing the local nightclub which was great as from 9pm the shouting, screaming, smashing bottles and cars screeching down the road kicked in right until about 3am on the thurs and the friday so it kept the baby up all night! I know the hotel cant be to blame for a nightclub but they could of thought that we shouyld of had a room away from this.
Swimming pool and gym was great - staff are nice in there.
I would expect to see this place on the hotel inspector one day and would not return - we did complain and was given 20% off our bill but the 'managers' couldnt even be bothered to come out of the back office after I complained to the poor girl on reception.
For the money you pay as I say I dont think it is good value

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank charlexEssex

I am sorry we did not meet your expectations, it is always disappointing for me to hear when a guest is dissatisfied. I am sure had you mentioned the items in your review before your departure day, that my team would have endeavoured to rectify them, especially the location of your room and the breakfast issues. I am pleased to hear however that we did compensate you and I was advised that you were indeed happy with the outcome following your comments to my Receptionist on your departure, as this was in fact the first we had been made aware of any problems. I am sure you will agree that unless we are advised that there is a problem, it is very difficult for us to do anything about it and I apologise once again for not meeting your expectations.