“Not what it looks like”

The St George Hotel
Ranked #21 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Stayed here recently and was very disappointed. Rooms were way below standard with cheap corded carpet and creaky floorboards. Bathroom was dirty with cracked tiles and repaired plasterwork all over.
Ate in the bar first night and had a steak. Chips were iterally thrown across the table at me and my Bourbon sauce the same, actually bouncing off my plate. Plates were eventually removed from the table at about 00.45am.This hotel entrance is on the main road and not as would seem from the website.
At best it is a 2 star, some of the staff were very good (receptionist) but it is dated and tired.
For the money, a Travelodge or Holiday Inn Express would be a lot better value. Best avoid.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank SRSTAUD
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and Trip Advisor certainly provides the platform. I can personally assure you that none of the bedrooms in the hotel have the cheap corded carpets that you mention. I’m sorry about the service you received in the bar – I will bring your comments up with my management team.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,129)

Reviewed 11 December 2013

Stayed for 3 nights from the 5th - 8th Dec. There are aspects of this hotel - it would be difficult to find fault with. The public areas have been decorated to the highest standard and you would struggle to find better in a 5 star boutique hotel. The level of cleanliness is exceptional - staff clearly take pride in their work. The decor is modern yet gave me a sense of tradition - very well done on this.

There was an issue with lack of hot water to my room on both the Friday and Sunday mornings. My complaint was dealt with and to my satisfaction - but I did rather feel like I was "making it up". That said - the manager I spoke to was apologetic and resolved the complaint after some discussion.

For me - there are 2 areas which left me rather unhappy
1. Car Parking - £5 per day on top of a total spend at the hotel of just over £300. I found this difficult to swallow on booking (yes I was aware - but had no choice) and I still find it difficult to swallow now. I really struggle to find a justification in adding this charge - it is after all not like my car was washed and valeted during my stay.
2. Food - we arrived later than planned on Thursday and was very pleased to find bar meals being served until 10pm. However, the food was less than adequate. Frozen chips and a piece of fish that looked like it had come straight out of a Birds Eye box. If staying again - I would avoid bar meals - this really lets you down in my opinion. Breakfast - superb. Yes it was busy, but staff served us quickly and efficiently and the choice of breakfast items was very good. It was cooked well.

Ps - my room was at the front and the double glazing struggled to keep the noise out from chucking out time at the various pubs / nightclubs.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road noise / pubs chucking out time!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Simon-Dwyed

Your 4 star review is appreciated, however I would just like to clarify that we give all guests the option of reserving parking at the time of booking – they can choose not to and the £5 per day guarantees you a space. I do agree with your room tip, rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed a couple of nights in the St George Hotel, the location is great, right in the centre of Harrogate with easy access to the shops and beautiful park, but as a result parking is limited so you need to book ahead, we were too late so had to park on a residential road, around 10 mins walk from the hotel. We received a warm welcome and all staff were very helpful, and really enjoyed the lovely pool, sauna etc. We only ate breakfast in the hotel, the food was good quality, though choice was a little limited and we did have to wait for certain things to be replenished. I was a little disappointed by our room, which was small, it felt very damp, there were stains on the ceiling and the mattress was rather lumpy, the bathroom wasn't much better with cracked tiles and mould/mildew, it all just felt rather tired and in desperate need of a makeover.

1  Thank LondonClaireB
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.
Breakfast is generally very busy on a weekend and as all food is cooked fresh, sometimes we may have a slight delay.
We are constantly maintaining and improving our bedrooms, therefore your comments will assist us with this.
If you visit us again, you might be interested to know you can upgrade your standard room booking to a Premier or Superior room for a small supplement.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

first time with shearings and could not have had a better first time experience the staff all very pleasant the food was excellent and a great choice for everyone. the breakfast was plentiful and hot , no waiting around staff very pleasant and attentive, the staff were all multitasking and it seemed to work why don't other hotels try this . would go again.

Room Tip: 112 excellent very spacious and great beds
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

I'm so pleased you enjoyed your first time on a Shearings Holiday at the St George Hotel and thanks for your 5 stars.
My team all work very hard and very well together and its comments like yours that keep us all focused on what we do.
I hope to welcome you back to the St George or another one of our Coast and Country Hotels.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

Good value for what I paid. Food was good and plenty of choice.Hotel was clean and tidy and staff wre most helpful.Iwould sugest that people who find that the hotel does not reach the standard they expect should book athe ritz and pay their prices.

2  Thank Michael B

Your 4 star review is very much appreciated and I couldn't agree more.
Please feel free to call my reservations team at the hotel who will always let you know our best available rate. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

We often travel with Shearings and have previously stayed in the Bay Hotels. We thought we would upgrade to Coast and Country, better quality room, better food etc. Wrong on all counts. On entering the hotel we were impressed, that is until we were told we could not have our room til 3pm, a wait of nearly 3hrs! We had set off at 6:30 and spent hours at the interchange, to say we were ready to relax would be an understatement. Then to have to register our credit card in order to get the £25 each in-house spend was ridiculous! Why couldn't there be a voucher system? We didn't get a receipt when we spent anything and if we hadn't kept our own record it would have been easy to overspend. As it was, the bottled beers were about £4 each and the cheapest wine was £15:75 a bottle.
Our room was warm but definitely tired and in need of refurbishment, no way resembling the standard rooms on the website and the bathroom was shabby and had the fire exit in it. Was the bathroom once a corridor?
Breakfast was self service and quite good but dinner was horrible. The chef's specialities were to be avoided at all costs. Steak and kidney pudding with raw ( I complained) suet. The gravy that accompanied the pork tasted of sour apple, was expecting it to be more subtle, roast potatoes that were raw inside. I thought the puddings were all ready made and the custard out of a packet!
The wine waiter ( ha ha) took our order at the beginning of one meal and brought it just when we were about to start our pud! The couple at the next table asked why water was not on the table and were told that they were not allowed to put it out but had to sell the bottles instead! You had to specifically ask for a glass of water. The waitress who served us was run off her feet while at one sitting I counted at least 3 assistant managers just showing people to tables.
The standard of Coast and Country was not what I expected and not, in my opinion, as good as Bay holidays.

2  Thank Linda L

I'm sorry you weren't satisfied with your recent holiday.
My team make every effort to let as many guests in as early as possible prior to check-in at 3pm, its certainly not our intention to leave guests waiting when you have had a long day of travel.
I receive hundreds of positive comments a week regarding our food at the hotel, however I am sorry that it didn't suit your taste, thank you though for giving us the opportunity to makes things right during your stay.
The standards between Bay Hotels and Coast and Country Hotels are very different, as an Area Manager of a group of Bay Hotels I do hope that I'll be able to welcome you again to one of our Bay Hotels in the future.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

We were back at the St George for our annual stay during the Knitting and Stitching show. Hotel is very handy for the exhibition hall, literally just across the road. We went on an excellent package with Shearings Coast and Country for five days, very reasonable which included dinner and vouchers to spend inhouse. We had a lovely big room, with a double bed and a single bed which was in a sort of alcove which gave privacy to the other person. Usual amenities, nice and clean and very comfortable beds. Before we have always stayed at front of the hotel which gives a nice view of the road but can be very noisy. This time we had a view of the fire exit and the car park but it was very quiet. Evening meals were plentiful and offered a reasonable choice, and you could upgrade to a la carte if you so wished for any course. Dinner is waiter service and breakfast is buffet. The dining room staff are so attentive and make you feel very welcome but don't expect fast food service, dining here is a leisurely experience to be enjoyed.The dining room is a delight of Edwardian splendour as is much of the hotel. It may be a little tired here and there but it is a very old hotel and there were obvious signs of tasteful refurbishment in many areas since our last visit. The foyer is great for relaxing, lots of comfy armchairs or you can spend the evening in the bar but be prepared to pay hotel prices for your drinks. On the other hand the hotel offers a good range of bar lunches at quite reasonable prices. the hotel health suite is free for guests to use, as well as a small gym there is a small swimming pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi. Perhaps best of all, is the lovely relaxed atmosphere, both the building and the staff make you feel so comfortable. the St George is also a superb base for exploring Harrogate as it is bang in the centre of the town. Space in the small car park has to be booked in advance. This is a recent change of policy which many guests clearly haven't come to terms with given the number of disgruntled and disappointed people trying to check in when we arrived. Fortunately, having had the same experience the year before, we'd paid to book our space in advance. It seems expensive at £5 a day but more and more hotels are now charging for car parking and at least you have that space reserved for the duration of your trip. We enjoyed our stay very much and will be back again. People may find things to criticise but for the price you pay the St George is amazing value and has found ways to compete in the current market while maintaining the overall service and atmosphere of the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms fronting onto Ripon Road can be very noisy at night.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Excellent honest and frank review, thanks for taking the time to write.
I hope many of our future guests read this, I agree with your room tips too.
Coast and Country Hotels have some fantastic holidays available and I look forward to welcoming you back again, please feel free to mention your room requests at the time of booking.