“TERRIBLE FOOD”

Ranked #22 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Leeds, United Kingdom
“TERRIBLE FOOD”
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We visited St George for a meal as a party of nine to celebrate my sons 18th birthday
We all agreed the food was very average and it was a shame to see how far standards have declined since holding our wedding reception there in 1989.
The hotel reception rooms are very tired
The menu was very limited and the food was canteen quality at best

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Hartleyfamily
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Our catering team will be very sorry to hear of the comments regarding our food. I can only apologise if you found it to be of an average standard as our customer comment card scores are good. We offer a 3 course meal with 3 starters, 5 main courses and 3 desserts with tea or coffee for only £14.95 which I think you would agree is excellent value. We also offer a full Al La Carte menu which is competitively priced. I wonder if you bought this matter to our attention on the day so we could offer you a replacement or alternative?.
I will pass your comments on to our team and in the meantime, should you wish to visit us again and give us chance to change your opinion please contact my Deputy Manager, Heather Spooner who will be pleased to make these arrangements for you.

Edwina

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

The rooms very basic for the price charged. The place is ready for an overall. Very old fashioned. Housekeeping knocked on the door at 9am on sunday morning, we were still in bed at that point. I complained but was told house keeping starts at 9am and a comment from the house keeper I speak no english!!! The only positive comment I can make is that breakfast was good, but other than that I would say I would not stay here again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank NSBruce
We pride ourselves on remaining competitive with other Harrogate hotels and this is reflected in our rates. I am sorry the housekeeper knocked on your door so early this can be easily prevented by placing your do not disturb sign on the door handle. Some rooms have yet to be refurbished but most have been upgraded to a great quality as have all of the public areas. If you choose to book again I would be happy to ensure you given a fully refurbished room. Breakfast is indeed good as the buffet style ensures there is something for everyone.

Edwina

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Visited the hotel this month on one of the many deals Shearing's are running at the moment. Booked in to be told I also had £25 in house credit which was a welcome surprise.
Room warm, clean and comfortable. Service first class. Good choice of food and tasty. Couldn't ask for much more! Hotel runs like a well oiled machine.

Room Tip: Had a quiet room at the back of the hotel - slept like a baby!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
8 Thank jwood2014
Thank you jwood2014 for your great review.
It is always nice to receive good feedback from our guests and I will pass on your comments to the team who I know will be pleased to hear them. The in house credit is a bonus and it is good to hear that you made full use of it.
We look forward to welcoming you back here at The St George in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We stayed here fri -monday on a half board basis. Upon arrival check in was smooth and efficient. We were asked which room we would like one at the front or one at the back. We choose a room at the front. You could hear some noise from the traffic but this didn't disturb our sleep but maybe a problem if you are a light sleeper.
The food in the hotel was excellent. Breakfast contained all what you would expect. There was an a la carte menu as well as the set menu which changed on every evening. The food was high standard with dishes made from scratch all vegetable accompaniments were fresh. The restaurant staff and bar staff were efficient and friendly.
The hotel also boasts a small gym pool sauna steam room and jacuzzi which were free to use if you were a guest at the hotel. Perfect for relaxing after a day out.
The rooms are not luxury rooms but are clean and comfortable and contain everything you need. The tea and coffee were repinshed every day and rooms were cleaned thoroughly every day. Only thing I would say is that there is some noise when next door were running water again this didn't bother us but may bother some.
The lounge areas are clean and modern.
We had a lovely few days and will def return.

• Stayed January 2014
4 Thank gfcjules
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, 18 January 2014
It is always great to hear that all the efforts and hardwork of the team are appreciated and they will all be pleased to hear this. The chef will also be pleased to hear your comments regarding food we do try to provide a varied menu to suit all tastes. The leisure facilities are an added bonus and as you state free for guests, it is perfect to relax in after a day out. Thank you again for your lovely review we look forward to welcoming you back here at The St George in the future.

Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I have recently stayed at The St George Hotel in Harrogate for the New Year and .
The initial reaction - where are the gardens!
Answer photograph taken from a spurious angle.
Booking in late! - Dining availability only 6 or 8
Not as described in the brochure
NO HOT WATER DURING OUR STAY (that would take up a page on its own)
Prime examples pealing paint mirror light grimy grouting between tiles in the bathroom
High prices for B& B service and hoteliers’ wonder why we prefer to take our holidays on the continent would not consider going back even if it was free

Room Tip: Try a diferent hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank philip p
I am sorry to hear that you had problems with the hot water during your stay and I can only apologise for this. We do try to rectify any problems when reported to reception however on this occasion it was not possible, however after investigation it was only the shower, you had hot water in the sink and bath. I do hope this will not deter you from booking with us again giving us the chance to change your point of view.

Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2014

My wife and I stayed here over the Christmas period, and what an excellent time we had! The food was delicious and although I have diabetes the staff worked hard to cater for me (the manageress even offered additional items to the menu which was suitable for my diet.)

There was a variety of entertainment on throughout the week which were all good, especially the singer on the Monday, and the manageress organised various games and bingo to keep us all occupied. All the people who I spoke to said they were having an excellent time.

We have re-booked for next year and as we did this before we left I recieved a good discount. We will also be looking at going in the summer as I am told the flowers in Harrogate are beautiful at this time.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Alan S
We do try to offer a varied menu and cater for all dietary requirements thank you for appreciating this. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your Christmas break with us. All the team will be very pleased to hear that all their hard work and efforts are appreciated.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Just returned from a post New Year family break at this hotel and I can honestly say what an enjoyable stay we had. Our family break entailed 18 family members meeting up from all corners of the UK with a varying age range from 8 - 69 so we had to make sure we had the right hotel to cater for everyone's needs. Pleasantly surprised at our good sized family room that slept 4 at the front of the hotel, bunk beds for the kids in an alcove off the room plus a nice big bathroom.

Very impressed at the reception / lounge areas, they were beautifully decorated and comfortable, and to the absolute delight of the kids (and several adults if honest!) was the addition of a games room including pool table and a good selection of board/card games.

Used the leisure club several times. The pool is on the small side but perfectly adequate (and kept at a generous warm temperature) and the Jacuzzi, steam, sauna and gym are also available for guests.

Ate in the restaurant both nights as part of our package. Plenty of options on the menu and enjoyed everything I ordered. Breakfast equally good. Lots of choices of fruit juices, cereal and the English breakfast was delicious. Restaurant staff are a young bunch but they were all friendly and helpful.

Its worth mentioning that there is a charge of £5 a night to guarantee a car parking space at the hotel so take this into consideration when booking. Its not a massive car park and we personally would rather pay the fiver and have our car at the hotel (but I cant help but think its a bit of a moneymaking scheme!) The other option is using public car parks and/or street parking nearby.

I would definitely recommend this hotel as a one to try if staying in Harrogate due to its convenient location and good standard of facilities. Yes it is used by the coach tour companies and probably can get quite busy but there is more than enough space for everyone and I would have no hesitation in staying here again.

Room Tip: Room 207 was a generous size family room with 1 double and bunk beds, however traffic noise was noti...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Jlkga
The team here at The St George will be very pleased to read your review and see that all of their hard work and efforts are appreciated. The leisure club is an added bonus and I am pleased to hear that you made full use of the facilities. We do try to cater for all with a varied menu available it is great to hear that you enjoyed everything you ordered. The guaranteed parking that we have available I feel is also a added bonus. Thank you again for your lovely review and we all look forward to welcoming you back here at The St George in the future.