“A brief stop over for some relaxation.”

The St George Hotel
Ranked #21 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A brief stop over for some relaxation.”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I decided to book a night in Harrogate because I was driving London-Edinburgh and needed a half way point to stop. I chose the St George Hotel because it had spa facilities and good ratings, I was intending to spend the my time relaxing in the spa.
Parking wasn't available when I booked, but I arrived on a Sunday, so I could park anywhere anyway. First impressions were good, lovely foyer and seating areas, friendly staff.
I booked into a single room, the room looked out onto the Royal Hall. It was clean, and a good size, the heating was easy to control and the bed was really comfortable. Some aspects of the bathroom were very worn, some exposed plumbing, mismatched suite and badly finished, I've never seen so many shades of white in one room! It could do with being refreshed.

The spa was good, sauna, steam room, pool and jacuzzi, it's not luxurious but good enough to enjoy.

I had dinner in the bar, not the restaurant, that night and that was the only thing that was disappointing. The food was expensive and below par, it had definitely just come out of a freezer and blasted in a microwave.

I had paid the £5 for breakfast and it was definitely worth it. Good selection of food in a nice environment.

I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Royal Hall can be noisy at night.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank jenna W
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
I’m pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and the facilities in the hotel. As we have mentioned on other replies we are continuing with our improvement programme and we will shortly be replacing several bathroom suites completely.
Its good to read that you enjoyed the breakfast, however I’m sorry that you felt that way about the bar food, I would have being interested to hear your comments at the time and have being able to rectify them for you.
I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We stayed Monday to Frida, the hotel is spotless all the staff we're excellent the food of a high quality, we didn't upgrade our food as the menu had a good selection all waiting staff were very attentive. Our room had a squeaky floor but you can expect it in an older hotel. We had no hot water one evening but we were assured that it would be fixed as soon as poss, at dinner we were offered a complementary glass of wine which I found a nice gesture and the hot water was ok in the morning. The hotel in the centre of Harrogate. The spa was a great bonus. Would definitely recommend. Mr Mrs Stancombe

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you, Mr & Mrs Stancombe, for taking the time to share your thoughts. We did indeed have a problem with the hot water one evening and again apologise, we hope it didn’t cause too much inconvenience. Shearings Holidays have some fantastic holidays & offers and I hope you find the time to visit again soon.
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

This hotel well worth a visit in the centre of harogate comfortable and clean staff helpful and polite. Breakfast really good evening meals slightly less so but above average. Pool and sauna wonderful. Very relaxing reasonably priced rooms clean bright and airy.

Room Tip: No Evening entertainment so take some of your own however town so close not a problem
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
It’s lovely to read your review and that you enjoyed your recent break. I hope to be able to welcome you back again and will pass your kind comments on to my team.
Staffordshire
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

Just on the way back home after spending the night at this hotel! Thought we were in for a treat; a lovely relaxing break, but I was very wrong! The pool is tiny, but ok. There were a couple of children playing in the pool which didn't make it a very relaxing experience with it being so small. I think they were the children of someone who worked there because their mum who was in the pool with them for some of the time was behind the counter when we left. The steam room and sauna were good. A special mention has to go to the two young men who work behind the bar because they were both lovely and a credit to the hotel.
Bad bits now - we were awake ALL night because of the relentless noise from a nearby night club. It actually sounds as though it's in the hotel. When we spoke to the receptionist this morning she advised us to complain to the council!! She said that room 220 didn't usually get noise pollution, but when we looked from the outside, it is actually very close to the offending nightclub! So we felt fobbed off and not at all listened to. We're both absolutely shattered! The general state of the hotel is tired to say the least! In the bar, there are a few threadbare sofas and chairs amongst really tidy ones!
Wish we'd have spent a little more and stayed at a much nicer place.

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank Sukimac
In the world of trip advisor it’s very clear we can’t please everyone, however I can assure you that we always listen to our guests comments and opinions and act on where possible. I’m sorry that you felt you didn’t have the relaxing break that you had intended. I would like to point out that our Leisure Club is family friendly and by no means for adults only. We are also a town centre hotel and do have several bars within close proximity, as my reception team advised, the late night noise pollution is something we are working on with the local council but for now I personally apologise to you.

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

Windermere, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We stayed here for two nights with my in-laws. The first night was truly awful. Terrible food in the restaurant and the sort of service that wouldn't be out of place in a sitcom. My wife complained while we were there and the second night, both food and service were really good (we had a different waiter!). The noise from outside goes on all night - there are night clubs nearby and people seemed to be leaving them all the time until around 5 am. The windows in the rooms are sash windows and don't really stop any noise. Beware the pictures showing the nice gardens - these are public gardens and are separated from the hotel by a road.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south are quieter - avoid the rooms on the east.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Tom L
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
I am pleased to hear that the food and service in the restaurant improved on your second night and I am sorry to hear that you felt the need to complain in the first place. We are currently discussing the noise issues with the local council however upon request we can allocate quiet bedrooms.

Newton Stewart, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014

After just having spent 4 lovely days in a hotel in north wales, much cheaper than this one, we were very disappointed with this hotel. There was barely enough hot water the first night for a bath, next morning there was no hot water at all, so no shower, on arriving back at the hotel that night still no hot water in our room even though it was working in all the others. My husband insisted on another room, but was told they were full up, in the end we did get one, albeit very small, but lots of hot water. the staff were unhelpful, and we were made to feel as though we were complaining about nothing. bathroom in first room very shabby and the shower would hardly turn anyway as it was so old.
Wont be rushing back

Room Tip: avoid room 217
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank carol p
I am concerned to read your review regarding the staff being unhelpful they usually do all they can to try and help our guests. I believe on the Saturday of your stay you moved to another room due to the problem with the shower however I believe there was hot water in the bath. The shower had been checked at different times throughout the day after initially being reported by you and the water temperature was found to be hot. The room you were moved to is as you say a bit small however as explained this was the only double room we had available.

Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Great Shearings holiday! I had a fantastic weekend break, the hotel was very imposing and in a great position in the middle of town. The bedroom was very comfortable and considering the size of some single rooms I've been in was a good size. The reception staff were efficient & helpful but the restaurant staff could have been a bit more friendly! The food was good and as it was "help yourself" you didn't get a great big plateful which ended up being wasted. The Spa was the cherry on the cake as far as I was concerned - very nice pool & steam room. There is a sauna but it wasn't working when I was there. There was no entertainment but I understand there usually is. Trip to York was good, well worth a visit. All in all it was a very enjoyable value for money break.

Room Tip: As far as I saw all the rooms were good.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Pat D
I am pleased to read that all in all you enjoyed your break here with us and that you felt it was value for money. I am surprised to read your comments regarding the restaurant staff not being friendly we usually receive excellent comments regarding the friendliness and helpfulness of all our staff. The chef will be pleased to read your comments regarding the food. The leisure facilities as you say are the cherry on the cake and I am pleased to hear that you made full use of them. Unfortunately due to essential maintenance I am sorry that the sauna was out of use for part of your stay.