“Ee by gum it were hot”

The St George Hotel
Ranked #23 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Beautiful period property that has been carefully maintained to keep the elegance of a more refined age. Reception staff friendly and efficient and the room was large, clean and well furnished. We had booked a double room but there were also two bunk beds tucked away in an alcove. Dinner was disappointing as the food options were quite restricted but a word with the restaurant manager meant a better selection was made available the next night. Unusually for England the day we had arrived had been warm and sunny so, as there was no air conditioning, we tried to open the windows to let in some air and cool down the room. The window fasteners were set so high that they would only open and inch or two so not much breeze came in so as a result we had to sleep with the windows open and the road noise (main road) was quite disturbing. We left the curtains closed the next day so that we could close the windows to sleep at night. The hotel was busy while we were there so staff were rushed which meant that there was little or no interaction at mealtimes and we had to request refills of butter etc and drinks with breakfast. Clean and comfortable with easy access to all the attractions of Harrogate. Good value.

Room Tip: Away from the front of the hotel if you can't close the windows!
1  Thank LazyB64
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

The weather of late has been exceptionally good and so the hotel has been quite hot. You’re correct in saying that we don't have air conditioning but fans can be requested from the reception.

It is a legal requirement to fit window restrictors and I can only sympathise with you and apologise for any inconvenience cause due to the heat. I am happy that on the whole, you were satisfied with your stay and hope you return in the future.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I have stayed at The George at least six times via Mr Shearing. It is second to none. The food wonderful, the staff courteous, friendly and helpful. My room very comfortable. Thank you to all the staff. I will be back!

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the first floor (to save using the lift) and ask for a room at the back of the...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank joyce m
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you for posting such a lovely review! I am so happy you were satisfied with all aspects of your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Booked a Sunday lunch, no one in restaurant, no one to welcome us in restaurant and once we found some staff, lack of attention continued. We were looking forward to a pleasant experience, but beef was tough, lamb was OK. Complained to duty Manager who did listen but made no offers to recognise our disappointment or remedy matters. We got impression the Hotel was ''tired,'' not interested in attracting restaurant customers and was relieved to see us go so they could get back to relaxing, chatting, or whatever they are free to do when not having to care for customers. A real pity for such a well located hotel with a charming appearance.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank rreginwlk

I am so sorry that you found the service in the restaurant less than adequate on your recent visit. I will be looking into the issues you encountered with a view to ensuring the service offered meets customer expectations. Thank you for the post.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Just got back from a one night stay in this hotel. All the public areas were very comfortable and clean. Our room was also very clean although noisy as we were on the front. The bathroom was desperately in need of refurbishing. The sink had chips round it and the shelf on the wall was rusty. A big plus would have been for it to have air con then we could have kept the window closed cutting out the noise.

2  Thank Lynda B
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

We are currently undergoing a bathroom refurbishment programme and although some are indeed old, they are spotlessly clean. The fact that your sink was chipped is unacceptable and this has been replaced immediately after seeing your comments. Thank you.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I have just returned from yet another brilliant week in this lovely hotel. I travelled with Shearings Grand Tourer and the transport and excursions were excellent. The reception staff are extremely helpful and friendly and greet you with a smile! The food in the restaurant was very good, a buffet style breakfast, and waiter/waitress service for evening meals with plenty of choices. The staff were efficient and again very friendly. I had a single room with a newly refurbished bathroom which had a shower cubicle rather than a bath (wonderful for me as I am nervous climbing out of a bath). My room, as well as all the public areas, were spotlessly clean. I am looking forward to my next visit at my favourite Shearings Hotel.

Room Tip: I think the rooms on the front of the hotel could be noisy from the traffic. My room overlooked the...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank IreneBo

Thank you so much for the review. I am so pleased that you shared your thoughts with other Trip Advisor users and would like to thank you for the kind comments you placed regarding our staff. We would be pleased to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Having read a previous damning review of the hotel, I was dubious. My experience of the hotel was totally opposite to the previous contributor We found our room clean and comfortable. The restaurant service was top class and the meals excellent. The hotel had a past ambiance and history about it. I can recommend and don't think that you will be disappointed. We went there on a Shearing's Grand Tourer Holiday..

Room Tip: We were overlooking the Kitchen and Dining Room roof and there was slight noise from the extractor f...
1  Thank Brymar
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us & thank you so much for your 5 star review.
I have passed on your comments to the staff who are delighted with your comments.
We look forward to welcoming you back on another fantastic Shearings Holiday.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We were booked into this hotel through a group tour. It was one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. I was in a single room, with a single bed and a bathroom which had peeling paint, a hot water system that scalded me everytime I used it. Outside the rooms, the carpet on the corridor was all 'wrinkled' with minimum lighting making it dangerous to walk on. There was only a bar and a dining room. Food served in the dining room was embarrassing bad. Fruit juices were watered down, toasts were cold, and for dinner, any meat I had was just a tiny, winny, slip of fatty ham or lamb!
The gardens outside were beautiful an beautifully kept. Need the same attention and investment with the inside.

Room Tip: I am sure there are better hotels in Harrogate. If you tour book you in there, you'd better boo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Cynthia L

There is indeed a bar, a dining room but also a fully equipped leisure club (which is an added extra in Harrogate). I have reviewed the comment cards during this break and have had no other reports regarding the poor food quality. I can assure you that we don't water down any of our products and also the toasters are located in the dining room for guests to help themselves. I therefore do not understand your comments regarding cold toast.
I sincerely apologise for any inconvenienced caused and wish you luck on your future travels.