“Home from Home”

The St George Hotel
Ranked #23 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Due to business demands I stay at this hotel on a regular basis. The staff are excellent and the reason I retun. I have stayed in various 3 star hotels up and down the country but this one is my favourite. They know my requests off by heart and always ensure I get a quiet room with a 4ft bed. The breakfast buffet is plentiful and regularly topped up so I don't understand why people complain. I certainly would reccommend the hotel.

Room Tip: Call ahead with any requirements. The staff will be only to happy to oblige.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Helen T
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Thank you for the review. I am so pleased that my staff’s efforts have been recognised and you chose to share your comments with other trip advisor users.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

I think some on these review are unjust! I have just returned from the St George Hotel and would certainly not say it was dirty. The decor is tired in places such as the corridoors but who spends thier time there? The management have obviously spent the money on the public areas and bedrooms which is sensible. I paid an excellent price and considering its a 3 star hotel I thought the food, service and staff were excellent. I will definately return. Thank you!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tracey H

Thank you for the review. I am pleased that you find us good value for money as we pride ourselves on remaining competitive within the current market. We would be pleased to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Tired decor, windows filthy, shower head broken, bed uncomfortable, heating on full throughout the hotel (Mid May - fit for lizards), no thermostat in the bedroom could not regulate heat, communal areas dirty, the worlds smallest lift, iron unserviceable, staff rude and ignorant, staff that did not know the room (stated there was a thermostat in the bedroom and there clearly was not), excessive noise from outside, breakfast ingredients are cheap and nasty.

In a nutshell, the hotel appears to cater for elderly coach parties. With its location and potential it could do so much better.

We booked for 4 nights for a convention and left a day early because it was a miserable chore staying in a such a uncomfortable hotel. We had a large group booking and are due to return to Harrogate in October, needless to say we have taken our booking elsewhere.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank David K

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay but find many of your comments offensive and untrue.
The hotel caters for all types of guests be it business or leisure requirements.
Good luck with your future travels.

Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

I wasn't staying here but met a friend for drinks. We waited an unacceptable time to be served for drinks at the bar, having to go to reception to ask for service after 10 mins or so. All staff I encountered were fairly rude or just generally didn't seem to know anything. I heard lots of complaints about food and service from other hotel residents while I was there.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review and we are sorry you feel the service was not up to standard on the day you visited the bar. I will look into what may have gone wrong as this is not our normal practice. However I do feel the comments regarding hearing lots of hotel residents complaining about food and service very hard to accept as the comment cards which were completed during this time indicated otherwise.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed just the one night on a Sunday and to be honest had no problems at all. The room, with double bed and single was clean although the bathroom needed a re-furb. But it was functional with plenty of hot water and clean towels. Comments re: the price of drink make me laugh. Hotel prices are always high! And why would you want to eat in the hotel? There are some super restaurants 5 minutes walk away! There are some areas that could be improved but unless you stay in more expensive places then this will always be the case. Breakfast cost £5 each in addition to the £59 for the room. Not bad value for right in the centre of town. If you are staying then book a car park space in advance. It will cost £5

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sandgrownun2013

Thank you for your review after your short stay with us in Harrogate and for pointing out that everything said is not true. Overall it seems you were happy with your break and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I booked this hotel on boking.com, as it was reasonably priced versus other close by, and included a breakfast. Then I read the hotel reviews on here and was a little bit worried by what I had booked and if it was going to be good or not.

Firstly the parking. The car park is down a little side road next to the hotel with a barrier, and it is not too big. If you require a car park space, you should really reserve in advance as there was not enough room for the size of the hotel. However, when we checked in the person on reception gave us a parking disc so we could park on the next street along for 3 hours the next day (starting at 8am) which was a bonus as I thought I would have to pay for the parking.

The reception area looks very nice, and you can tell that it has been recently updated, the same as the bar area also. However, once you get in the lift to go upstairs you can sense that it is not all as updated as the reception area. The upstairs hallways look like they could do with some updating, from the carpet to the walls. What is noticeable though is the wonky walls, a result of the building being old, which could lead to people thinking it looks worse than it actually is.
The rooms are nice enough, bed was comfy and comes with a TV, kettle, iron, etc. The bathroom was a bit shabby though, looked as if it was an old suite and could do with some updating.

Reading on here, a few people complain about the noise, something which we had no problem with at all. We were right on the front of the building also, and I found it very peaceful and quiet throughout our stay.

The location of the hotel is fantastic. Right in the town centre, and a 2 minute walk from wherever you may want to go. Great for when it is cold after coming out of a bar / club and quickly getting back to the hotel without having to pay for a taxi.

Breakfast, myself and my girlfriend had different opinions on it. It was served in a large room, and it was a buffet style, with hot food at the far side, and cereals and juice in the centre. My girlfriend really enjoyed her breakfast, however I thought a few of the basics weren’t too good. The sausages were overcooked, and not the best quality, as were the eggs, and the hash browns tasted a bit cheap and basic.
The coffee and tea you had to request to your table, this wasn’t available for you to get up and help yourself to.

At the end of the day, this is a 3* hotel, not a 5* so people shouldn’t be expecting The Ritz. It was good enough for what we wanted and paid for, however if I were coming back to Harrogate I would probably stay somewhere else next time to see what the other hotels have to offer.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Craig B

Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay with us. I am happy to see that your comments are well balanced and that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay, we pride ourselves in offering good service and value for money breaks. We look forward to welcoming you back to the St George in the future.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

This hotel is well located close the the centre of Harrogate. Good value for money especially if using one of their packages. New double glazed windows have been installed and some other evidence of refurbishment especially in communal areas but clearly this is work in progress. Staff helpful and friendly and I was able to store luggage on first and last days of my stay. Good single room availability.

Room Tip: supplements are charged for rooms with a view or superior rooms
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank JEFFREY G

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us we pride ourselves on offering good value for money breaks. You are correct that the refurbishment programme is still ongoing however all public areas have been refurbished to a high standard.

We hope to see you again soon.