“Run down! Run out!”

Ranked #22 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
UK
“Run down! Run out!”
Reviewed 21 February 2010

From driving into the tiny carpark with about ten spaces for guests we imediately heard alarm bells the hotel looks nothing like its picture. It is not surrounded by gardens it is on a main road opposite a night club. Im sure they have photoshopped the picture. We requested to see our room as they wanted to be paid up front. We stayed in the executive room and although clean was tatty the bed was just plain scary the only plus was a jacuzzi bath that needed a bit of a scrub first. We stayed considering it was for one night and the location was good however, i would not of been able to stay any longer than this. The room was freezing and although the thermastat was on the wall it did not work a common theme with the hotel. The hotel layout and management is quite strange for instance if you have been wondering why there is no tea and coffee faclilities in your room this is because they are hidden in a draw under the tv :-). The food was disgusting even after opting for a £7.50 supplement charge for the steak which was not cooked correctly and was served with 2 greasy mushrooms and a tomatoe plonked on the plate. Breakfast was a heart attack served on a plate and I felt sick all day after the amount of grease and fat on all the food the plate was swimming. The leisure faclilities were okay although rather grimy the changing rooms smelled the steam room also had an unpleasant smell and the leisure pool area just appeared and felt unclean. The hotel is very run down and was bearable (just) for one night!!!! on the plus most of the staff were very accomodating to us and polite. The night porter was quite rude when we asked if we could have our key back on our way back in but other than that the staff were nice. Also be aware that the bedroom doors are hard to open I had to get my partner to as I was not strong enough :-) I wouldnt stay here again personally I would go up the road to one of the nicer hotels. Did get wifi access though from our room and connection was very good.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
lancashire
Reviewed 15 February 2010

warm comfortable good value for money hotel.Good leisure facilities and extremely handy for town centre.

• Stayed February 2010
Birmingham
Reviewed 3 February 2010

To be fair to the The George, once upon a time it would have been a luxury hotel offering the very best amenities, however, that time was circa 1865 and it has not seen a paint brush or hoover since

The common theme running throughout the hotel is one a tired and dilapidated nature. The paintwork is terrible with cracks, exposing wood which leaves both bits of wood and paint on the floor.

The carpets are straight out of the 1950s and appear to be held together with gaffer tape. In my short time in the hotel room I wondered if the entire hotel was held together by one big ball of tape ... pull it and the hotel would implode like a fleur de lys clad neutron star.

There was also an overwhelming smell of what my colleague told me was shake and vac spread over the room. This was used so liberally that my senses thought I was under chemical attack to which my only response was to run.... rather than stay in this hellish nightmare of an excuse for a hotel I chose to drive the two hours back to the midlands.

I can only liken this hotel to Fawlty Towers but with an underlying smell of self loathing and disdain for it's paying customers.

i would suggest that the hotel invests otherwise go out of business but it seems to make a trade out of pulling in coach loads of old dears and entertain them with karaoke, which I could hear from my room. End the exploitation of the aged and upgrade this hotel!!!!

Oh and the car park is small ... if you value your car and health find another hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank SuperHands

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2010

My partner and i checked into the hotel as we were en route to Edinburgh for Hogmanay.

Basically there was damp on the walls and peely paint in the corridor, some exposed wiring and ladders and decorating equipment everywhere.

Our room was like something I have never seen in a hotel before. Damp and mildew on the walls and ceiling, the room stank of cabbage and was freezing cold. the bathroom was god awful, with chipped tiles, again mildew and grout and so so depressing. It looked like the kind of bathroom they show in holiday nightmare shows on television.

Neither of us are one to complain or make a fuss so and we usually would laugh so it must have been bad for us to recheck out and find another hotel.

The lady on the reception was very blase to my partner when he checked out, by declaring that noone had complained before, that is until the gentleman behind us pointed out that he was also checking out for the same reasons.

It could be lovely, it just needs a lot of work, and some better trained staff.

The hotel we went to after was cheaper and just lovely - a massive contrast.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank its_me_ohjoy
west mids
Reviewed 8 January 2010

The good thing about this hotel is the very convienient location. Apart from that myself and my family were unimpressed. On arrival we were allocated our keys, our rooms were on the 2nd floor., we waited in a queue for the lift to be operational as a very rude male member of staff put several new posters up in the lift itself, leaving several weary travellers waiting for a considerable amount of time. Later that evening in the bar my sister requested a 'hot toddy' and was told by the barman he had no access to hot water!!! My sister then said she would go and boil some herself in the room, at which point the barman could suddenly fetch some himself.
The breakfast was ok, the rooms were shabby but clean, but the majority of staff need to go on a customer care course!!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
London, England
Reviewed 11 December 2009

Thinking of this hotel makes me smile; for some reason, despite its distinctly worn nature, I quite liked staying there. The prices were quite good, and the staff very helpful. The location is excellent for Harrogate - everything is within walking distance.

The room service is also pretty good, though it closes quite early. Breakfast can be a surreal affair, taking place buffet-style in a very large room that is either packed when a tour is in, or virtually empty otherwise.

Thinking back, I can't honestly say why the place makes me smile - it just had that sort of worn but plucky British feel to it; a bit of character relative to the drudgery of chain business hotels.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
4 Thank Captain_RandomName
West Midlands
Reviewed 5 December 2009

Stopped for one night at this hotel and that was enough. Staff on arrival were miserable and un-welcoming. Room was very small and was dirty with wallpaper and light fittings hanging off the walls. I'm not sure if the bed had been changed as there was hairs in it, the bathroom was dirty and the television didn't work.

One redeeming feature was the food in the restaurant, although the room was obviously not re-decorated in the last decade the food was very good and the breakfast was excellent!

This could be a nice traditional hotel with a little work!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo