“ABSOLUTELY FINE - GREAT HOTEL”

The St George Hotel
Ranked #21 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 23 July 2010

As previous reviewers, I really can't undstand how people can complain about this hotel - everything was great - swimming pool, sauna, steam room, gym, - everywhere clean, well decorated the staff were most friendly - we stayed five nights on business and everything was perfect - even down to the internet connection - we will most certainly use this hotel again - great value for money.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,120)

Reviewed 2 July 2010

We stayed at this hotel for the gift fair in the exhibition centre opposite so the location was great. We checked into the hotel and my heart sank as we were showed to our room. It was very shabby (which I could tolerate - you could put that down to the age of the hotel) but the shear dirtyness of the room and ensuite was too much. We knew that because of the trade show we could not get a room anywhere else, so we checked the bedding, which was clean and settled down for the night. We were booking in for 5 nights but after the 4th we had had enough and checked out. The room rates were inflated because to the show so we paid over six hundred pounds - what a rip off. We are going to the trade show again this year but would rather sleep in the car than the St George hotel. I have just checked the trip adviser to see if their planned refurb has taken place but am not sure as there seem to be conflicting reviews? Guess I'll never know!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
StGeorgehotel1, Front Office Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2010

Thank you for your comments, We agree that during the Gift Fair in January 2010 the hotel was in need of refurbishment. However we have recently undergone a refurbishment to the Bar, Lounge, Reception Area and Bedrooms and feel now that these areas are of a superior standard.

Reviewed 2 July 2010

After reading some of these reviews I was a bit concerned about coming to the St. George but I found this hotel to be absolutely fine. It is a beautiful building in a good location close to all amenities and within walking distance of the railway and bus station. If you want to stay in a sterile, characterless hotel then go to the nearby travelodge but I much prefer these lovely old style hotels. There is a very comfortable lounge and bar area, good size dining room and the rooms are clean. The hotel is at present being refurbished but there is no disruption to guests. It can be a bit noisy at times from pub revellers through the night, but I would expect that from any centrally located hotel. My only (very minor!) complaint is my son wished to use the internet as they advertise free wi-fi but it was unavailable the 5 days we were there. One member of staff said it was run by a private company and nothing to do with them. Really! Not a very good attitude seeing as how could repairs be carried out if staff didn't inform them the internet wasn't connecting. On the whole I enjoyed my stay here at this hotel and Harrogate and the surrounding areas are well worth a visit.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments and we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are in the process of rectifying our Free WIFI service.

Reviewed 1 May 2010

20 of us stayed here to attend a murder mystery event. The rooms were all very spacious and very clean, the few signs of wear and tear only enhanced the authentic atmosphere of a lovely old hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful, especially the reception staff and night porter. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2010

Thank you for your comments and we are pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us. We have recently undergone a refurnishment of the public areas and bedrooms and we would hope to see you again the future.

Reviewed 26 April 2010

Visit didn't start well when we turned up at 2pm to book in - based on the internet guidelines on the site we booked with, to be told that the checking-in time was now 3pm and that they should have changed that web page. Despite the receptionist checking with housekeeping to see if the room was ready, the answer was that it wasn't and we left our luggage (in a secure area, which was appreciated) and we went into town for something to eat. I would have been impressed if they had promised they would do our room next, or we had been offered complimentary tea etc, rather than the metaphorical shrug of the shoulders.
When we checked in, we discovered a really tired room. It wasn't a very nice place to stay and bathroom was also extremely dated. It seems that all the hotels in Harrogate are heftily priced, but at approx. £100 per night for a double room, I would have expected more.
The location is really excellent, though, opposite the Turkish Baths. The car park is very useful, at the back.
Unfortunately from a comparison point of view, we were attending a wedding at Rudding Park, and on reflection, should have stayed there, although the room cost was considerably higher.
My partner enjoyed the spa facilities.
I didn't think much of the breakfast, which while having the usual range of juice, cereals, fruit and cooked, was rather bland and basic.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BanburyGoldenboy
Reviewed 2 April 2010

This is a two part review. The original review is below and this is an update. Comments by my colleague are under " Dross of the Highest Order" which is probably on page two of all the reviews from Feb 2010. I must point out in reply to some of the comments I have read, that gaffer tape on the carpet truly did exist, this is not some random dig at a hotel in Harrogate written by someone with nothing better to do. Rather a reaction to be asked to pay in advance for a shabby ( sometimes dirty ) uncared for hotel, whose standards are pretty low. I certainly do not live in a palace, but do expect the owners to exercise a level of care above that of a hostel. They know its run down, and it is probably being used as a " cash cow" on the coach party circuit, until one day it gets the refurb it truly deserves until that time your stay could be pleasant or awful depending on your room and the staff at the time.
The upside to all this is that I got a refund. This is my first full refund from any hotel in over 20 years. The letter I received from Shearings denied the hotel was dirty ( their choice and what else would you expect ) then made a number of excuses about refurbishment, and tactfully avoided being drawn into making comments about the gaffer tape, hole in the bathroom floor covered with lino, the collapsed and perished shower rail, threadbare furniture, untuned TV, and demand for money on arrival.
I would say they knew these areas of comment to be true and quite sensibly as they are running a business, refused to comment. The "unclean" comments clearly triggered a raw nerve, and maybe it was only my experience which I can sum up as "grubby".

I expect that if you have booked up front, then read these reviews you are going to be on the defensive, especially if your partner reads the reviews and is now worried that a pleasant break is going to be marred by a down at heel hotel. At least you have been warned and if you do the following you may escape the worst:

a) Ask to see the room before checking in. There are old rooms and refurb rooms
b) Look around the room and check for the draughty windows, and if you find a hole in the floor underneath line on the left hand side of the toilet, then congratulations you have my old room. If you find a collapsed shower curtain and threadbare carpets and easy chair, you have thefirst room I rejected
c) Take a deep breath and if you smell "shake and vac" or see a plug in air freshenor, ask yourself why this is.
d) Be honest does the picture on the web really match what you are seeing?
e) If the refurb is still taking place ask for a discount, it never hurts to ask, then use the discount to supplement your break.
f) The refurb rooms have nicer bedding and new look mattresses. If you get one of these half your potential problems are solved. If you are looking around a run down room, threadbare with all the look and feel of a hotel room last painted when Callaghan was Prime Minsiter, then " chin up" Harrogate is a nice place to be.

Please remember I probably paid double the rate that Shearings charge for coach parties and as such it represented very poor value for money. If you are fortunate enough to pay £40 a night for a double and not £80 plus, then we can all put up with the odd eccentricity for one night, can't we? This is a £40-50 double room kind of hotel, which charges £80 for passing trade, and that is the problem. Over charging and under delivering.
My original review is below. Have a look at "Dross of the highest order" review. I think it's better written than mine, though perhaps a tad harsher.

"This was a business trip with 3 colleagues all with their own rooms. I kind of knew something was amiss when a colleague called me, telling me he had to pay cash up front as he arrived.
I arrived an hour later and ordered sandwiches from room service. Only this room service means " collect from reception", okay I can live with that. Smoked Salmon Cream Cheese and Chive. What arrived? Smoked Salmon looking a bit ropey! I was told " no cream cheese so you got extra salmon". The sandwich looked like one of those mean motorway service affairs where you get all the filling at the front so I am still wondering where my "extra salmon" really was. Maybe just a plain old standard salmon with an over hyped description, rather like the hotel really.
Right back to the hotel, which from a cursory glance was looking rough, down at heel and generally run down. Okay some hotel groups run out of funds, but dirty as well? There appeared to be no pride in the hotels appearance, with great big chunks of paint missing, not just the odd scuff mark.
I went to my room ( 122 or 125 as I remember ) and found the following:
- two seats with the arm trim hanging off
- damp patches on the ceiling
- peeling wallpaper
- torn curtain tie backs
- a shower rail at a 30 degree angle with perished (!) rubbers holding it up
- a bathroom with tatty warped doors
- ropey looking carpet
At this point I went back to reception and asked for another room maybe an upgrade, which I would cheerfully pay for. I was told " we don't do upgrades". Odd as their brochure says they do.
I got a "refurbed" room.which was room 120 (?) This turned out to be a little better. The room had a plug in air freshener which is never a good sign. The throw on the bed smelled like it had been soaked in "shake and vac" rather than cleaned.
The bathroom was rough, and my favourite part was the bathroom floor by the toilet. The floor covering had been placed over an 18" by 5" hole. I am not kidding, someone had thought it acceptable to cover up a hole with lino and just leave it there. By pressing with my foot, I could hear the crunch of broken floor boards!
The TV was completely out of tune and never managed to retune properly, out of sync with the hotel guide on screen. Some of the clothes hangers were broken, and the window was draughty. The bed was comfortable and it did look like a new mattress had been fitted recently.
On the first morning I found the tray with the "extra salmon" sandwiches had been left outside the door all night, and then got a good daytime look at the paintwork of the corridors leading to the downstairs reception. The paintwork was chipped, and dirty, clearly no one had any pride in the building.
One of my colleagues endured the two days, one came up on the second night from Sutton Coldfield. After our evening out with customers, he got back in his car and drove through the night home, rather than stay in such a run down room. I believe the "gaffer tape" stuck across the carpet had indicated a standard of accommodation that he would not accept.
I am all for value for money, but at £80 a double per night, this hotel is very over priced and under delivers. When you have to pay upfront for two days stay at reception, then its time to check out quickly. We had another colleague at a hotel around the corner and the chap at reception commented that they get quite a few guests checking out of the St George and checking in with them.
I could be mildly tolerant if this was just a run down hotel with cheap rates, trying its best, but in reality its a run down hotel that has ceased to care about its presentation to the public, relying on its location and coach parties with an older clientele.
I wondered why the coach parties of retired pensioners put up with such a run down hotel, unless it was very cheap. I really hope that when i retire, rather than sitting in reception singing along to 1950's hits, I team up with other retired poeple and protest about the shabby rooms!! "

Remember one letter/email to Shearings and you stand a good chance of getting a refund, if your complaint is genuine. If you had a good time at the St George you are fortunate, but please don't then write a cliched tirade against people who do complain based on some ill thought out premise that we are all wriddled with hypochrasy about our standards away and at home, or or social climbing aspiration to be in a 6 or 7 star hotel! Some of us just wanted a clean, pleasant hotel at a reasonable price with no bad bits that a little bit of care would solve very quickly.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank hillmanblue
Reviewed 1 April 2010

I booked this hotel for our anniversary before I read the reviews, some of which (especially the one which mentioned gaffer tape) made me laugh out loud. However, I cannot agree. The hotel is central and charming, reception staff were helpful, our room was clean and had all the usual amenities. Pool disappointing for swimmers, being a teacup shape, deeper in the middle and shallow round the sides but the steam room and jacuzzi made up for it. Food was good, made better by the character and friendliness of the waiting staff. I think the term 'shabby chic' describes this hotel extremely well

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple