“Probably the worst Indian I've had to date” 1 of 5 bubbles

Cafe Masala
Price range: US$16 - US$39
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Bangladeshi
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout
Description: Newly opened Indian Resturant In Harrogate. Only opened in january 2011, Fantastic food, contempery atmosphere, friendly staff and a whole lot more!
“Probably the worst Indian I've had to date”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

After eating at very good established restaurants for a long time now, cafe masala is probably the worst meal I have eaten to date. Meals were over laced with far too much sugar, and lacking any content or flavours... I've had ready meals that tasted far better. The manager was very rude once we confronted him about the matter, although the service was reasonable on a couple of occasions we had to ask where our drinks were. We left very dissatisfied never again... why can't harrogate do any decent Indian food, Leeds and Bradford are far superior.

yorkshire
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

Having been a fan of asian and indian food for forty years and having eaten it in many different destinations (including leeds, bradford and brick lane in london) this is the best ever. The food has depths of flavour (without burning if that is what you want), the portions are generous, the service is friendly and informative and I cannot fault this place in any way. It is also excellent value for money. We will be returning time and again (have already been twice in a week since first found it) and will certainly recommend it to anybody.

Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
“brilliant!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

me and husband stayed in the new park hotel which is above cafe masala. I just want to start by praising the staff they were so friendly and smiling happy to help at all times, we started in the lounge area which is warm and inviting and drank some lovely jack rabbit. At the table we looked through the menu and the staff were very informative regarding the options and dishes. The food is beautiful really clean and fresh tasting ( and i have worked my way around indian restaurants in my time) every mouthful was gorgeous. what else so i need to say? i will definately be dining there again and i am at this minute craving the lamb chops...a must!!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“By far the best Indian cuisine in Harrogate”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

While there are several good Indian restaurants in Harrogate, in my opinion Cafe Masala is the best by strides. Between take-away and dine-in my wife and I eat there about once a month and have never been disappointed. The menu has several unique dishes that you won't find at any other restaurant, many of which show off the chef's creativity. There are also many offerings from both the spicy and mild end of the spectrum which is great since I like extremely hot dishes and my wife can't stand spicy food. For me, what really sets this place apart from the rest is the quality of ingredients (large tender pieces of chicken and lamb) and their ability to make very spicy dishes which still have a lot of unique and distinct flavors without getting overpowered by the heat. My wife and I have also found the staff to be very courteous and attentive and they are extremely flexible with the menu, allowing you to spice up or spice down any dish to suit your palate. For the spicier palate, my personal favorite is the Moghalian Taste (get it 4 chili hot) which has some fantastic flavors.

I know the bar area struggled to find its niche when they first opened (it was more akin to a disco/club than a restaurant bar) but I think now its been re-done really well and is a very relaxing place to hang out while waiting for a table. They don't have any traditional cask ales but they finally got Cobra on draught which complements the food really well.

Basically, we love this place and if you haven't been here since they opened it, I would advise giving it another try since I think they have really settled and found their groove.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Worth another visit.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012 via mobile

We went here with some Aussie relatives in May. Our favourite curry house (The Mujib) had closed earlier this year and we'd been having curries from a takeaway instead of a restaurant. Cafe Masala isn't far from home and our Aussies wanted a curry to eat out so we thought we'd give it a try.

After some poppadoms, we had a Mix Platter and a Veggie Mix Platter to share between us to start and they were very tasty.

For mains, we had four between us; Peas Paneer, Goan Fish, Afghani Taste (lamb) and Lamb Aloowala accompanied by a garlic naan and steamed rice. We probably could have managed with only three mains between the four of us as the portion sizes were generous. All the dishes tasted really good, though the Goan fish wasn't really to my taste but a little of it was OK.

The wine list was fine and we had a bottle each of red and white - can't remember what, though.

The staff were great and were able to give us some good advice when we weren't sure about some of the dishes. Service was attentive without being over the top.

We'll definitely go again.