“Overpriced food & needs a refurb”
Review of Ali Raj

Ali Raj
Ranked #216 of 441 Restaurants in Harrogate
Price range: US$24 - US$40
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Overpriced food & needs a refurb”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Just had a couple of main courses. The food was okay, kind of reasonable take away quality but it was overpriced. The premises leave a lot to be desired. Won't be returning to this restaurant again.

Visited October 2013

“Friendly service and delicious food.”
Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

We have been coming here for over ten years, and the cheerful welcome and consistently excellent standard of the food have never wavered. The chicken rezala is a particular favourite, and the shashlik is a fizzing, dramatic event of a dish. Harrogate has a number of very good Indian restaurants, but this is certainly the best.

Visited April 2013
“Best in Harrogate”
Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

We love it here. The food is consistently good. Service is great and the staff are always welcoming. It might not be as flash as some of the other Harrogate Indian eateries but for value and standard of food the Ali Raj is a clear hands down winner.

• Visited September 2013
Downham Market, United Kingdom
“If you can't stand the heat ......, ASK!”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We were in Harrogate for a few nights and fancied an "Indian" meal. We actually spotted the Ali Raj from the back and noted that it was Bangladeshi.

The entrance to the restaurant is not that promising - it's up a flight of stairs, the carpet of which had a definite musty smell.

Our initial impression of the dining area was not much better - there were no other customers and two of the staff were sitting at one of the tables just chatting.

But we were immediately made welcome and shown to a window table where we both had a good view of the bustling street below. We found the service very friendly even though our waiter was feeling very tired, with it being Ramadan. It must be the worst job to have at that time of year.

We ordered the excellent vegetarian sizzler to start with, my wife than had the special vegetable curry, whilst I went for the Sabzi Korai. My wife was delighted with her choice, but mine was far too hot for me. This was totally my own fault. I hadn't been here before and it was also a meal with which I was not familiar. There was a large choice of vegetarian main courses. All I had to do was ask!

We finished with ice cream, all washed down with the very acceptable house red.

Over the course of the evening, business had picked up creating a very good atmosphere.

We would certainly go back to the Ali Raj on our next visit to Harrogate but, next time, I would seek advice from the staff before ordering!

• Visited July 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Crap crap bland tasteless”
Reviewed 31 March 2013

It's the worst curry me and my wife have ever had. The price was ok the curry was bland tasteless the lamb was dry and the chicken tika was watery my recommendation keep well clear

1 Thank Woody1974