“Lunch at the Fat Badger” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Fat Badger
Ranked #57 of 433 Restaurants in Harrogate
Price range: US$13 - US$33
Cuisines: Gastropub, Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Fat Badger is a traditional English pub situated in the heart of Harrogate's Montpellier Quarter, close to the many attractions in town and just around the corner from the Valley Gardens and famous Royal Pump Rooms. Head Chef Richard Ferebee serves up traditional pub grub with his own twist on a number of dishes offering a high-level dining experience in the sociable surroundings of a traditional English pub.
New Milton, United Kingdom
“Lunch at the Fat Badger”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

For £10 for 2 courses at lunch, this was the best I've ever had - tasty, well presented and great value. The mushroom risotto was fantastic and the sticky toffee pudding, sublime. Friendly and helpful staff add to the delight!

1 Thank Dawn M
Matt J, Manager at The Fat Badger, responded to this review, 25 September 2014
Gosh! It's really fantastic to hear that you had your best ever lunch with us at The Fat Badger. Our 2 for £12 lunch menu is really fabulous value for 2 AA Rosette food prepared from the freshest local ingredients,

Thanks for your review, we hope to see you again soon!

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“over priced disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

we order two pints which ended up being £7.50, then and they poured our beers so it took a good ten minutes before the head had dissolved to a reasonable size. not well trained in pouring drinks! after ordering the food it took 50 minutes before we got received our meals it wasn't even busy and people who arrived after us still got their meals first. . then the portions were tiny and not very filling. they got our order wrong i had to tell people twice that we had the wrong order before anyone paid any attention to us.If we had not already paid we would of left in a instant. to top of the manger type person decided it was best to rearrange some new decorations for the place whilst everyone was eating their lunch, could they wait til it wasn't full of costumers. and they put the ladder in front of the main entrance so no one couldn't get in or out.

Visited July 2014
Matt J, Manager at The Fat Badger, responded to this review, 25 September 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of The Fat Badger, we truly appreciate all feedback for better or worse and I would like to take this opportunity to respond to the points that you have raised in your review.

£7.50 for two pints is really not too bad these days. Some pubs charge £4 plus for a pint and, for the quality of the surroundings etc, we really feel that we provide value for money. I apologise that your pint was not served correctly. All of my bartenders are trained to top up beers and ales to meet the preference of the customer, you just have to ask.

I am genuinely sorry that your food took such a long time to arrive and that your initial complaint of an incorrect order was not acted upon promptly, I will ensure that the front of house team receive training in how to deal with incidents such as these in order to avoid a repeat of the same mistakes.

I also apologise for the ladder situation, The Fat Badger does have two entrances and I'm sure that had you asked then the offending ladder would have been removed at once.

I understand that this was all in all a pretty poor visit but I would urge you to try The Fat Badger again and let us show you just how great we are 99.9% of the time.
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Avoid”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Sullen, unhelpful staff, not surprising as the management pocket their tips. Bar staff down right rude, over priced food, soggy scampi, tired and brown lettuce all for £12.

3 Thank Beckilou56
Matt J, Manager at The Fat Badger, responded to this review, 25 September 2014
Thank you for writing a review of your recent experience at The Fat Badger. While I appreciate your feedback I would like to take this opportunity to respond to the points that you have raised.

I am not sure where you have got the idea that management pocket staff tips and I would like to assure you that this is simply not the case, please feel free to ask any member of the front of house team during your next visit.

If the bar staff were rude during your visit then you have my sincere apologies, from the other reviews posted on this thread I am sure that you can see that this is not the normal state of affairs. I will raise this review with them during our next group training session and ensure that your experience is not repeated.

I also offer my apologies for the quality of food that you encountered during your visit. I just wish that you would have said something at the time so that we could have made reparations there and then rather than posting this rather unpleasant review after the fact.

I do hope that you will visit again and give us a chance to redeem ourselves and show you just how good The Fat Badger is 99.9% of the time.
Lancashire, United Kingdom
“Good food, beer and location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

We ate lunch here, very tasty, good service and reasonably priced, it's situated near the Esplanade, a great place to sit outside on what proved to be a very hot day, sip ice cold Warsteiner and watch the world go by.

Matt J, Manager at The Fat Badger, responded to this review, 25 September 2014
Thanks for taking the time to write such a nice review, our terrace is incredibly popular with Harrogate's people watchers and is a really lovely place to spend a couple of idle hours with friends.

It's great to hear that you enjoyed the food and service, we hope to see you again soon.
Yoxall, United Kingdom
“Nice little spot on a sunny day”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Nice atmospheric pub to sit outside of and watch the world of Harrogate go by. Good selection of ales although not the cheapest .

Visited July 2014
Matt J, Manager at The Fat Badger, responded to this review, 25 September 2014
It sounds like you really enjoyed your recent visit to The Badger, I too love to sit and watch the world go by from our beautiful terrace when I get the chance. I take great pride in my ales and, while they may not be the cheapest (there's always Wetherspoons after all!) you wont find cask ale in better condition anywhere else in Harrogate.

We hope to see you again soon.