“Small, interesting but could be more”

Royal Pump Rooms Museum
Ranked #11 of 68 things to do in Harrogate
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Not expensive £3.95 each, a vision of time gone by, shame couldn't combine visit with a visit to the Turkish baths. Harrogate is a beautiful City well worth a visit.

2  Thank Cags1960

Reviewed 31 May 2014

The Royal Pump Room Museum, sorry to say, was a total let-down in terms of what there was to see, or lack thereof. For £3.85 each admission fee, it was rather expensive.

To our disappointment we could not see any of the famous waters or even sample it!

There are mainly informative boards and displays but nothing to talk about. The closest you’ll get to the baths is seeing the large boards outlining the types of treatments visitors received. There is more information on fashion and Egyptian relics than there is on Harrogate, its famous visitors, history and the functioning of the Pump Room.

The most interesting thing about our museum visit was learning about Agatha Christie's connection to Harrogate, but that's about it. Everything else we saw here, we could have gotten out of a textbook! Sad to say really.

The Pump Room of today is virtually empty and devoid of anything but a desk, bench and a hole covered with Plexiglas down which you peer to see nothing but a shallow tunnel. The Museum would do well to turn it into a place where visitors to Harrogate can once again come to socialise. Tea Rooms or an elegant restaurant would be a great idea, or even a local Tourism office /shop. So much can be done to use and share the building rather than keeping it as a sterile, empty environment!

I could suggest that you save your money, but I guess the admission fee likely goes toward ongoing preservation of this landmark for future generations to enjoy. So, in a sense, it would be money put to useful purpose. But had we taken the advice of others visitors to heart, we would have skipped this sight altogether.

2  Thank The_Concierge_8
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Visited the museum with my 27 year old daughter and my 8 year old granddaughter and we all found the museum fascinating and really interested in the old historic items. My granddaughter loved filling in the fact sheets and spent an enjoyable two hours

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I took my son to look around here to get out of the rain! We live locally but had never been before.
There is an entry fee but we got in free as my son has a 'Max' card (for special needs).
There is lots to see in a small space, interesting items from bygone years and history to read.
Everyday items are on display which my son could relate to, rather than boring artefacts. Good Eqyptian section with a painted wooden coffin. Also lots of pictures and history of Harrogate.
We could see down into the well but were not aware that it was possible to tour round it, maybe we arrived at the wrong time (mid afternoon).

1  Thank gillygate
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Royal pump rooms were informative and you did have chance if you liked to see the Sulphur Well. I thought the best part actually was the exhibitions of clothes and jewellery. The admission is only £3.75 but i wouldnt recommend making a special journey if you have any alternatives.