“Pricey but a real treat and very educational”

Bettys Cookery School
Harrogate, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Pricey but a real treat and very educational”
Reviewed 30 December 2012

There were lots of different people on the course when I visited, from father and daughter pairs to groups who were in town for events or a conference. The tuition was excellent and very clear and there was constant support during the sessions when we were making our own dishes. Lunch was delicious and made it a very sociable day. It's not cheap but really is worth every penny and you get to bring your creations home for the rest of the family to share and enjoy!

Visited March 2012
1 Thank GirlaboutHGtown

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“No thanks!”
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I don't know why this is regarded as the 'must visit' place in Harrogate! There was a queue when we passed by so we have not tried it but quite honestly upon looking inside and viewing the menu there are plenty of far more homely places to dine in than here - we found a beautiful Bistro just round the corner - fantastic!

Visited October 2012
Yorkshire, England
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Can't wait to return!”
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I read the brochure for the cookery school every time I went to a Bettys tea room and liked the sound of it. My husband must have been fed up with me doing this as he treated me to a day making Christmas goodies and it was a most enjoyable experience.

The day kicked off with a warm welcome from Lisa. Before beginning work, fresh fruit salad and croissants were served for breakfast with as much tea/coffee as you could want.

We had a long list of things to make and I wondered if there would be time for them all. No need to worry. Everything was well organised. We were given a demonstration of each recipe and then made it.

Michael was the tutor and was really friendly and helpful. Justin, who works in the craft bakery next door, demonstrated many recipes. He makes them for the Bettys shops so he really knew what he was doing. We were treated to explanations of the science behind recipes as well as anecdotes about Bettys bakery. Very interesting.

All the ingredients were already weighed and bagged to save time. The day was organised very well and when I came to gather up all the goodies at the end of the day I was amazed to have so much to take home.

The price includes all ingredients, breakfast, lunch, a folder of recipes and a Bettys apron. At tea breaks you are given biscuits or cakes from Bettys. Yum. Not good if you are trying to diet!

I am currently trying to decide which course to try next although its hard to choose one as they all sound good.

Visited October 2012
5 Thank Yorkshire Princess
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“The experience of a lifetime”
Reviewed 3 July 2012

A must for anyone who loves to bake this is a very friendly cookery school sharing the secrets of Betty's. The food is sumptuous & the attention to detail is second to none.

1 Thank JOSEPHINEBARKER
saltcoats
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Very good !”
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I did a baking course here and thoroughly enjoyed my day. We were provided with all the necessary containers to take everything away which I appreciated. The lunch that was provided was very good and there was lots to eat during the day. Both tutors were very informative and friendly. If I had one negative comment to make, it would be the amount of washing up that we had to do. For the price, I honestly would have expected a kitchen porter to be present. It is after all, a day out and I do enough washing up at home ! It would not put me off coming back again as I really learnt a lot and we covered a lot but maybe the school could stretch to employing someone for this task !

Visited May 2012