“Jumping through hoops just to try to book on a course.”

Bettys Cookery School
Reviewed 12 March 2013

I have given up trying to book onto a course. I have listened to a message for 9 minutes (at which point I had to get off the phone) saying they are busy and to hold. I e-mailed - reply stated I can't book on-line or by e-mail. However, they'll call back - I, like many people, can't accept calls at work. Phoned next morning at 08.30 and 08.35 - message said office closed at the time - although it's open from 08.30!! I phoned at 08.45 - message said too busy to answer. The switchboard could only have been open for a maximum of 5 minutes!! I e-mailed again- response was should be easier to get through today. Several calls later I finally spoke to some-one and asked if I could pay by cheque (course was to be a gift and donor had offered to send a cheque). But no - first-bookers need to pay by card. I feel like this has been an obstacle course and I have given up. I was so looking forward to this. *Hard to get through * No IT- based booking * Restricted payment method * Poor call-handling.

4  Thank foodandtravel2

Reviewed 25 January 2013

I did an Italian Bread Making course about 5 years ago and really enjoyed it. I returned this week to do Yorkshire Breads. Excellent tution, food and a great time had with nice fellow students. Quite expensive but a must!!! Thanks Bettys

1  Thank mikeyt
Reviewed 14 January 2013

I did the Piece of Cake course. It is expensive but was a very enjoyable day. The refreshments are great throughout, the lunch was lovely. The area was good to work in, with plenty of room to prepare. The demonstrations are good and the overhead camera gave a really good view of the tutors dishes. The building is also very nice. The host and tutors were very friendly. I would recommend.

1  Thank JC00000
Reviewed 30 December 2012

There were lots of different people on the course when I visited, from father and daughter pairs to groups who were in town for events or a conference. The tuition was excellent and very clear and there was constant support during the sessions when we were making our own dishes. Lunch was delicious and made it a very sociable day. It's not cheap but really is worth every penny and you get to bring your creations home for the rest of the family to share and enjoy!

1  Thank GirlaboutHGtown
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I don't know why this is regarded as the 'must visit' place in Harrogate! There was a queue when we passed by so we have not tried it but quite honestly upon looking inside and viewing the menu there are plenty of far more homely places to dine in than here - we found a beautiful Bistro just round the corner - fantastic!

1  Thank Steve S