“Swiss favourites”

Bettys Cookery School
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Betty's cookery school is the best cookery school in the north of England. The facilities are well appointed with sufficient space to prepare and cook. Unlike other cookery schools you don't have to share preparation ur ingredients with fellow participants. All the recipes are tried and tested giving you the confidence that you can recreate them at home. Betty's may not have a Michelin star but their food is classic and above all extremely tasty. Whenever I recreate their recipes I always get complimented. Their Swiss favourites one day course is a great day out. The day is well paced, the tutors are excellent explaining everything. Can't fault the cookery school- why go to any other cookery school when you can learn everything you need to know at Betty's?

2  Thank Margorsson

Reviewed 19 July 2014

This is an excellent course held in a purpose built building on the outskirts of Harrogate. The post code they give you will get you to the gate just outside the building and the only people having a problem finding it were the locals who thought they know where it was.
They run lots of courses and in my experience they are all excellent. The equipment, ingredients and most importantly the tutors, most of whom have been professional chefs, are outstanding. Betty’s is an ethical company in everything they do and it shows, from their use of specific suppliers, the use of herbs from their own garden at the back of the building and the disposal of waste.
The format is fairly constant with arrival at 8:30 for tea/coffee and croissant from their bakery in the next building, with a prompt 9:00am start. The tutors demonstrate each dish and you go to your own bench and cook it. For most dishes you take them home and finish the cooking in your own oven. Sometimes you cook your own lunch.
I thoroughly enjoyed the courses and would highly recommend them. I will definitely be back. Indeed about two thirds of the persons participating have been before on previous courses.
One piece of advice is to bring a cool bag to take the food you have cooked home.

2  Thank md1mm
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I did the fish course, I have my own catering business, but wanted to learn fish filleting techniques. The course did just that and we produced some lovely finished 'ready for oven' fish dishes. I was concerned that the course may be below my level of competence. Not at all, it was fast moving, specialised course and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The courses are quite expensive, but it is learning for life.

2  Thank WJSYork
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I have been to the Betty's coffee shop in York when imon my holidays with my family and it take you back to time what it was like then it a very special place to in York and may be I got back some time I will give it 10/10

Reviewed 4 February 2014

My wife and I were bought from a group of friends as a wedding present. We did the bakign with chocolate course.

Whilst the tutors were amazing and helpful (there is nothing they could have done better), and the recipes great, it didn't feel as good as it should for the money. The lunch in particular was very underwhelming, likewise the refreshments at breaks. A lot of the recipes were similar too, using the same ingredients and techniques.

We did have a great day out (and it was a superb gift to receive), but wouldn't do it again unless the price went down by a third, or the niggles were sorted out.

1  Thank Anthony B