“Pickles and pickle tray condiments stored in the corridor on the way to the toilet” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jaipur Spice - CLOSED

Jaipur Spice
Price range: US$12 - US$25
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Thai
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

So the title says a lot really. I spotted it after I had been to the toilet. The relishes were in sealed containers but the onion chutney was open to all with a spoon left in there. You can imagine what some people who are drunk could get up to on their way to & from the toilet.

Instant downgrade on the rating because no matter what anything else was like this is surely a hygiene issue. I just wish I had spotted this at the start of the meal rather than afterwards.

The pickles and poppadums were OK, nothing special and a bit runny.

Of the starters my wife had onion bhajis and I had a mixed kebab. The bhajis were very nice, not too soggy as some places seem to serve them up. The meat part of my starter was OK, just a little bland.

For the mains my wife had a chicken korma which was as you would expect and she said it was OK. I had a spicy lamb dish but to be honest found it rather bland and very chewy, it was nice enough but nothing special.

We both had a mushroom pilau and this was a decent dish with plenty of mushroom.
The naans were a nice size and doughy too although the cheese hadn't melted properly on the cheese one but was still nice enough.

Overall the food is nice but as I mentioned above it is also rather bland and I wouldn't be in a hurry to go back but obviously seeing where they store the pickles etc then there is no chance of us returning anyway. If they store the pickles like that then what else is going on?

To be fair the staff are pretty good, very friendly and I have no issues with them at all.

They asked us to leave a review if we enjoyed it, well I would like to leave a review whether I enjoyed it or not. Without the hygiene concern I would've rated them at 3 stars.

Oh and I should have looked at scoresonthedoors first rather than as I have just done.

Nuff said.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JR-Eng

Manchester, United Kingdom
“A fine example of poor quality cooking and ingredients”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

Firstly, i would like to ask, where the dinners who applauded this restaurant have eaten before? They reLly need to get out more... Went with my partner mid week and took the advice of the young waiter as to what was highly recommended... ALL the dishes including the mushroom rice were made from cut price ingredientsand cooked no better. The meal was appalling, vey small and totally missing any flavour. DO NOT go here if you want a decent Indian meal. Would never ever come here again unless paid a lot of money. Verdict, the only thing good was the Kingfisher, but then that was not prepared by them!!

• Visited February 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Howard W
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
“After 6 years is still great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

Visited Harrogate 6 years ago with my wife and we found a great little Indian so when we visited again the other week we went there again. The name has changed from Bengal Spice to Jaipur Spice but no worries it was as good as we remembered, if not better. The menu is very comprehensive abd the waiters will guide you as there was lots of dishes we hadn't heard of before. Add to this a very drinkable bottle of red for a very reasonable price and it all added up to a great evening.
There are loads of restaurants in Harrogate to choose from but we are glad we chose this one!

• Visited January 2012
Chichester, United Kingdom
“Superb contemporary Indian food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

Not your typical Indian restaurant. Very high quality, imaginative food. Pleasant light and comfortable dining room. Excellent attentive, polite and friendly staff. Good value especially for this quality.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank Chris_Chich
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely modern Indian restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

Visited recently was recommended by a friend. Lovely modern restaurant with a very extensive menu. The salmon shashlik starter was cooked to perfection, presented very well too. Main course was also superb. The atmosphere was very nice and cosy, very friendly and attentive service. A good addition to Harrogate which is in need of a good quality Indian establishment. Good luck

• 4 of 5 bubbles