“Classic Cozy Country Pub”
Review of The Sun Inn

The Sun Inn
Ranked #87 of 442 Restaurants in Harrogate
Price range: US$6 - US$17
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, View, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Sun Inn offers a traditional country pub menu, with homemade favorites, light bites, old fashioned basket meals & children's choice's, Also A Traditional Sunday Carvery. Hand pulled cask beers from local brewery Theakstons of Masham as well as a firm favorite Morland Old Speckled Hen. Pool table, Video Jukebox, Darts & Regular Live Music. Dog Friendly Too!
Leeds, England
“Classic Cozy Country Pub”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I wrote a review of The Sun Inn some time ago and gave it 3 stars because my meal that day was average at best, all down to a very hard (and frankly unedible) crust on my speak pie. I've been several times since then and wanted to edit my review but that is not a simple process so I've had to start anew.

My experience should be noted by anyone who makes choices solely upon reviews on TripAdvisor. In most cases, one visit to a location is rarely enough to give an accurate review, good or bad, although I understand that one visit is often all a reviewer can comment on.

As I said above, I've been fortunate enough to have visited The Sun Inn several times since my initial review and the fact that it's a round trip of just over an hour from my house, should show that I like the place a lot. Today was no exception and wanting a light lunch and a drive out into the countryside, the Sun Inn was our first choice. Their web site is excellent and both of us knew exactly what we wanted before setting off.......the steak and onion sandwiches with a shared basket of chips. And this time I even remembered to ask for my small side salad to be free of dressing and coleslaw.

Everything about the visit was perfect, as it has been since my first review. With only a few patrons, it was quiet with only background festive music at a low volume. Both open fires and the log burning stove (right next to our table !) were keeping the place toasty warm and the Christmas tree and subtle decorations added to the seasonal atmosphere. Our steak sandwiches were delicious as were the golden chips - very filling at a very reasonable price.

The Sun Inn is set in a lovely country location near Menwith Hill and the drive to get there is all part of the experience. If you are in the area, I'd highly recommend a visit.

• Visited December 2013

Leeds, United Kingdom
“This is a PROPER pub !”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

First things first, this is the sort of pub that the PubCos wish they could duplicate a thousand times all over the country, but they can't because this is the genuine article, an old well established pub serving good beers (shame I couldn't try them today as I was driving) and good home cooked food - so don't expect the standard template pub interiors, but DO expect a warm welcome both from the open fires (yes, real coal fires) and from the bar staff.

We both had the home made steak pie today and opted for the small portions which still filled both of us, a genuine home cooked steak pie full of meat, veg exactly as I like them (crisp), a huge pile of chips and for the wife FIVE boiled potatoes - a right plateful and we enjoyed the lot.

Thanks to both members of staff who served us this lunchtime (sorry I don't know your names) and thanks to the chef, we'll certainly be back.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank GaryKitch
Otley
“Great place for a warm fire and good food”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Just had lunch there today. Food good as usual, but, what large size of fillings!
Dog loved the fire and the beer is good.
Give it a try.

• Visited October 2013
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Excellent Sunday carvery”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We visited the Sun Inn for Sunday lunch and thoroughly enjoyed it. As it was only mid day we had a good choice of where to sit with the dog which is a pleasant change from some places where there is limited dog friendly seating. Four of us had the carvery which was excellent value for money (£10.95 for 2 courses if I remember correctly). There was a generous serving of meat and 2 Yorkshire puddings plus plenty of veg, stuffing, sauces and gravy. Very good. There was a good selection of puddings such as sticky toffee and jam roly poly. All excellent. One family member chose the Cajun chicken and chips in a basket which was also very generous and good value for money. As it was a lovely sunny Sunday the pub did get busy and the car park was full when we came out so it may be a good idea to get there early! Will definitely return.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Kevin P
“Sunday carvery”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

simply spot on lovely meat well priced kids get priced fairly will go back more often for a roast dinner

• Visited August 2013