“A good day out”

RHS Garden Harlow Carr
Ranked #9 of 73 things to do in Harrogate
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We used it as a meeting place for a family get together, it was perfect, we went to Betty's restaurant it wasn't cheap
, but the quality of the food and the cleanliness ,not forgetting the friendly staff were worth every penny. we did our homework before we went regarding prices and had a full meal, cakes and a pot of tea it worked out £20 each.
The meals were excellent and served to perfection, we loved it.
The trolley was brought to us and we chose the desert and everything on it looked good, it is a long time since we had service like that
There were plenty of toilets all very clean.
The grounds were well kept and it was pleasant to walk round, there was a tea room and an ice cream kiosk, and many interesting features. We spent 4 hours there.
We probably will go again but on another occasion I wouldn't go round the grounds, as I thought it was a little on the expensive side £8 each. or perhaps I am out of touch with prices. I felt £5 would have been a reasonable price and worth it.
All round the day-out was what we expected, and I enjoyed it.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,175)
All reviews
in 25 reviews
"different areas"
in 24 reviews

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Fantastic place to visit. I feel that calling it a garden is underwhelming, as it is so big and beautiful. It has trees, wooded areas, flower beds, lovely landscape, veg garden, picnic areas, children's play areas and of course Betty's tearooms.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

The gardens are beautiful and there are a couple of really good areas for children to let off steam too. If you're visiting on a budget, though, do note that the Betty's cafés wouldn't be most people's idea of a cheap lunch option. We generally take a picnic.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

We have been visiting Harlow Carr for many years. The gardens are very good and have improved considerably since RHS took over the running of them. Unfortunately the catering facilities at the site are contracted out to a local restaurant. There is no access directly from the garden and the main customers seem to be non-garden visitors. The contrast with the range of eating facilities and the nutrition and eco values of RHS Wisley is very noticeable. If you are interested in gardening and plan to visit the garden it would be advisable to take your own food and drinks.

See more reviews
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I visited here with a friend I had been staying with as a bit of a fill in before getting a train home at lunch time. Despite it pouring with rain it was still lovely wandering round the well kept gardens and getting some ideas for my own garden. The vegetable garden was very interesting and informative. We went and had a coffee and cake in Betty's cafe which was very nice if a little overpriced - but as expected for a place like Betty's. I would definitely go back and would like to spend a lot more time there.

1  Thank Linda0691