““A peaceful retreat in the Heart of Yorkshire!””
Review of Hazel Manor

Hazel Manor
Ranked #1 of 99 Harrogate B&B and Inns
Kingston Upon Hull
““A peaceful retreat in the Heart of Yorkshire!””
Reviewed 27 April 2012

My wife and I, plus our two children (12 yrs & 13 yrs) had a wonderfully tranquil overnight stay at the very tastefully appointed B&B of the Hollins family in the Yorkshire Dales.

It’s location so close to Harrogate was a surprise, just five minutes from the city centre you enter another world with unspoilt vistas of gently rolling hills.

The long driveway, gated access and easy parking was very nice. As was our welcome as we walked through the partially enclosed stone walled garden, to the Hazel Manor entrance.

We stayed in the larger of the two rooms (with said vistas) which was very spacious indeed and with just the right amount of artful luxuriousness! The bed was dreamily comfortable. The only slightly unusual thing absent, something we had become too acclimatized to in most overnight stays away from home, was the complete and utter lack of noise! Of any kind! No whining ventilating equipment. No banging doors. No distant whir of traffic. None! - Lovely.

Hazel Manor offers the perfect stillness of a country idyl. One complemented as I said with bedroom window seat views to the Wolds in the morning.

The children shared a bed in the smaller but equally well furnished second bedroom and we now have additions to their long wish list of items of two “..mattresses just like theirs”.

The hosts were extremely welcoming and very friendly. And the food at breakfast was really special.

In the morning we popped into the quaint village of Ripley (2 mins drive) and visited an Antique’s Auction in the very traditional Village Hall and then had a stroll around a wonderful little Art Gallery where the very nice owner and I chatted about Art from Yorkshire. Then onto Harrogate for a trip around the galleries and shops there.

Hazel Manor is a little piece of luxury escapism – A great base to explore the countryside or town. We couldn’t fault it. We’ll be back.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Janet H, Owner at Hazel Manor, responded to this review, 28 April 2012
Thank you for your kind comments we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back at some point.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Goodness, what a fantastic few days!

Hazel Manor is more than a beautiful manor house that offers B&B, it's a total experience that just keeps on delivering everything one could wish for.

I booked in for three nights to take the residential Stone Sculpture Course on offer by the owner and wonderful artist Janet Hollins. Janet not only provided GREAT tuition, totally facilitating in all ways, but also happens to be a pastry chef and between her and her husband they run this GORGEOUS place, I am shaking my head here trying to find the right way to do it justice. There are two rooms, I took the smaller one having booked this course just to treat myself, and it was just lovely, gorgeous bed, gorgeous power rainwater shower, everything spotlessly clean and everything at hand.
For a couple the huge second room will be beautiful, and my husband and I are already thinking of going back there together.

Wonderful tasteful decor, art beautifully displayed and best of all some of Janet's work, too. Because of its situation it's totally silent at night, there is no road noise, and even their angel eyed greyhound never barked once the whole time I was there. Nice to meet the children, too.

Breakfast is a perfect experience, too, great choice of buffet and the hot breakfast cooked to perfection by Janet, before she goes on to change roles to teach me how to sculpt stone?! What an incredible woman and no hint of arrogance whatsoever.

Both her and her husband couldn't do enough to make it a happy and welcoming experience throughout the stay, and coming home after three days with a sculpture I was totally delighted with I realised that it felt as if I had been away for a week or two, a totally relaxing away from it all time, that was worth its weight in gold. If you're not really into health spas but rather learn something new at a most beautiful place and being enveloped by care and attention by the owners there, well, go there and do what I did, enjoy every minute.

The house is first and foremost a family home, it was a privilege to be part of it, and I will treasure those few days forever for all the right reasons.

I'll be back for an advanced course some time... can't wait.

I hope I'll be able to add photos later, if not, please do look at their website gallery, it's all true or better even. Lovely gardens, too, everything just perfect.

Room Tip: The small room great for singles, the large room perfect for couples.