A couple of months overdue but I felt I had to share the excellent experience my (new) wife and family & friends had when hosting our wedding at The Yorkshire Hotel at the back end of April.
It was the day after the other big wedding of the year (yes, the royal one) and something we arranged in 6 weeks, start to finish.
The location was perfect as we and most of our guests live in and around Harrogate, though parking is a limited at the hotel itself - there is plenty of town centre parking within easy waking distance though.
The hotel itself is very impressive from the outside as was the function room that we'd chosen which was the Rooftop suite - this is on the top floor of the hotel and gives fantastic views of Harrogate which gave it a new perspective for lots of long time residents of the town.
The only disadvantage of being on the top floor was for the extra equipment needed for the evening reception so the DJ had a lot of heavy equipment to shift up five floors but he didn't complain and the hotel staff helped him out.
To be honest that's the main reason I wanted to write this review - the staff. I have never had such a positive experience across the wide range of people that we needed to deal with. From the wedding organiser, Katie (such a loevly, consistently pleasant person to deal with who sorted out all sorts of last minute changes ranging from wedding breakfast numbers to the choice room we had the wedding ceremony in!) to the reception staff, bar staff where people had a drink beforehand and the ones working in the Rooftop Suite itself from early afternoon right through until after midnight, and the various duty and function managers we dealt with through the day and the morning after - they were all lovely, positive people where nothing was too much trouble at any stage of the day - even when we were trying to pack up gifts and the leftovers of our cheese wedding cake at 1am, they were still extremely helpful and nice to deal with.
At the end of the day, a wedding day is supposed to be something you can try and enjoy even though you spend most of your time making sure other people are happy, but I can honestly say that the both of us really enjoyed ourselves as did everyone we invited from what we could tell.
The pros were - really nice and professional, friendly staff; smart and 'grand' venue with great views from the top floor; choice of function rooms with smart decor; reasonable price for function (we thought it would be out of our price range but competeted favourable with far less grand venues!); lovely bridal suite with balcony; and, one more time, nothing was too much trouble when it came to accomodating some of the fussier guests!
The cons - not many but nothing's perfect. The staff were very slow in topping up wine during the meal (I had one glass from sitting down and didn't get another until the desert was served - and I was on the top table!); some guest rooms hadn't been refurbished yet and whilst the ones that have been done got nothing but praise from some guests, the ones that hadn't were pretty out-of-date and tatty (though work was going on through the hotel) .
Basically, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend The Yorkshire Hotel for hosting a big event like a wedding or any other large celebration. It was a pleasure from start to finish and they helped make it an very memorable day for all the right reasons.
Mark (& Clare) Bickerdike, Harrogate
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Yorkshire is perfectly situated in the heart of Harrogate, with everything you need being within walking distance, opposite Bettys Cafe Tea Rooms. Harrogate train station,and the Internatioanl centre is an easy three minute walk away making the hotel an ideal venue for events held at the HIC.The hotel’s Hg1 Brasserie & Bar, has a high street style and is very popular with both our guests and the local residents of Harrogate. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Superbreak UK, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Yorkshire Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Yorkshire Hotel Harrogate
- The Yorkshire Hotel Harrogate