“You get what you pay for.”

The Yorkshire Hotel
Ranked #19 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“You get what you pay for.”
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I booked a last minute single room via a well known late hotel booking website and got an incredible discount on a single room, no breakfast included though. The room was high up in the rafters and obviously in one of the older parts which had skipped the recent refurbishment. This didn't bother me at all as I felt I received a room worthy of the money I had paid.
The only downside to the hotel was the £11 charge for breakfast if not included in your overnight cost, so I decided to pass on that one. Also, the Wifi was unavailable for the time I was there which was a feature I had looked for in order to enable me to work in the evening.
Overall, a welcoming hotel which will give you the service you pay for, nothing more nothing less.

Room Tip: 1st or 2nd floor will most likely have the best rooms.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2011
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. Thank you for your honest feedback, we offer a wide variety of room types and standard and we always try to offer the best value for money. I am sorry that your Free WiFi was unavailable during your stay this is highly unusual. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate .

Nick Henry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (516)
scotland uk
Reviewed 1 August 2011

stayed at the yorkshire hotel for 3 nights. we had a family room as our granddaughter was with us, the room was huge and so was bathroom, we also had a king size bed which was very comfortable. the room was very clean and we got fresh towels everyday.
the staff are very friendly and went out their way to make our stay one to remember.
the hotel is right in the middle of harrogte with fabulous shops on your door step. betty's tea rooms are opposite hotel. the staff in all of the shops and restaurants are also very helpful and friendly. we will be back staying at this hotel again in the not so near future.

Room Tip: our room was on the 4th floor and looked over the park. the view was lovely.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate later this year.

Yorkshire
Reviewed 24 July 2011

I hate to be so critical of such a beautiful building, especially as the staff were very friendly and helpful, but I'm afraid this place was a disappointment, Granted, the deal I got was very cheap, and that should have been the first warning sign, but nonetheless too much for the experience.

It appeared that if money had been spent on the hotel in the last few years, it had been spent on the lower floors. The lobby and bar areas seemed fine, but we went up to our room to discover a tired and dated setting, with a window view of a giant outlet pipe. As it happened we had been put in a double when we had booked a twin and were immediately moved from there to out actual room by highly apologetic staff.

The new room had a normal view, however the decor was shabby and in dire need of updating. The bathroom had dirty towels (stained with makeup (I hope!) from the previous occupant), the wardrobe looked like it was going to fall to pieces, the bathroom door had no lock and in general it just seemed to be falling to bits. It needed new furniture, a different layout and to be completely redecorated. Breakfast was very average, with the sort of tired greasy food that has been under the lamps for long enough to start to cry out to be eaten to end its misery.

As I say, the staff were very pleasant and helpful, which is a great boon these days, but the rooms needed serious attention and frankly should not be used until they have been brought up to date. Such a shame for such a lovely feature of this beautiful spa town.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I must apologise that you felt room that were allocated was sub standard and that you identified several general maintenance and housekeeping issues and I thank you for bringing these to my attention.
We have undertaking an in house redecoration programme which has started with the ground floor and based on your comments you can certainly see the difference it has made. We have continued this works through most corridor area and have continue these works through our bedrooms providing a 3 Star product In general we do offer a wide variety of room types and standard and we always try to offer the best value for money.
I was delighted to read your positive comments relating to the team at the hotel this is certainly one of our biggest assets and I thank you.
It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2011

A couple of months overdue but I felt I had to share the excellent experience my (new) wife and family & friends had when hosting our wedding at The Yorkshire Hotel at the back end of April.
It was the day after the other big wedding of the year (yes, the royal one) and something we arranged in 6 weeks, start to finish.
The location was perfect as we and most of our guests live in and around Harrogate, though parking is a limited at the hotel itself - there is plenty of town centre parking within easy waking distance though.
The hotel itself is very impressive from the outside as was the function room that we'd chosen which was the Rooftop suite - this is on the top floor of the hotel and gives fantastic views of Harrogate which gave it a new perspective for lots of long time residents of the town.
The only disadvantage of being on the top floor was for the extra equipment needed for the evening reception so the DJ had a lot of heavy equipment to shift up five floors but he didn't complain and the hotel staff helped him out.
To be honest that's the main reason I wanted to write this review - the staff. I have never had such a positive experience across the wide range of people that we needed to deal with. From the wedding organiser, Katie (such a loevly, consistently pleasant person to deal with who sorted out all sorts of last minute changes ranging from wedding breakfast numbers to the choice room we had the wedding ceremony in!) to the reception staff, bar staff where people had a drink beforehand and the ones working in the Rooftop Suite itself from early afternoon right through until after midnight, and the various duty and function managers we dealt with through the day and the morning after - they were all lovely, positive people where nothing was too much trouble at any stage of the day - even when we were trying to pack up gifts and the leftovers of our cheese wedding cake at 1am, they were still extremely helpful and nice to deal with.
At the end of the day, a wedding day is supposed to be something you can try and enjoy even though you spend most of your time making sure other people are happy, but I can honestly say that the both of us really enjoyed ourselves as did everyone we invited from what we could tell.
The pros were - really nice and professional, friendly staff; smart and 'grand' venue with great views from the top floor; choice of function rooms with smart decor; reasonable price for function (we thought it would be out of our price range but competeted favourable with far less grand venues!); lovely bridal suite with balcony; and, one more time, nothing was too much trouble when it came to accomodating some of the fussier guests!
The cons - not many but nothing's perfect. The staff were very slow in topping up wine during the meal (I had one glass from sitting down and didn't get another until the desert was served - and I was on the top table!); some guest rooms hadn't been refurbished yet and whilst the ones that have been done got nothing but praise from some guests, the ones that hadn't were pretty out-of-date and tatty (though work was going on through the hotel) .

Basically, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend The Yorkshire Hotel for hosting a big event like a wedding or any other large celebration. It was a pleasure from start to finish and they helped make it an very memorable day for all the right reasons.
Mark (& Clare) Bickerdike, Harrogate

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your Wedding with us and it gives the hotel team and myself great pleasure to have helped make your day special. As the General Manager it is particularly pleasing to read such positve comments relating to the team at the hotel as they are certainly one of our biggest assets. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel hopefully next year on your aniversary if not sooner.

London
Reviewed 12 July 2011

We booked through laterooms as the hotel we were staying in on Sunday was full for the Saturday night (Marriott York). I have stayed in Harrogate on several occasions with work at the Hotel du Vin next door and thought The Yorkshire would be a great base for a family trip to York and Harrogate.
The reception is beautiful, leading you to believe the rooms will be of a similar high level. However, our room was very dated, the paint was peeling off the walls under the window, the bathroom was very dated, the vinyl floor tiles in the bathroom were missing in areas. The bedroom was the same size as the bathroom and there was barely room to have the bed and our daughter's cot.
The room was not clean, there were hair grips on the floor and on the bedside table, leading me to believe the room was not hoovered.
The bed was very small and uncomfortable. Our window overlooked a large extractor fan and the noise from the pub next door was horrendous. When we finally got to sleep we were awoken by a group of loud drunk girls returning home from night on the tiles and laughing, singing and swearing in the room next door. Not great when it woke up our 13 month old daughter.
We mentioned to reception we were unhappy with the accomodation, we were offered without quibble half our money back, however we really would have just preferred to move rooms.
I definetely would not stay at the hotel again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
As well as the inital 'good will gesture' from the reception team this guest was responded to this guest by Letter.

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2011

This is our second stay at The Yorkshire and I must say I am struggling to see why some people give it such bad reviews. Unless of course they are expecting 5 star accommodation, in which case they should read more closely as it's a 3 star hotel.

But star rating aside, we have enjoyed both our stays here. The staff are polite and attentive, both on the reception desk and in the restaurant and they make the effort. As an example, the parking seems to be an issue at the Yorkshire and as there was a wedding on, there were no spaces when we arrived to check in. However the receptionist immediately pointed out where the nearest multi-story carpark was and also helpfully pointed out that as it was a Saturday, from 6pm we could park in a pay and display space for free until the end of Sunday. Armed with this knowledge, we ended up being able to park right outside the hotel anyway.

Once in our room, a front facing one as requested, we found it clean, functional with no problems at all. Yes it was relatively small, but there were only two of us and how much time do you actually plan on spending inside the room? The bed was comfy, the hot water was hot and the thick curtains did a good job of keeping the strong sunlight out the following morning.

Breakfast the following morning was perfectly fine. Everything that should have been hot, was hot and vice versa. The staff where pleasant and polite and the restaurant itself was a nice place to relax and eat.

As for value, we booked via laterooms.com and got the room with evening meal and breakfast included for just short of £80. At that price it was exceptional value.

If you are looking for a pleasant hotel, right in the center of Harrogate with great views from the front facing rooms, you could do a lot worse than the Yorkshire. Get one of their special deals and it's a real bargain too.

Room Tip: Request a front facing room
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us . As the General Manager it is particularly pleasing to read such positve comments relating to the team at the hotel as they are certainly one of our biggest assets.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2011

We were also on the coach trip and had to put up with 5 days with the idiot who wrote the nasty and to be honest lies in the review below..................roast beef does he know what we pay £28 for a 3 course dinner bed and breakfast im suprised the hotel dosnt shut with business like this lol but at least we got to take advantage of it and see harrogate before they do ............before booking my nxt trip i will make sure that horrible man isnt on it he should stay at home his family must love it when he goes away ..............the hotel isnt perfect but this does not include the food we spoke to other guests staying and they had loved food ...Mrs J :)

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2011
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us , it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.