“Brilliant”

Ranked #19 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Brilliant”
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Wonderful, clean, friendly hotel, where the staff were friendly and warm, nothing was too much trouble for them.

Room Tip: Unfortunatly there was a water leak in our room & we had to be moved. A suite was offerred!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 18 September 2011
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for highlighting the specifics about the team, it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Nick Henry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 28 August 2011

we got married on friday! not at the Yorkshire, but we booked out a large number of rooms (15+) there was an issue with almost every room. the plugs didnt keep the water in in the bath - we had to run it 4 times...there were loose tiles on the floor, the jacuzzi bath didnt work and the duty manager didnt know how to get it started! one of the mattresses had completely collapsed on one side, but they let them move rooms...one room had a crack in the sink that flooded the floor...rooms were without enough towels...the spare sofa beds were not made up and the duty manager came to make it when requested but put a double duvet in a single cover, that didnt have any buttons on so we had this lumpy duvet in a small cover...my wedding planner delivered medication to me and gave it in at reception but they neevr alerted me to this...rooms were generally shabby, and although staff responded quickly and politely they didnt acknowledge that it should have been right the first time...they also did not ring up to my room when my wedding car arrived for me or my bridesmaids! we had to look for it off balcony!
some guests came over from germany and booked 3 nights but after the 2nd night the hotel phoned me, the bride and said that they hadnt checked out..they then got hold of the person in that room and asked them to come back from their day out in harrogate only to discover that they had got it wrong and they were booked in for 3 days - they then made them pay extra to stay in another room because their room was booked.
good location, discounted rooms, some friendly staff, some, not so much...poor rooms...all in all an average stay.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments. Once again please accept my sincere apologies. As you are aware a full and detailed response has been received by yourself. This discusses the genuine shortfalls in service that occurred that we do not deny . It also highlights conflicting information received that resulted in some of these errors and also contained the specifics of offers made to your guest in way of upgrades to resolves issues but then refused.

Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2011

My wife & I had our wedding reception here, the rooftop suite was beautiful and perfect for the day and comfortable for our friends & family. The staff were brilliant & friendly right from our first meeting to the moment we checked out. The Wedding breakfast was delicious and the evening buffet was enjoyed by all. A top wedding venue, and we woul recomended this hotel to anyone staying in the area. Big thanks to all the staff!

Mr & Mrs Byron

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your wedding with us. It was a great honour to help make your wedding such a memorable day . Thank you for your positive comments about the team and the serviced recieved. I look forward to welcoming you both back to the hotel soon if for your anniversary?

Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2011

As part of a coach group we enjoyed our stay at this hotel. It is in one of the best locations and level walking to the main shopping areas. Fronted by beautiful floral displays the Valley Gardens, the spa museum and Mercer Museum are only a short distance away.
The hotel is dated, but none the worse for that. The only complaints I heard were from those allocated a room at the rear, so it would pay to ask for a room either at the side or the front.
The beds were comfortable and the bathroom with modern plumbing very good indeed and most spacious.
We were offered a good choice of food and sat in a fine room, once probably
a ballroom in the art nouveau style.
The staff were uniformly anxious to please and very pleasant.

Room Tip: As indicated in the body of my report ask for side or front of hotel.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us .The Hotel is very busy over this period which is very pleasing and I am glad you felt looked after during your stay.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 23 August 2011

I booked a family room last minute using a well known booking site, having never been to Harrogate before. The hotel was impassive to look at and our room was a small suite on the first floor. We arrived late in the evening having travelled 500 miles to find that the room was not on the booking schedule and wasn't ready for us. The staff remedied this whilst we grabbed some food. Our room overlooked the main road and gardens. Full English breakfast was included, and we arrived at 8.40 for breakfast to find a small area for self service breakfast which included fruit, cereal and cooked food. Although service was until 09.30 most items had run out which was disappointing. Plates were left under the hot lights for too long and I burnt my hand when I took a plate, I eventually located a towel to hold my plate for service. Bread had ran out and caused a wait before it was replenished for toast. I felt that brasserie was understaffed and the buffet area required better management in order that food was restocked as soon as it was low. Although it wasn't a perfect experience, I would recommend the hotel bas many of the staff did their best to make our stay comfortable.

• Stayed August 2011
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that overall you had scored your stay as good. It was therefore disappointing to read your comments regarding breakfast service. I thank you for bringing this matter to my attention which has been discussed and actioned with the food and beverage team. There are occassion during busy periods that the buffet can be depleated quickly and therefore slight delays in restocking this is never ideal. Thank you once again for your feedback.

Reviewed 23 August 2011

Granted i booked a cheap deal but the least you could expect was cleanliness and most important a room that we requested. To say the room was filthy would be kind, it smelt, was dusty and the carpets looked like a group of miners had used it to wipe thier boots. The decor was circa 1970 and that was probably the last time it had seen a tin of paint. Now to the good bit. Reservation for 2 adults & 1 child, the child requiring an extra bed in our double room, upon room allication - no bed, call to reception informed that non available and could she sleep in our bed? Good job she is very small.
Ive travelled the length of the country, N,S,E & W due to work and stayed in many hotels including budget hotels but this was by far the worst ever to date.

• Stayed August 2011
I must apologise that you felt the standard of room that were allocated was sub standard and that you identified several housekeeping issues and I thank you for bringing these to my attention. Clearly there was an error with your booking on our behalf.

After an investigation with my Duty Management team it is regrettable that your disappointment was not addressed by the Duty Manager visiting your room. I wish to assure you that if the Duty Manager had been made aware they would have endeavoured to provide an alternative room suitable for 2 Adults and a child.

Once again please accept my apologies.

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Had a lovely weekend stay for a wedding down the road. The staff were friendly and helpful, doing anything to make the stay better. Problems were quickly rectified and staff were approachable. The 241 cocktails on a Friday night in the HG1 bar are a must, all made from scratch in front of us definitely worth the wait!
The decor of the hotel and our room was a little dated but by glancing into other rooms, a refurb is in operation.
The only problem we encountered was the noise from local bars into the small hours but we were warned about this on arrival by the wonderful receptionist! This is no fault of the hotel.
All in all, I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for something a little bit more special than a chain hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quite noisy at the weekend due to close bars.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was happy to read that you had enjoyed our 241 cocktails in HG1. As stated in your review we are currently trying in to improve some of our older bedroom products through a redecoration programme. I thankyou for your honest review of the hotel and it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.