“Great location”

Ranked #20 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Uk
“Great location”
Reviewed 2 October 2011

We stayed at the Yorkshire for one night. The positives are that it is in a great location near to shops, bars and restaurants. The service was good and the breakfast nice. The building itself is historic and beautiful to look at. In terms of negatives the interior is on the tired side. It would benefit from updating of the carpets and hallway. There is parking on the site but it is limited. We arrived late so this was all taken. We did manage to get parked nearby and it didn't cost much. We stayed on a Saturday night and there was noise from outside, this didn't bother us too much and soon died down. The bed in our room was huge, and the room itself was very clean had everything you would need. All in all a nice place to stay if you want to explore Harrogate.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 7 October 2011
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that you overall you had enjoyed your stay with us. You are correct certain parts of the hotel are a liitle tired and we are endevouring to recify this with our in house redecoration programme. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Nick Henry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2011

While the room was clean it was extremely shabby. bare and small. If you are thinking of having breakfast, don't. The cheapest possible food cooked and left under heaters and very inattentive service despite only one other person in the room. If you are an experienced kgb deal hunter this doesn't compare to other places we have stayed.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
I must apologise that you felt the room that were allocated was shabby and small , I was pleassed to read that despite this opinion the room was cleaned to a good standard. I was very disapointed to read your comments relating to the products used in breakfast I wish to assure you that this is not the case. Break fast is self service in syle and I am sorry you did not feel my team did not interact in an attentive manner thank you for bringing this matter to my attention . I am sure that we were not offering our 2 night stay B&B for £99.00 deal through KGB that weekend ?

Nick Henry

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Just back from a lovely romantic break at the Yorkshire Hotel. I was a bit worried after reading some of the reviews on here but I need'nt have, as it was great! OK, the hotel is a bit tatty in places, but our room was lovely and overlooked the war memorial and Bettys. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was huge and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. I cannot comment on food as we didn't eat there, but the staff were quick to bring extra tea and coffee and replace a dodgy hairdryer. All in all a good value hotel, great location and near enough to restaurants of all prices if you dont want hotel food. We'd stay again!

1 Thank nigel894
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 17 November 2011
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. Thank you for your honest feedback I was pleased to read that overall you had enjoyed your stay with us , it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2011

We booked our double room through Tripadvisor / Late rooms and paid £ 46 for the room, without breakfast for a Sunday night stay. I thought this was very reasonable and seeing as we wouldn't arrive until after 5pm, we thought we'd risk it and then ask for an upgrade if necessary.

Well it was a lovely room. Not massive , but a much larger bathroom than expected and had obviously had a complete upgrade. Spotlessly clean and we were on a corner on the 4th floor so we had wonderful views out of the 4 windows ( room 413).

We paid the optional breakfast which was very nice ( £10 per person) but around the corner is a nice looking cafe which boasts ' 7 items for £2.99 ' .. Don't quote me but it looked just fine.

The only possible negative is that after checking in , we met a chap in the lift from the 3rd floor who was not happy and was off to see another room.

Out of season when i imagine it is rather busy, there is free parking on a first come basis and all in all we felt this was a superb, right in the middle of town hotel.

I would recommend it for everyone really. There is a bit of road noise, but usually road cleaners in the morning.. A bit of middle of town noise, but the position and being flat makes it a winner for everyone.

I will certainly go back.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Thankyou very much for finding the time to post a comment on Trip Advisor.. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us , it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

York
Reviewed 26 September 2011

We held our wedding ceremony and reception at the Yorkshire Hotel on 9th September 2011 in the Rooftops Suite. "Rooftops" is a brilliant venue for a wedding - set at the very top of the hotel you have your very own celebration space with comfortable seating and a bar outside of the main room. We had a number of children at our wedding and we felt safe knowing the venue was enclosed and not open to other hotel guests.
Throughout the planning stages and on the day of the wedding everything was handled perfect, i could not have any fault with this at all every one was so friendly and happy to help with every thing.
The wedding breakfast was fantastic. We had a couple of people with special dietary requirements who was catered for without question, the vegetarian option i have been told was beautiful also. The food at the evening reception i have been told was lovely i did not get to have any of this appart from a couple of chicken satay's but they were so tasty.
I asked most of our guests if they were happy with their bedrooms and everyone said how lovely they were. Our bridal suite was lovely, clean and spacious.
We cannot recommend the Yorkshire Hotel enough. Our day was perfect and we were able to enjoy our wedding day knowing we were in safe hands. Every single member of staff we came into contact with from the Receptionists to the bar staff was absolutely professional, friendly, helpful and nothing was ever too much trouble.

Thank you so much for such a fantastic day, we could not have asked for anything more.

Sarah & Matthew Henderson

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 8 October 2011
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read how much you had enjoyed your wedding with us. It was great to read in every detail we helped fulfil your special day. I will of course pass your comments to the team and it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel maybe for your anniversary next year if not sooner.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I stayed for one night at the Yorkshire Hotel. I was with a coach trip to the Harragate Flower Show and had actually booked as early as last September. I paid a single supplement for my room which I'm sure must have once been a broom cupboard, it was so small. However it was very clean although carpets had seen much wear. By contrast the bathroom was huge. This was also very clean and the water was good and hot! The hospitality tray was stocked with just enough teabags and coffee. I felt that the evening meal menu we were shown was unimaginative and certainly 'poor relation' fare. Because they also had another coach party for the same night they altered times for our evening meal but neglectedto tell some of our party hence some guests arrived 'late'. The food according to reports from our group was grim with the worst instance - 'Yorkshire Coley' being undercooked. My Vegetable Lasagna was beautifully cooked and piping hot but portions were meagre. Two of our party who had booked a twin room were put into two single rooms because at the same time the hotel had a wedding party reception booked and they hadn't enough rooms! One of our group was told she wasn't even booked! The reception was being held on the 5th floor and many of us had rooms on the 4th floor. Mine was Room 418. The noise was horrendous and by 11.45pm I rang reception to complain and ask when the noise would stop. I was told that it was on til 1am, but that if it was that bad they would go up and ask them to turn it down. They should have KNOWN how bad it was without me having to call. In the event it went on for longer than 1am. I think the problem at the 'Yorkshire' is understaffing as one man seems to do everything from waiting table to door key and television breakdowns. It could be a lovely hotel because it is so handy for all the shops etc. I believe the staff do their best but last Saturday night for me, and for many of our group, they got it WRONG!

1 Thank Trish094
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. Having reviewed your comments it is apparent that many single rooms were reserved for your group , we do however offer a wide variety of room types and styles which of course is reflected in price. It is unfortunate that the pre arranged dinning time agreed by the operator in advance was changed on the day by your driver! We did however have all dining times listed in your welcome letter and we try to inform as many guest as possible to the error made by the driver but it was apparent that some of the group chose to ignore the information provided. I am glad that you enjoyed your food and it is always difficult for me to feedback on other hear say comments We believe we provide exceptional value for DBB. It is unfortunate that your room appeared to have been located in near to our function room, we do endeavour to ensure that guests not attending are located elsewhere it is clear we have gotten in wrong on this occasion for which I am truely sorry. I can assure you that we were more than adequately staffed It just occured that the restaurant manager was in fact the duty manager also and who would of course assist with any guest querries or problems. I am sorry that the you felt my team got it wrong.

York
Reviewed 10 September 2011

We stayed at the Yorkshire to attend a friends wedding and loved every minute. We arrived early evening dropped our bags and then headed into Harrogate for a drink before the reception.The hotel is perfectly situated for all that Harrogate has to offer and is just a stones throw from the famous Bettys Tea Rooms. We had a room on the 3rd floor with lovely views over the city and beyond, the room was spotlessly clean with ample tea & coffee etc, a large bathroom and a smart flatscreen TV. We had a drink in the smart HG1 bar attached to the hotel and the restaurant seemed busy although we never dined. Breakfast was lovely with a good selection of hot & cold buffet items. All in all we had a great stay and despite only living in York I am sure that we shall return sometime in the future.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 18 September 2011
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us it was great to read in such detail the elements of the hotel you had enjoyed.It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

General Manger