“Excellent hotel, fantastic location for shopping and Betty's”

The Yorkshire Hotel
Ranked #19 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
north lincolnshire
“Excellent hotel, fantastic location for shopping and Betty's”
Reviewed 5 December 2011

We have just returned from a one night stay at the Yorkshire Hotel in Harrogate. Four of us had double rooms which were very spacious and well decorated. The Christmas decorations which we could see from our rooms at the front of the hotel were amazing and really added to the atmosphere. The Hotel is so central and after arriving before check in, the staff provided us with a parking permit meaning that we didnt have to pay for parking. This helped us, as the streets were busy with cars full of shoppers. After leaving the car safely parked, we made our way to Betty's tea rooms for our brunch. The tea rooms are literally a two minute walk from the hotel, which again was very convenient. After refreshments we started our shopping, and everything was so close to the hotel. This meant that we could return items as we bagged the gorgeous gifts for family and friends. When we did eventually check in late afternoon, the hotel reception staff were brilliant. We found our rooms on the second floor, and they were warm and friendly. At night, we decided to eat in the snack area (as we were still full from Betty's) and again the bar staff were brilliant. The waited on our table, and nothing was too much trouble. We ate, had a few wines, and a warming coffee with tia maria before returning to our rooms. It was a blustery night, and despite hearing the wind, the room remained warm. Breakfast was a pleasure. The room was warm, and nicely decorated for christmas. Again the staff couldnt have been more helpful, even though it was busy, they were very tentative. The food was plentiful, and lots on offer, from fruit and cereal to the full english to get us started. Indeed this set us up for our next leg of the journey, Leeds. It was only a half hour trip to Harvey Nic's and we were still full from breakfast well into the afternoon. A lovely weekend enjoyed by all, and we would definately recommend The Yorkshire Hotel and we are already planning the next trip. Harrogate is a lovely place, and the Yorkshire Hotel is a great compliment to the local history and setting.

Room Tip: extremely convenient for all of the attractions in Harrogate, a warm welcome from staff, and a lovel...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 8 December 2011
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us , it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Nick Henry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
Windermere
Reviewed 30 November 2011

Grand foyer, quite pleasant staff at reception. Small, old and jerky lift which smelled of the Harrogate's sulphurous water (or the drains) to the third floor which was characterless and bare. The lock to the room was loose and the wood around it was scuffed and worn. This seemed to be the story for the rest of the hotel. It seems to be a place which has seen much better days. Some new wallpaper and purple paint (why always purple?) and new lampshades didn't change the fact that this run-down hotel needs much more than a Changing Rooms style makeover. In the early evening, the quiet (up till then) was loudly disturbed by what was a large group of very noisy, mainly young, females, and the odd bloke, who had imported their own music and were having to talk, and laugh so loud because of it. Not a problem so much of the hotel it may seem, but the walls were far too thin. The most persistent noise though was the sound of the wind moaning and wuthering through the gap in the window and the old door all night and right up until we left at eleven the following morning. I agree with all the other comments about lack of toiletries, central heating and dull, old-fashioned lighting, and total lack of wall decorations but what really took the biscuit was the awful breakfast. We were at first shown to a table which was actually about to be occupied by someone else, so we had to be shown another. After sitting there for well over five minutes we had to look around for someone to serve us tea and coffee. When I did attract the attention of a very young waitress, she seemed baffled by the fact that I was looking for some service and even more baffled when we asked for tea and coffee. When the coffee came it was not hot and tasted stale. The self-serve cooked breakfast was made with the cheapest catering ingredients and toast was characterless white bread and cheap marmalade and butter, expected perhaps in a motel, but this is supposed to be better than that. At £10 a head it was not worth it. Recommendation - don't order breakfast, spend a bit more and queue for something exceptional at Betty's. Better still, stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which is not on the third floor. Perhaps pay more, but skip breakfast.
1 Thank Martin G
Thank you for your recent comments on trip advisor, I thank you for your honest feedback and I am sorry that you clearly did not enjoy your stay. We do offer a wide variety of room types within this 3 star environment and we always try to offer the best value for money. It is always disappointing to read negative comments relating to the hotel and I accept that some of the non-refurbished bedrooms could be seen by some guests as described. We are however continuing to undertake an in house redecoration programme which has started with the ground floor and corridor areas and working up through the floors. The room which you refer to has not yet been redecorated as part of this program. It is unfortunate that you were disrupted by other guests during your stay and I must admit your comments relating to the thickness of walls is news to me as the majority of our party walls are of solid construction due to the period nature of the building and I duly note your comments relating to the window and doors and I can only apologise that this impacted on your stay. I have of course investigated your comments with my Duty Management team and it is regrettable that your disappointment does not appear to have been highlighted or addressed by the Duty Manager visiting your room. I wish to assure you that if the Duty Manager had been made aware they would have endeavoured to provide an alternative room or at the very least offered a ‘gesture of good will’.
I also agree with the comments made by yourself and others as they are fact! The building does not have central heating but electrical heaters, the corridors do not have pictures, the corridor lighting is low energy and appears dull and finally the toiletries consist of an all over body wash and shampoo combined and an individual bars of soap none of which I feel necessary to apologise for.
Clearly the breakfast service received was not to our usual standard, we have experienced some unexpected high volumes of guest taking breakfast at exactly the same time which meant we were a little under resourced for a time. I have taken action to ensure we are well prepared for this eventuality in the future.
I was disappointed to read you were not offered tea or coffee at the table, I have retrained the restaurant team members to ensure tea and coffee is always offered to the table. I am however at a loss to your comments relating to the cheapness of ingredients and in particular the characterless white bread for toast?
It is only through comments such as yours that we you have made that we are able to improve our standard and service.
Thank you once again for your feedback.

Nick Henry

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I have just had the pleasure of attending a private birthday party for 50 people at The Yorkshire Hotel and have to say that it exceeded all expectations. Our function room was warm, beautiful fresh linen and even candles on the tables, the staff went above and beyond to make our day special and the food was the icing on the cake, excellent!! Many thanks to Nick Henry and all his staff for making our day a very memorable one. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for venue to host a celebration.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 2 December 2011
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed the event you attended with us, Thank you for kind comments relating to the food and the team. The Hotel is very busy at the moment which is very pleasing, and I am glad you felt looked after during your event.

rotherham
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We have just returned from a weekend at the Yorkshire and were pleasantly surprised after reading some of the negative reviews. The hotel is situated right in the heart of Harrogate so we were able to park the car and leave it there all weekend, We found the staff very welcoming and friendly both on the reception and in the dining area. The breakfast is buffet style but very nice. The main areas are lovely, very trendy and clean and we thought our bedroom was modern with fantastic views. Please don't be put off by the negative reviews we found this hotel a little gem.

Room Tip: we had room 413 and were not disappointed
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2011

we stayed for a couple of days in Novemeber 2011 the staff were pleasant, the breakfast was ample all you could eat. the rooms were a bit tired and could of done with a make over but all in all we enjoyed the stay

1 Thank sandy186337
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor. Thank you for your honest feedback, we offer a wide variety of room types and standard and we always try to offer the best value for money. I do hope you consider using The Yorkshire again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Scotland
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Stained carpets, absolutely no pictures on the corridor walls or in the bedroom, monochrome furnishings to add to the gloomy light. No central heating (and a convector heater that clicked on/off and shone a red light straight into your face!), a window that was almost impossible to close, a lumpy bed, chipped mugs and a soap container over the bath that fell apart the second you touched it! The bathroom was exceptionally dusty too! I'll go on - having seen where the hotel was situated, I was looking forward to leafy views, but as is often the case when travelling alone, got a room at the back with nil view but a lot of disturbance - all night - from the kitchen fans.

The main thing that made me very uncomfortable was that twice a member of staff knocked on the door and instantly walked in without waiting for an answer. I was in the bathroom the first time and getting dressed the second time! In all the years I have stayed in hotels I've never had this happen before. I now know why the Yorkshire Hotel provides a chain on the back of the door and - if you root around in the Information Pack - a "do not disturb" hanger.

Some positives: the bathroom was very roomy (and warmer than the actual bedroom); the wall-mounted TV fine, bedding nice and clean. Room service was prompt and well served (I'll get back to the food later). The staff were fine and doing their best.

The food, however, was a nightmare. The room service fish and chips should have been described as "batter with mushy transparent sand eel". If I'd been in the restaurant, I would have returned it. The next day I ate in the restaurant with a group of people and that's exactly what someone did; he said it was the "worst ever tasted". Three of us ordered the daily special "hake", but were told later by the waiter that "we can't serve it, it's not nice"; three of us re-ordered the fish and chips, but again later, the waiter came back and said "could someone choose something else again as there's only enough fish for two". I was lucky - my third choice of main course was cannelloni and salad. It turned out to be very tasty. However, I noticed the next day the dinner menu was exactly the same, so I wonder if they'd sorted out the two choices of fish? I would not have liked to stay a whole week.

Room Tip: Remember to use the chain on the hotel door, plus the "do not disturb" notice - otherwise...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank ScotlandPilgrim
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of The Yorkshire Hotel, I am sorry that your felt you stay was not an acceptable standard for which I can only apologise. I would agree that this is not representative of Harrogate and neither of this hotel! I admit we don’t always get it right and clearly you have highlighted some aspects which are not acceptable and for this please accept my sincere apology.
With regard to your room and the aspects you have highlighted during your stay that you were unhappy, I have investigated this matter with my Duty Management team it is regrettable that your disappointment does not appear to have been highlighted or addressed by the Duty Manager visiting your room. I wish to assure you that if the Duty Manager had been made aware they would have endeavoured to provide an alternative room or at the very least offered a ‘gesture of good will’.
With regard to your experience with my housekeeping team I can only apologise that a team member entered your room without waiting for an appropriate response. I wish to assure you that the only reasons for a visit to your room would either be to engage in cleaning, to carry out a quality check of the room to highlight missed cleanliness e.g. dusting or for maintenance to carry out any works identified by a housekeeper e.g. a light bulb needing to be replaced. This should have really been explained on entering the room even if they had entered at an overzealous pace. Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention and rest assured I will be carrying out some remedial coaching with my team.
I was fully aware of the issues encountered in the restaurant and sorry to learn of your experience as it is highly unusual to receive the negative comments about our fish and chips we serve high volumes every week I am at a loss as to why the dish lacked or normal high standard? It is clear from you own comments that my team were confident enough to not serve the hake as they were unhappy with its quality! I think you would agree this is a much more sensible approach than serving a substandard product. Rest assured for other readers produce is delivered to the hotel on a daily basis. I am sorry that you found ‘all food to be a nightmare’ It was my understanding from the organiser your event that the food served at the function on the 16th had been a great success? Thank you once again for your comments.

England
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Have just returned from a weekend at The Yorkshire with 7 friends as a 40th birthday celebration. The hotel is situated in the perfect location, within walking distance from the station, 2 minutes from the shops and more importantly across the road from Bettys! We all had twin rooms which were spacious and our room had a lovely big bathroom. The breakfast was a buffet which we all enjoyed and we couldn't have asked for nicer staff. See you next year!

Room Tip: Overlooking the green especially this time of year as the Xmas lights outside are fabulous
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us, it is always a pleasure to read comments such as yours . It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.