“Perfect location, Good value hotel.”

The Yorkshire Hotel
Ranked #20 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Brecon, Wales
“Perfect location, Good value hotel.”
Reviewed 30 December 2011

The location was great for us.
For a 3 star hotel and the price we paid I am not complaining about anything.
The hotel management could do some things to improve the hotel, such as better hot breakfasts and a pot of paint in the rooms.
Even without the improvements I would return to this hotel at the price I paid.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up with a view.
1 Thank Brecon_Man
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us and I certainly take on board your management suggestions, it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Nick Henry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
Hexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2011

We stayed at the hotel from 24th to 27th December 2011.
We found the staff all very pleasant and the food apart from Christmas day lunch was very good.
Owing to the age of the hotel it was quite drafty as it requires new windows although our bedroom was warm and very comfortable.

Room Tip: We had a front room on the fifth floor on the front of the hotel which gave excellent views over Har...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 3 January 2012
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry you felt that Christmas Day lunch was less enjoyable than the rest of your stay. I only wish you had brought this to my attention when I visited your table during lunch service. Thank you for your comments relating to the team. I do hope you would choose to stay at the Yorkshire in the future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 December 2011

Very central to Harrogate, but I had the impression it was much closer to York (maybe my own fault). The website makes the hotel appear more grand than it really is. No parking available when I arrived, and no staff on reception. Lifts were questionable, I was surprised they got me to my room. On the whole it was very tired, the foyer, the halls, the room. I did not try the dining room. Very noisy night, with a party in the street and drunken locals on the street. Plus side, is very close to Betty's Tea Room which was the highlight of my stay.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I am sorry that the Hotel is not as closely situated to York as you would have liked. I am sorry the room you were allocated showed signs of wear. I am also sorry that the hotels appearance did not meet with your expectation as I have stated many times on this site we are very much a converted period 3 star building. The 35 car parking spaces at the hotel are on a first come first served basis and this is advertised on our own site and others. I am at a loss as to why a receptionist was not available on check in this could have only been for a very short period of time. I can only imagine they could have been placing another guests luggage into the store located behind reception. Thank you for your comments.

General Manager.
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Reviewed 23 December 2011

bedroom a little tired and neglected, worn furniture and peeling paper in room and bathroom - mattresses the most uncomfortable we have experienced in quite a while. On the plus side, the room was very clean, the staff, especially in the dining room, were efficient and helpful, the breakfast was well-cooked and substantial and you can't fault the location, diagonally opposite Betty's in the centre of the town. Though the main through route passes close by, the hotel is set back a little so noise is not a problem. Rooms at the front have a view across the Stray (central green)

Room Tip: higher rooms at the front have best views
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your honest feedback, we offer a wide variety of room types and standard and we always try to offer the best value for money. It was disappointing to read that room allocated had some defects not yet picked up by our re-decoration programme and that you a sleepless night due to the quality of the bed. I wish to assure you that my team would have endevoured to move rooms and rectified the problem. Thank you for your positive comments about the cleanliness and how helpful the team were.I do hope you consider using The Yorkshire again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Reviewed 21 December 2011

We stayed on 17 December and the hotel was seasonally decorated and the staff very helpful and friendly.
One of the reasons we chose the hotel was we'd driven 250 miles and wanted to park the car quickly without worrying about any horrendous car park charges. The hotel claims to have parking available but there are only 35 parking spaces which had been taken by the time we arrived (at 4.45pm). However the Reception staff were helpful and gave us clear directions on where we could park for free after 6pm.
We stayed on the 3rd floor and, to be honest, after missing out on onsite car parking we were initially disappointed with our small room and super compact bathroom BUT the room was cosy warm, exceptionally clean and had a good sized comfortable bed. After freshening up we ventured outside and that's when you realise how fabulous the location of this hotel is. Comments about the hotel being worn in places are correct but this can be true of almost all 3* hotels. We ate out so can't comment on the hotel restaurant.
The friendliness of staff and central location make this a hotel we'd recommend and stay at again.

• Stayed December 2011
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 24 December 2011
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. Thank you for your honest feedback. I am sorry you did not get a parking space on arrival as you stated we do only have 35 car parking spaces which are allocated on first come first served basis. We do however clearly state this on our own website and others. I am however pleased to read that the team found you an appropriate alternative. With regard to your room we do offer a wide variety of room types and standard and we always try to offer the best value for money. The Hotel was extremely busy the weekend you stayed and it is always very pleasing to read that you felt we looked after you during your stay.
I am really pleased that despite a couple of initial negatives you would consider using The Yorkshire again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Warrington, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2011

My wife and I stayed here for one night for a family get together in Harrogate. Location-wise, you can't get any better as the hotel is bang in the middle of Harrogate with everything in walking distance. Once the location of the hotel is out of the equation, things go downhill...

Our room was a suite (£92 per night), which was absolutely huge, with two separate rooms, two bathrooms and lots of space. Apart from the space it was pretty average. The bed wasn't great - it was wider than it was long, so both my wife and I had our feet hanging over the edge a little! The decor was ok, good in places and the bathroom was also good. We had family staying in twin and double rooms and one of the double rooms was really shabby - the twins seem much bigger and still have two beds pushed together to make a double.

We paid £10 each in advance for breakfast, which was a real disappointment. It was a buffet with not much choice (hot & cold options) and not much flavour. We would have been better off venturing out into Harrogate.

It's a shame that the hotel is only average because the building is fantastic and has incredible potential if only someone would invest and sort it out. Overall our stay was fine but for what we paid, I'd have liked a little more.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of The Yorkshire Hotel, I am sorry that you felt that other than our location your stay 'went down hill' I can only apologise that you felt the standard of rooms that you were allocated were not as you would have expected from our 3 Star property. We do offer a wide variety of room types and standard and we always try to offer the best value for money and we are very much your average 3 star property but always try and offer great service. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. I am also sorry you felt that we did not offer enough variety or value from our breakfast buffet I am not sure what more we could offered along with our 7 item hot buffet, selection of fruits , yoghurts, wide selection of cereals , and juices. Thank you once agin for your comments.

Barnoldswick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2011

We stayed overnight and paid only £50 for the room. The reception staff were excellent, friendly and efficient. The suite we were given was lovely and regardless of a major power cut in Harrogate, the standard of service we received throughout was exceptional!!! The location is excellent and very central and we would definately use this hotel again. We ate in the bar at there was a party in the restaurant, but the food and service were excellent. THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front overlooking the park
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us and thankyou for you comments relating to the service you recieved , it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.