“Good Hotel, Friendly Staff, but a struggle to park”

The Yorkshire Hotel
Ranked #20 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 18 February 2012

This was my first stay at the Yorkshire Hotel and I will return again. Prior to booking and staying here I took the opportunity to read some other reviews here and I agree that the hotel may look like it is ageing, but nonetheless it is clean, tidy with pleasant and friendly staff.Parking is a gamble as there are limited parking spaces available to the hotel, which are located at the front. There are meter car parking bays on the main road.

Check-in was quick and easy and we occupied a family room on the 5th floor. The room was clean and tidy and there was a separate room with a converted sofa bed for our daughter. Free WiFi and easy to use TVs were welcomed. The down side to the room was it being very dark. The room didn't have any ceiling lamps in the bedroom area and the bed side lamps in the headboard didn't provide sufficient lighting to use the dress mirror located on the opposite wall. Drink making facilities were provided in the rooms but there was only enough to make a single cup of tea. However, reception were helpful enough and provided some more when we asked. For a family room it would be a 'nice touch' to add some drinking chocolate for the kids - but don't let that deter you from staying and it is only a minor point.

The impromptu fire alarm sounding at 7.15 ensured that we were not late for breakfast and gave us a chance to stretch our legs, walking down 5 floors to reception. The breakfast was excellent, offering plenty of choice such as; fruit, yoghurts, cereals and a full English provided on a self-service hotplate, together with choices of fruit juices, tea, coffee and toast.

With check-out being extended until 11am, it gave us with the chance to look around the variety shops on the doorstep, before loading up the car.

All in all, my family regarded the Yorkshire Hotel as a good place to stay with the rates we were offered and see no reason to stay there again in the future.

Room Tip: Higher placed rooms are quiter from the traffic noise that pass the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us despite the impromptu early morning call! I certainly note and appreciate note your comments about the tea and coffee making facilities.
The Hotel is very busy at the moment which is very pleasing and I am glad you felt looked after by the team during your stay.
I do hope you consider using The Yorkshire again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Nick Henry

Write a ReviewReviews (1,877)

Reviewed 18 February 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights over the weekend. The location was great, being right next to the shops and restaurants in the town centre. The room was on the 5th floor and at the front of the hotel, which I was happy about. I requested a view of the front due to the previous reviews about the noise from the bars at the back of the hotel. Being on the 5th floor was a bonus. The staff were very friendly, particularly with ones in the HG1 bar within the hotel. We only ate breakfast there, and it was good. A choice of cereals or grapefruit and juices. Then followed by a full English. Although do check the scrambled egg, it was powdered rubbish the first morning, that's what it tasted like. The room was nice and big and was adequately heated. The only negative was the shower, it clearly wasn't the right head for the holder and was a nightmare. Would I stay here again? Possibly. We stayed at the Old Swan Hotel last year. Although it is slightly further out, it was that bit better.

• Stayed: February 2012

I am now in receipt of your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. Thank you for your honest feedback, we offer a wide variety of room types and standard and we always try to offer the best value for money I am pleased that you received the room you requested.
Thank you for your kind comments relating to the team at the hotel I will certainly make sure they see your review.
It was disappointing to read that the room you were allocated had a problem with the shower head I will of course investigate this and have the problem rectified.
I do take on-board your comments relating to the scrambled egg received but wish to assure that powdered eggs have never been used and any changes in consistency can only be due to the particular chef having prepared them I am sorry if they were not to your liking.

Reviewed 17 February 2012

The Yorkshire Hotel, Harrogate was chosen by my wife and I for a two night stay incorporating Valentines evening and sight seeing in Harrogate. We had pre-booked and check-in was a breeze. The receptionist was extremely friendly, polite and knowledgeable as to the booking arrangements. Check-in was very speedy and the facilities were explained. We were allocated a room on the 4th floor, which had a wonderful view overlooking Bettys Tea Room and across Harrogate. The room was very clean with amenities you would expect. We had use of Internet Wi-Fi also, which was free. The bed was firm, but comfortable. The room was warm, but the window of both room and bathroom were dated sash type windows, which were draughty. The room was peaceful and the bedroom areas quiet.
The bar and restaurant offered a good choice, with reasonable prices.
The breakfast was excellent, offering fruit, yoghurts, cereals and a full English, together with fruit juices, tea and coffee.
The staff were extremely helpful, polite, professional and smartly dressed.
The hotel is ideally situated, within the centre of Harrogate and literally everything is within walking distance.
There is parking at the front of the hotel, but this is limited and we had to wait for a space to become available. Parking on street is £3.00 per 2 hours, but is free after 6pm to 0800am.
So, to sum up, this hotel is ideal for a stay and business in Harrogate. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay there again !!

Room Tip: Rooms facing Harrogate centre have good views across Harrogate and Yorkshire
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us, it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Reviewed 17 February 2012

This was my second stay at the Yorkshire and i will now make the hotel my main stay when i visit the town.The hotel is very welcoming and nothing is too much bother for them as the guest comes first.The bedroom was 1st rate and spotless and clean and the bed most importantly very comfortable and we didn't have one but 2 bathrooms! I visit Harrogate on a regular basis and usually pay nearly double the amount that i paid at the Yorkshire and it is incredible value for money.The hotel is also right in the centre of Harrogate and ideal for those of us wanting to shop as everything is on the doorstep with Bettys just over the road.We opted for room service and the home cooked ham sandwiches were to die for and beautifully presented and again the cost very good value for money.Whilst we were there i also noticed their excellent wedding package which i would look at if getting married again!
The hotel is suitable for everyone and i cannot recommend highly enough.

Room Tip: room 101 the room with 2 bathrooms!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christineclerey
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Stayed for three days at this lovely old building but with modern amenities. Staff very pleasant. Very good food and lovely restaurant. Good bar facilities. Two lifts to all floors. Very clean and comfortable except for the beds which were not comfortable. Coupled with that fact and that parking in the hotel reserved spaces is very restricted brings the rating down to four out of five.

Room Tip: Our room 415 overlooked the roads junctions and views across the Town
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Stayed here a few times with family and always guaranteed a warm welcome from the helpful and friendly staff at the hotel. The rooms are always clean and tidy and usually have a nice view of the town. The Yorkshire is in a great location, near to all the main shops with plenty of bars and restaurants to choose from. The breakfast is also recommended - all in all a top hotel - great value for money.

Reviewed 17 February 2012

I stayed here recently with a group. I liked it- a lot. The hotel is lovely in that the downstairs (public) rooms are full of style and character, but the bedrooms, whilst having style, do need updating. A sort of faded grandeur about them. However they were clean and I had no problems. It had everything I needed but a bit of updating for bedrooms and bathrooms would deal with this weaker area. Any drawbacks there were quickly outweighed by the customer service. The staff were friendly but professional, very well presented and they were so efficient and quick to respond. The staff we met were an asset to the hotel. Genuinely interested in making our stay as pleasant as possible. The location is excellent, short walk to train, opposite Betty's and near steam baths. Some friends with cars were unable to get in the car park- maybe alternative arrangements could be identified for this weakness? Anyway I will go back, so can recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends