“Great stay in Harrogate :-)”

The Yorkshire Hotel
Ranked #20 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Widnes, United Kingdom
“Great stay in Harrogate :-)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

We have just come home from a 2 night break at the Yorkshire Hotel. I was originally concerned after reading some of the reviews on Viewtrip as this short break was for our wedding anniversary. I must say, we had a fab time. The hotel is really nice, the staff are brilliant very friendly and can't do enough for you. Food was excellent, dinner in the restaurant was perfect and breakfast each morning was really good.
I would really recommend this hotel if you want a comfortable, friendly and central stay in Harrogate.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us. . I was pleased to read that you found the staff nice and friendly I am very fortunate to have such a great team.

Nick Henry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

The impression that you get from thie web site is of a traditional Victorian hotel that's bang up to date, but when you get there you realise that those photos must have been taken 15 years ago when it was all newly decorated or someone on the staff is particularly good with photoshop.

The reality is that this hotel needs some investment, the other reality is that the night before I stayed at a contemporary and very modern Hilton (down south) for about the same price.

Having said all that the staff are really friendly and the room that I had, although gloomy (what is it with brown carpets in rooms with small windows?) was absolutely massive - like a suite, but only one bedroom, but two bathrooms, strange because you could have made so much more of the space. The bed was old and tired, like the ones where the springs creak and poke into you every now and again, like the ones they have in cartoons! The fit and finish in the rooms definately comes from the "make do and mend" era, if they still transmitted 405-line TV from Holme Moss there would be one of these old box's in this room, however I was graced with two (yes two!) modern Toshiba LCD sets.

Breakfast was ok, nothing special but ok for a business trip, in summary the hotel is ok, (just) but it does need some serious investment, however the staff definately make up for the shortcomings in the fabric.

Room Tip: Another hotel I guess.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor. I must apologise that you felt the general standard of the hotel did not meet your expectations for which I am very sorry. I am also sorry that you felt the photographs on our site were misleading, having reviewed them I believe that the shots are still representative of our public areas and have not been changed by a photo editing programme admitably HG1 bars décor has since been updated from this photo 5 years ago. I certainly take on board your comments relating to our general decorations schemes as they do require some updating. It is worth noting that our present product is very much geared to a 3 star market and our pricing reflects this. I was pleased to read that you found the staff charming, I am very fortunate to have such a great team.
It is only through comments such as those you have made that we are able to improve our standard and service.
Thank you once again for your feedback
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2012 via mobile

All the staff, general manager, receptionists, catering and maintenance, all very welcoming and helpful making our stay a very satisfying one! Nothing a problem to them they went out of there way to make sure we enjoyed our time with them! John and Sheila McCarthy, Liverpool.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

The main entrance and the appearance from outside, set expectations that it just doesn't live up to. Rooms are ok but very run down and tired which pretty much sums up the whole hotel once you're out of the ground floor communal areas. The restaurant was pleasent although The food on the set menu was average at best and reminded me of supermarket microwave meals. Breakfast was a buffet style and the cooked breakfast was not that great but continental seemed alright. On the plus side, the location is great (as long as you don't need to park) and the views from the higher floors were pretty good. I don't think i'd choose to stay there again. If you do go for a higher floor to get a decent view then bare in mind the lifts are tiny and very slow.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. Thank you for your honest feedback, we do offer a wide variety of room types and standard and we always try to offer the best value for money. I am sorry you were unhappy with the general standard of the hotel I was also sorry to read that you felt that breakfast and dinner were both not to your satisfaction and I note your comments.
Thank you once again for your feedback.

Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012

Had a lovely time staying at this hotel. It has a great location and free parking at the front. The building is beautiful which is also reflected in the reception area. Rooms were excellent for the price and the bathroom was a decent size as well. All amenities were highly above standard, the room was very clean and free wifi! Cannot praise the staff enough, they were very polite with a great attitude which is sometimes hard to find. Would deffinately recommend :-)

1 Thank Poondash
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us. I do thank you for your comments relating to the team they are our very best asset.

England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

The Yorkshire hotel is in the centre of Harrogate overlooking the very famous (but highly overpriced) Betty's tea room. It is handy for everything in Harrogate. The hotel is very clean and very well run by a team who cannot do enough for their guest. The manager (Mr. Nick Henry) is very visible and can be seen in his managerial capacity and also clearing tables at breakfast. If you want something (within reason) just ask and if it's possible, it will be done. The breakfast was lovely, fresh, tasty and although buffet style, it's not rushed and there were no queues. Vegetarian options are also available. The bar is excellent and they have various special offers, depending on the time of day. Friday night is 2 for 1 night !

I would definitely go back to the this hotel but OH ! that name ! Why couldn't it be called the Lancashire Hotel (asks the born and bred Lancastrian) then it would have been perfect !

Room Tip: Ask for a front facing room, lovely views and larger.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor .
I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us. It is always great to read such a fantastic review. I do hope that potential guests read such reviews and make a balanced view of what a stay at the Yorkshire can be all about.
Thank you once again for your comments P.S I am sorry that the name change is out of my remit!

Ulverston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

HAD a great time two nights with evening meal got a bargin , every thing we wanted we had a great room 505 looking over harrogate,staff were good and friendley boys in restarant were great and food was very good great location would stay again