“Can't go far wrong”

Ranked #19 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Preston, United Kingdom
“Can't go far wrong”
Reviewed 16 July 2012 via mobile

Stayed here weekend just gone for my hen weekend. Was absolutely brilliant. Great location, very helpful staff, yummy breakfast. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2012
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2012
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us , it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Nick Henry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We recently had a function at rooftops at the Yorkshire hotel, admittedly the hotel on the surface looks a little tired in the public areas and I cannot comment on the rooms, but what I can say is that the service was fantastic. The hotel could not do enough to make our event fantastic, the view from the rooftop is great and the space was perfect for any event and the staff couldn't do enough, I would especially like to mention Emma the event manager who was most helpful.
The staff were very efficient,happy and friendly I would defiantly hold another event here.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your function with us. I do thank you for your comments relating to the team they are our very best asset and I will of course pass on your thanks.
I do hope you choose to hold your future functions with us as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel.

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2012

We got a got a good deal on the internet and after reading the reviews, had mixed feelings about the hotel. However after two very enjoyable days/nights, I can only summise that some people must expect that the hotel should be freshly decorated and newly furnished the day before they arrive.
The staff were very friendly and helpful, the decor was in-keeping with it's period and class, the food at breakfast and in the evening in the restaurant was above average and the rooms were very spacious, clean and well equipped. We stayed in room 504 which is on front with a great view, and even though we had the windows open all night, our sleep was not affected by road noise. If I had to be super critical, I was slightly disappointed in the shower. The water pressure was fairly weak (possibly because we were on the 5th floor) but it was hot enough and it served it's purpose.
The hotel has an enviable position in the town and my wife and I enjoyed every minute of our stay. We will be visiting Harrogate again and we wiil definitely look at booking into The Yorkshire Hotel as our first choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 4th or 5th floor on the front. but if you can only accept a powerful shower, a...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul E
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us. I do take on board your comment relating to shower pressure on the 5th floor and I agree due to the rooms location the pressure does tend to less powerful than the other areas in the hotel.
It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

knutsford
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Fantastic location and great value. Right in the centre of Harrogate and we paid £50 for a double room with views across the world famous Stray(and Betty's Tea and Coffee rooms).
The rooms are spotless and have everything you could require at this level of hotel.
The Receptionist, Staff and the General Manager could not have been more friendly and helpful and we will definitely return.
However the corridors and other "backstage" areas need attention and I'm not sure that we would have the breakfast again.
Perhaps the owners could do more to assist the staff and this is a Hotel capable of being more.

Room Tip: Ask Reception.They are very helpful and the first floor rooms have balconies.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank tony t
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that over all you had enjoyed your stay with us. It is always great to read a balanced view of the hotel, which I believe provides potential guests with a good idea of what a stay at the Yorkshire is all about.

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 13 July 2012

I was nicely surprised when I arrived to the hotel. A newly renovated lobby and very friendly service at the reception desk. Unfortunately that is the only good thing I can say about the hotel. As soon as I entered the elevator (very old and dirty), it became clear that the hotel was not going to live up the price I paid for my room. The hallways looked tired with stained carpets and very squeaky. 'Luckily' I had a room in the renovated part of the hotel. Renovated meaning newly painted walls in the room, the rest of the room (furniture, carpet, ...) was old and stained and need urgent replacement. The too small bathroom was a disgrace with a cheap shower and toilet and a bad smell. Although the shampoo/shower gell dispenser was empty, it was not replaced during the two days I stayed there. Since there was no proper hook to hang my towel on, I hanged it over the shower and it was still hanging at the same spot when I came back in the evening.

When they presented the breakfast to me at the reception, it sounded promising but the disappointment was big: the bread was limited to toast bread, only a bit of fruit available and egg/bacon/sausages... not worth the 10 GPB at all.

Unless I have to, I will not stay there again, I'm afraid.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Tom S
, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2012
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor. I must apologise that you felt the general standard of your room and hotel did not meet your expectations for which I am very sorry. You are quiet right we are currently working through a redecoration programme of all bedrooms and an external programme but this does include refurbishment of furniture etc so I am unsure of which room you were allocated?
With regard to the corridor carpets I make the same response as on previous reviews" on closer inspection there are a couple of minor marks which we are able to remove, however I can you assume that the stain that you refer to are in fact the herringbone design pile of the carpet which has become flatten immediately in the main walk ways so that when you look down the corridors the appearance of dark and light area are extremely apparent". I have had a corridor cleaned 2 months ago and unfortunately the effect remains the same.
I do thank you for your comments relating to the team they are our very best asset and they would have loved to have had the opportunity to resolve any short falls I am sorry we were not given the opportunity.
Once again thank you for your comments.

Nick Henry

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

alaska
Reviewed 12 July 2012

This hotel is in a great location for shops bars and restaurants.Car parking on site is free thats a bonus these days.All the staff where verry friendly and helpfull , our room was spotlesly clean and had everything you needed, we where at the front of the hotel but the noise from the road was not bad we slept like a log.The restaurant food was excelent and plenty of choice breakfast was self service and very nice. We will be going back soon.

Room Tip: our room 204 at the front was nice, balcony needed cleaning,
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank charleyfarleyAlaska
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us. The Hotel is very busy at the moment and I am glad you felt looked after during your stay and I am so pleased that you found the staff friendly and helpful.

Scotland
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Arrived at the hotel to find no one at reception; waited 5 minutes before someone turned up. Got into the room to find a double bed when I had booked a twin. They had no other twin rooms so we had to vacate the room whilst they turned it into a twin.
The bathroom was small and warn out; in need of modernisation. The room was far too hot and we hadn't put the heater on. All we could hear all night was loads of noisy drunk people walking up and down the street beside our window and dance music coming from a pub/club next door. We had to sleep with the window closed just to minimise the noise slightly so we were far too hot and had a terrible nights sleep.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family