“Ok for free” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
Newcastle, UK
“Ok for free”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2013

We stayed in room 414 Fri 8 Feb. I got this free with my Lufthansa miles so wasn't expecting the savoy. Hotel was easy to find with free parking at the door which was a bonus. Checking in was very easy and the friendly girl in reception allowed us to check in 2 hours early. The hotels communal areas are corridors are dated and dusty. The room itself was clean and had had a DIY refurb. There were signs of a flood from upstairs. We hadn't come to sit in a room so it was perfectly adequate. After a lovely afternoon in town we went back. The shower was poor pressure so we had a nice bath. We'd booked the hotel restaurant for dinner and after being ignored by the waiter we took our business elsewhere. Beds were ok but our plans of a good sleep and lie in we're shattered by the constant squeak of floorboards and noise from house keeping. Would have mentioned these issues but quite a large queue meant we just dropped the key and made a move. As I said. Value for money as we got it for free.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
I thank you for the time you have taken in writing your review on the tripadvisor website .I am sorry that your stay not an entire success for which I can only apologise. The problems you have experienced within the hotel, have been now been brought to my attention and where possible will be addressed.
I was shocked by your comment relating to the team member in the restaurant as we pride ourselves on the high level of customer service we offer, however we have tried to contact you several times to discuss the specifics but unfortunately to date we have been unsuccessful.

Nick Henry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
York,UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on 7-9th Feb.

The location is ideal, it's central to the shops, bars and restaurants. We arrived early evening on Thursday, and were able to park outside the front doors (free parking, remember to ask for a permit from reception). The building has lots of character, and looks a grand old building, it's just missing a doorman.

The receptionist was friendly, provided us a printed map of the area, and a wifi code for our iPads/iPhones (one code per device). Only one of the two lifts were working, but not a problem, except they are incredibly small (can fit 4 people with no luggage).

The corridors are wide and light, but every footstep can be heard with the creaky floorboards. Not a problem until bedtime, when each guest can be heard walking past.

Room 308 was ours, front of the hotel 3rd floor, overlooking Betty's tea room. The room was nice, flat screen TV, modern bedding, a large clean bathroom with shower and bath. The bed however, had an uncomfortable mattress, and it creaked uncontrollably, which had an impact on our nights sleep.

Night one was quiet (Thursday), night two was pretty busy with guess walking the corridor, and next door could be heard word for word through the thin walls.

We arrived for breakfast at 9, and was shown to our table. Breakfast was served Buffett style, with a small small selection of hot (sausage, bacon, egg, beans, mushroom, chips, tomato), cereal, toast, yogurt, croissant and fruit. The serving area was tiny, and wouldn't allow for more than 2 people to plate up at a time. The croissants were poor quality, but the hot food was 'ok'.

Staff throughout the hotel were friendly, including reception, restaurant staff and the 2 guys working the bar at HG1.

We picked this hotel as part of a free voucher, so it's hard to comment on value for money.

It's not a daytime hotel, ie, I wouldn't lounge around in the communal areas during the day (the bar and restaurant weren't open, so there's literally nothing to do). It's a place to crash at the end of a long day shopping, then finding a local restaurant to eat at on the evening.

Location location location

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 11 February 2013
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that overall you appear to have enjoyed your stay with us.
It was disappointing to read that the bed in the room allocated caused you a sleepless stay it is regrettable that your disappointment does not appear to have been highlighted or addressed by the Duty Manager visiting your room. I wish to assure you that if the Duty Manager had been made aware they would have endeavoured to provide an alternative room or at the very least rectify the problem.
I certainly take on board some of the other feed-back you have given thank you for providing a balance review of the Yorkshire.
Finally it always gives me great pleasure to read comments about the team as they are our greatest asset.
It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

stockport
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2013

hotel is in a lovely location and rooms were really nice and modern and clean but were freezing. There was no central heating just a small storage heater for the main bedroom which couldn't heat the room. floorboards were creaky so fairly noisy on the corridors, you could stand and rock on them.
good car parking on hotel front, but think you would need to get there early. would go again but in summer or bring my thermals

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank clena78
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I am sorry that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us. I wish to assure you that if the Duty Manager had been made aware of your dissatisfaction they would have endeavoured to provide an alternative room or provide additional heating or duvets I am sorry they did not get the opportunity to assist.
Once again thank you for your feed back.
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2013 via mobile

I have to say this hotel is average compared to others I have stayed in as it wouldn't be fair on the others. That said, I actually liked it. I requested a new room at the front and for a large room (two single beds pushed together) with a lovely view of Harrogate. Free car park is fantastic and the communal areas lovely.

One lift broken and they are so small that I think it should have been a priority for them to fix that over a busy weekend. Some other persons trousers left folded in our wardrobe and very noisy creaking beds and floors. However room was lovely and warm, which dont always get in old buildings and I liked that it was a grand old building.

As was out the day and night the price and location is excellent however wouldn't recommend as the type of hotel that you'd book to lie around in and enjoy. More a stop, drop and go in my opinion. Would return if in Harrogate for a similar visit

• Stayed March 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was plesaed to read that overall you had enjoyed your stay with us. Your honest feedback is welcomed , we do offer a wide variety of room types and standard and we always try to offer the best value for money.
It is unfortunate that some works on one of our lifts could not be actioned during your stay this unfortunatley will be out of action a little longer I wish to assure you that this is a priority but we are awaiting a part.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2013 via mobile

We stayed 2-4th February and were immediately disappointed to be given a tiny twin room to be told the beds could be zipped together or we could move. Needless to say we moved to a double room. Poor quality in regards to the mattress, linen an flat pillows. The furniture really needs to be replaced as the majority is badly scratched. We ate in the restaurant on the first night which was lovely and the service great. Buffet breakfast Sunday morning which was rather cold, disappointing as it would have been lovely otherwise. Plated breakfast Monday which was much better. Be careful when it comes to parking, there are only 30 spaces and whilst we arrived early enough to get a place, many struggled. One lift out of service which is a pain as with bags its a real struggle for two people to use it at once. Overall the staff and location cannot be faulted they are great, the only let down is the room which with a little tlc could really improve the hotel.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Laura B
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I am sorry the room you were allocated showed signs of wear and I admit some of our product is in need of updating and we are currently working through a redecoration programme. With regard to the bed you were first allocated this was a zip and link room which are an industry standard .
I was disappointed to read your comment in reference to the temperature of food at breakfast I will of course pass this on to the Heads of Department responsible for this area.
I have stated previously that we do only have limited car parking and is on a first come first served basis. It is however worth stating for other readers that there is no need to rush down at 8am to feed a meter as you can in fact purchase a ticket from the machines the evening before that starts from 8am. It is also worth noting that car parking on meter is free from 6pm on a Saturday night and all day Sunday.
On a positive note I was pleased to read that the service you received from the team was great.

Nick Henry

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

Bradford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

Stayed in this hotel friday 1st feb 2013 till sun 3rd. Firstly me and my boyfriend was given a twin room instead of a double rung reception who was very nice and changed this. Only one small lift working. Got to the 2nd room which was run down dressing table scratched and carved into, bed was 2 singles pushed together. In the bath was HAIR in the plug hole disgusting!!!...Breakfast we got given a table went for our food which there was a massive que at the smallest buffet ive ever seen, wasnt kept topped up hardly anything there to then find our table had been taken! its so un organised staff was run off there feet... I would not recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a nice weekend away, its trampy hallways smell and stained carpets. its just a old run down dump!!!

Only nice thing about the hotel was the staff!! friendly and happy to help.

Room Tip: Book somewere else!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Loum88
I thank you for the time you have taken in writing your review on the tripadvisor website .I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay for which I can only apologise I do understand that were very upset and hence your review. I believe that you have since spoken to the Operations Manager and I am pleased that you have reconsidered coming back to the hotel.
I look forward to welcoming you back to The Yorkshire on your next stay.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

we booked a groupon weekend,free parking outside,hotel in middle of Harrogate opposite Bettys room,food was very good for evening meal £34 for 2 three course meals, breakfast was good except for Sunday when the kitchen could not supply food fast enough for guests. room was average,but the beds needed new mattress's as the springs were pushing through. We would stay here again for the price and location,

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tony m
I thank you for the time you have taken in writing your review on the tripadvisor website .I am sorry that your stay not an entire success for which I can only apologise. It is only through comments such as those you have made that we are able to improve our standard and service.