“Average hotel good food”

The Yorkshire Hotel
Ranked #20 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
“Average hotel good food”
Reviewed 20 February 2013

We arrived at the hotel on valentines night and were given a room which I wouldn't have put my dog in !!! It was very poorly lit scratches and chunks out of the wardrobes and to top it off three lovely construction workers greeted me at my bedroom window! I quickly went to reception and asked to be changed as it wasn't acceptable that men would be working outside of my bedroom window! She told me to go back to my room and she'd let me know If she could change us. We got our room changed and it was much better we had daylight and a couch.... We opted for the valentines menu and the food was good not a great deal to choose from on this certain menu but that could be expected I suppose. Drink glass had lipstick all round edge but waiting staff were very friendly and very very well presented. Went to pay bill at end of our stay and they were trying to charge us twice for a room service we had had! Room tray service was an additional 2.50 as well which is abit extortionate. Overall I wouldn't return

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2013
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I am sorry the original room you were allocated showed signs of wear and I admit some of our product is in need of updating and we are currently working through a redecoration programme both internally and externally hence the workmen you describe. I am sorry for this less than ideal intrusion and I can only assume that the works that should have finished at 2.30pm prior to guest check in over ran and. I apologise for any inconvenience caused.
The valentines menu which you opted for was a set 4 course meal with champagne and gifts hence the lack of choice you describe. Clearly there was a clerical error with your bill and I am glad this was rectified by the team when highlighted.
On a positive note I was pleased to read that the service you received from the restaurant team was friendly.
I do hope that you choose to stay at the Yorkshire again.

Nick Henry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2013

We have stayed here before so we know what to expect. However i do feel a bit let down this time. The room was on the front of the hotel as I had asked for but it was further down the corridor and a bit smaller. I agree that the furniture is looking a bit sad in places.
We were on a dbb for 2 nights deal so we ate in the hotel both evenings. The food was excellent apart from the an issue with the soup. I asked on friday what the soup was and was told french onion, im not keen so gave that a miss. On sat evening I asked what the soup was and was told french onion.........now if i didnt want it on the friday evening I def didnt want it on the Saturday evening when i knew it was 2 days old :-(...................also the breakfast area is different to when we have been before. I found it very cramped, not as good in the selection of items offered and at one point as you go to the end of the counter it felt as if you were being backed in to the corner.

Maybe I will have to rethink the options if I return to Harrogate. maybe i will have to give another hotel a go, unless the Yorkshire improves, which is a shame cos you cannot fault its location. The reception staff and dining room staff were all very pleasant.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. Your honest feedback is welcomed and as you know from your previous stay we offer a wide variety of room types and standard and we always try to offer the best value for money. I am sorry that you were disappointed and let down by the room allocated on this occasion as It would seem we had tried to fulfil your request.
I have looked in to your comments relating to the soup of the day being the same on both the Friday and Saturday evenings and this is correct. Unfortunately the soup advertised on the Valentines Menu Friday was the same as the Soup chosen by the function on Saturday which then dictated the fresh made soup of the day. This was a less than ideal oversight on our behalf for which I apologise.
I was confused by your comments relating to breakfast. Having managed the property for over 2 years I can assure you that since your last visit the location of the breakfast buffet has remained the same and the selection and choice has increased in the last 6 weeks alone. I apologise that on this occasion it was not to your liking.
I was also disappointed to read that due to the issues highlighted on this trip you may have to rethink your future plans for staying at the Yorkshire. I would very much like to discuss the matter further if you could please contact me so I may have the opportunity to restore some faith.

Reviewed 18 February 2013

It's directly in the centre which is great although we got stuck in the one way system three times so look out for it carefully. Free parking which was great and reception girls were lovely too. The room was nice, if a little bit on the small side, two single beds pushed together which is a pet hate of mine as I always fall down the middle!! We didn't eat at the hotel however we did try two different white wines, both of which were not very nice :-( Other then the pillows being a bit flat and the bed a little uncomfy we enjoyed our stay but would probably stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for your honest feedback on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that you did enjoy some aspects of your stay with us.
I am sorry that some of our wine choices did not meet with your approval and I will certainly look in to your feedback. It is only through comments such as those you have made that we are able to improve our standard and service

I do hope that you change your mind and choose to stay at the Yorkshire in the future.

Reviewed 18 February 2013

My friend and I have just returned from our 1 night stay at the Yorkshire.
Firstly the location is fantastic and all the shops and restaurants are very close by. The famous tea room Betty's is across the road and really is a must visit.
The hotel staff were fantastic after there was a mixup with the room. A standard is apparently a single. They charged myself just £10 to change to a twin. The hotel was a little tired with uneven floorboards and very old carpet. The room was very nice and clean. The view wasn't anything special but that couldn't be helped.
I would definately stay at this hotel again as Harrogate was a perfect escape for a night. I must recommend the royal Turkish baths 5 minutes walk from the hotel.
Enjoy :)

Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us and I was extremely pleased to read you felt looked after by the team. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2013

my wife and i have just spent a lovely weekend at the yokshire hotel harrogate.we had a fantastic valentine meal on the friday night, for breakfast saturday and sunday there was a good selection of food, saturday night we stopped in the hotel and had room service,which was quickly brought to us,this meal was very very good.all the staff we met were brilliant,thak you for a lovely weekend

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website.
I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us; it is always great to read comments such as yours and gives a balance to some to the negative comments from other reviewers.
It always gives me great pleasure to read comments about the team as they are our greatest asset.

Sunny Scunny
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We visited Harrogate for a weekend get away and booked this hotel for our stay. Its a lovely hotel, very centrally placed and the staff are friendly and pleasant, very approachable. We had a room at the back, okay there was no view but the room itself was recently refurbished and more than adequate and although the en-suite was a bit small it was very clean and perfectly functiional. We booked the deal which included dinner on the first night, this was so good we also ate in the hotel on the second night. There are 35 on site parking spaces and we didn't have any trouble securing one of these. All in all a very pleasant stay, would definitely recommend this hotel and wouldn't hesitate to go back if we are ever in Harrogate again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2013

We stayed for 2 nights over Valentine's day using a voucher we were bought for Christmas. The hotel was easy to find and we had no problems parking at the front.

The reception area was clean and tidy and we had a pleasant welcome from the lady on reception. We were given room 413 and upon arriving on the 4th floor we found the appearance of the corridor a little shabby. As mentioned by other reviewers, the carpets were patchy with stains and there was a musty smell overpowered by strong paint.

The room had a lovely view however, some of the furniture was a little tired - water marks and chipped varnish on the tables/sideboards and shabby upholstery. The double bed was also two singles pushed together.

As this trip was intended as a Valentine's treat we decided to ask if it was possible to swap room. We were told that we could upgrade to another room for an extra £20. We did this and moved to room 502 which we found to be much better in terms of space and standard of the room.

We also booked in for the Valentine's meal at the hotel which was one of the best parts of the stay. The food was very nice and service excellent - on the whole very good value for money.

The hotel's location is right in the heart of Harrogate so shops, bars and restaurants are right on the doorstep. Breakfast was served until 9.30 and was the usual help yourself style buffet which was sufficient.

Taking all aspects into account I'd class the stay as good. There does seem to be a big difference in standards between different parts of the hotel, so if they could even this out it would be much better. A little more attention to detail on the cleaning would be good too. The overall cleanliness was fine, however, when doing the obligatory under bed check before leaving we did find some crusty tissues and empty loo roll tubes under the bed! (I bet if you look they are still there!)

We would probably book this hotel again if we returned to Harrogate based mainly on its location and if the price was right.

Room Tip: If you're not happy with the room ask to swap! Ask for the 5th floor
1 Thank 1484kathryn
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website.
I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed some aspects of your stay with us in particular your comments relating to the Valentines meal and service you received.
I do take on board your comments relating toyour room and as you have seen we are part way through an in house redecoration programme and hence the smell of paint on that corridor. I am sorry if this impacted on your stay, but we are trying to improve some of the areas you have described.
With regard to the corridor carpets I have previously stated on other reviews that yes some general wear is apparent. I can only assume that the stain that you refer to is in fact the herringbone design pile of the carpet which has become flatten immediately in the main walk ways so that when you look down the corridors there is an appearance of dark and light areas . I have however arranged for the corridor to be cleaned again this week based on the number of negative reviews recently. Unfortunately I would imagine that the effect will remain the same and will remain the same for the foreseeable future.
I am sorry that Housekeeping had not checked under your bed, having checked this area myself this morning the items were not visible so it is apparent they team are checking these areas unfortunately it was missed on this occasion thank you for highlighting this.
I do hope you choose to stay again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.