“Fine for one night, but could do with quite a lot of TLC”

The Yorkshire Hotel
Ranked #20 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 3 March 2013

The Yorkshire Hotel in Harrogate seemed pretty good from the outside, and the entrance hall was fine too. It was in a good location, very close to the station and to Betty's tearooms (but having said that, if you stay in any hotel in Harrogate, I don't see how you can be far from either of these points)! Once you braved the extremely rickety lift (or, after the first time, trudged up the stairs), it was clear that the hotel could do with a bit of love and attention. The hallways and the room were extremely dated and certainly didn't fill you with joy as you walked in. Everything seemed clean enough, and the shower was ok. If you don't plan to be in the hotel much, then it is fine, but I wouldn't go back if I visited Harrogate again. You could stay in a Premier Inn and expect a higher quality finish.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2013

I thank you for the time you have taken in writing your review on the tripadvisor website .I am sorry that your stay not an entire success for which I can only apologise. I admit some of our product is in need of updating and we are currently working through a redecoration programme.
It is only through comments such as those you have made that we are able to improve our standard and service.
Thank you once again for your feedback

Nick Henry

Write a ReviewReviews (1,900)

Reviewed 3 March 2013

We stayed at the Yorkshire on 1st and 2nd March. Despite concerns over parking in Harrogate we managed to secure a parking spot just outside the hotel. Staff were very friendly. We stayed in room 201 which was huge. More like a family room as a lounge with a a sofa that converted into a bed and two bathrooms as well as a large bedroom, Slightly let down by two single beds put together. Breakfast was included and self serve. A large vaiety of breakfast food available but this was situated outside the eating area, Food was not topped up and therefore ran out so needed properly organising. Only one toaster available so you had to queue. We were interested in checking out the cocktail bar that was advertised as being on floor 5 which opened at 6pm. When we got there it was closed and when we asked at reception were tolf that it was only open on special occasions so we were dis-appointed. Having said all of that it was in a great location and excellent value for money.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that overall you had a good stay with us. I am however sorry that you were disappointed and felt let down by the style of the bed you were allocated it was one of our zip and link suites this style of bed is a widely used standard allowing the flexibility of both a double and a twin and not simply two beds pushed together.
With regard breakfast we regularly topped up the buffet but on occasion items may run out momentarily due to high demand and will be filled again in the time it takes the server to walk to and from the kitchen.
Thank you for your comments relating to the public cocktail bar this is located in HG1 on the ground floor and is open from lunch times and serves cocktails all day and advertised as such. The 5th floor cocktail bar is only available for private hire sorry only I am sorry for any confusion caused.

I do hope that you choose to stay again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Reviewed 2 March 2013

We had the most beautiful dinner on 15th February - the food, service and presentation were superb and we had a wonderful romantic stay at the hotel . The room was gorgeous and we had a truly unforgettable Valentine's 2013. Many thanks to all at the Yorkshire! We will be back!!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2013

Thank you so much for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read how much you had enjoyed your Valentines break with . In particular how much you had enjoyed dining experience and I was extremely pleased to read that you felt looked after by the team they are our very best asset.

Reviewed 28 February 2013

We booked a mid week break and were very happy with the Yorkshire Hotel, the location is right in the centre with the famous betty's tea rooms opposite. The hotel staff were all very freindly and nothing was too much trouble, we took an upgrade for our room which was very spacious and on the front overlooking the park. Breakfast was a buffet style full english and our evening meal in the brasserie was fantastic, the staff were brill and cannot be praised enough. On a visit you should consider a visit to the turkish baths tuesday and wednesday mornings are mixed sessions which are discounted it is terrific value with a steam room 3 hot rooms aplunge pool etc weel worth a visit. Harrogate is a beautifull town and the Yorkshire is a good base. well done the Yorkshire ,thankyou.

Room Tip: A great central location, ask for an upgrade they have 9 upgrade rooms on the front. They have 35 ca...
2  Thank joc1634

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that you had a great stay with us. In particular how much you had enjoyed dining experience and I was extremely pleased to read that you felt looked after by the team they are our very best asset.

Reviewed 27 February 2013

My wife and I chose to visit Harrogate for a couple of nights away from home, as years ago we used to visit for occaisional shopping trips when stationed at RAF Leeming. We were made to feel most welcome on arrival. Our room on the Fourth floor, with a view including Betty's Tea Room and the Stray, was clean, warm and spacious. We had booked a 3 course dinner on our first night and this was tasty, well presented and filling. The Yorkshire Hotel is in a prime location for all the main attractions in Harrogate and most are within a 10 minute walk. The RHS gardens at Harlow Carr can be reached by bus from a stop just a couple of minutes walk away. If you are a real ale fan, then reference to the Good Beer Guide will reveal that 5 out of 6 pubs featured for Harrogate are again within 10 minutes walk. We found the hotel to be a friendly place to visit as is Harrogate, but then again it is in Yorkshire and we would have been disappointed if it wasn't.

Room Tip: If you want a good view then the front is a must but the higher floors will be less susceptible to t...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us.
It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Reviewed 26 February 2013 via mobile

Hotel is in a great location but windows need replaced as well as heating system . Even in the modern bar there was a gale blowing through the windows. The food was good and the service was too but much better to visit in the summer.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank MoggyGla

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that overall you had a great stay with us and how much you had enjoyed dining experience and that you felt looked after by the team. I am sorry that you found the hotel cold unfortunately we are unable to change our windows due to the buildings status.
I do hope that this will not deter you from visiting again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Reviewed 25 February 2013

We arrived at the Yorkshire Hotel for a two day belated Valentines Break, My Husband and I choose it for it's central location, which is excellent very near to all the wonderful shops Harrogate has to offer, Bettys, Turkish Baths. When we arrived we could not park because there were no car parking spaces, and we told to use the multi storey car park, which we had to pay for, my husband went to find the carpark, whilst I stuggled with the bags, after checking in, I went in the lift, which got stuck twice, and we ended up on the lower floor where the staff are, the Headhouse keeper had to force the doors open with her hands, then I had to struggle up all the steps with the luggage, I am not a fan of lifts, and it induced a panic attack, this throughout our two day stay, was a regular occurence, The hotel room 204, was nice with a nice view over the Stray, none of the usual mini, shower gels,and shampoos that you normally get, but there were coffee and tea making facilites. The food in the hotel was lovely, we had an excellent 3 course meal on our first night which was included in the deal with excellent service from Simon, so much so we decided to eat there a second night, even though the chef was the same one, my steak had to go back twice, i asked for it medium to well done, and the first two times, it came out rare with quite a lot of blood which I couldn't eat, it was a shame, because it meant my husband ate on his own, and by the time mine had come out for the third time, i was eating on my own, not very romantic., The one thing I was dissapointed about was the bed it was very, very uncomfortable, and every time you turned over the headboard banged against the wall and woke you up, and you could feel the springs and hear the spring pinging in the bed, it needs either a new mattress or a complete new bed, so neither of us slept that well, but overall a nice break

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

I thank you for the time you have taken in writing your review on the tripadvisor website .I am sorry that your stay not an entire success for which I can only apologise. The problems you have experienced within the hotel, have been now been brought to my attention and where possible will be addressed.
It was however great to speak with you personally today and discuss your comments and to hear how much you had enjoyed the service provided by certain team members.
I do hope that you decide to return for your Birthday later this year as I would very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.