“Very tired hotel in need of substatial renovation”

The Yorkshire Hotel
Ranked #21 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 17 March 2013

First, the positives: the staff were fantastic, the location is excellent, the car park is free, the hotel looks nice from the outside. After this I'm struggling to say anything else positive. This hotel is in need of substantial renovation as a matter of urgency: the public areas are reasonable, but our bedroom was awful (peeling wallpaper; dark even in the middle of the day with the light on; very creaky floorboards to the extent that we could hear the occupants of the room above us whenever they walked around; clear glass in the bathroom window so that we had to keep the - water damaged - blind shut when we used the bathroom; the room was heated by one very old electric radiator; we couldn't read at night as the lights were so dim; our room looked out onto the chimneys and extractor fans for the kitchen which were very noisy and in almost constant use; the corridors leading to the bedrooms were very dated; the one lift that did work was very old. My overiding impression is that this was once a very grand hotel that has seen better days - essentially it is far too big and the amount of money needing spent on it (not just a lick of paint, but the bedrooms and bathrooms need to be completly gutted, new floors need to be installed etc.) is so substantial that I suspect the hotel could never afford it. I notice that the general manager replies to most of the reviews and has on occasion said that if people ask to be moved they will. but my question is what on earth are you doing renting out such dowdy rooms in the first place - we paid £120 for one night and expect much more than this for that sort of money - you really ought to hang your heads in shame. Freinds of ours stayed the same night and thier view was pretty much well the same as ours.

1  Thank PAW72
yorkshiregm, Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

I thank you for the time you have taken in writing your review on the Tripadvisor website. I am sorry that your stay was not a success, for which I can only apologise. First of all in response to your positive comments; I thank you for highlighting the fact that the service you received was fantastic. I am extremely proud of the team at the Yorkshire and for the level of service they provide despite any shortfalls in our product. I am sorry the room you were allocated showed signs of wear and I admit some of our product is in need of updating and we are currently working through a redecoration programme, I am sorry that in your opinion this is not sufficient. We do offer a wide variety of room types and standard and we always try to offer the best value for money for our property based on our location, facilities and availability.
Reviews are in themselves subjective and therefore one guest’s perception of value, service etc can somewhat vary, as highlighted in contrasting reviews during the same period of your stay a “lovely stay” and “Lovely room and great value break.” It is always disappointing to read that someone has not enjoyed their stay for which I am genuinely sorry. It therefore would have been great to have received your view first hand. Unfortunately you chose not to provide any feedback on departure. However if you would like to contact me to discuss your comments further I would be more than happy to do so.
It is only through comments such as those you have made that we are able to improve our standard.
Thank you once again for your feedback

Reviewed 17 March 2013

We were attending the Fawlty Towers dinner show here, so decided to stay in same hotel overnight. The hotel does only have 30 car spaces and are on a first come first served basis but we arrived on Sat afternoon and had no problem getting a space. We were met at reception by Katie (I am almost sure that was her name) who was really friendly and great at her job. She recommended places to eat and was really helpful with a request I had. All the staff were courteous, the room we had was at the back but unlike other reviewers it was very quite, it was on the top floor and had a sitting room section, with two tvs and everything you could want (if i was to nitpick there was no toilet brush, but not the end of the world). The breakfast is a serve yourself buffet all very good just scrambled egg on the buffet but fried or boiled can be ordered as you are seated. The hotel did not seem tired to me as a lot of areas seemed to have been revamped the location for the center is perfect, we had a lovely stay and would definitely go back and stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your frank and honest opinions.
It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Reviewed 17 March 2013

We had a great deal at the Yorkshire Hotel and thoroughly enjoyed our break. Lovely large room at the front of the hotel with a great view across the park and the town. Staff friendly and welcoming. The hotel is a bit quirky and creaky in places, but we think that is part of the charm. And the hotel is so central for the lovely shops, attractions and Betty's tea-room just across the square. We had no problem parking, in fact, one of the reception girls moved her car to let us have one of the hotel's spaces.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel, lovely view over town.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2013

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that overall you had a greatstay with us and how much you had enjoyed dining experience and that you felt looked after by the team.
I do hope that this will not deter you from visiting again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Reviewed 15 March 2013

At first it looked as though we couldn't get parked outside the hotel but on enquiry a very friendly receptionist came to our aid. The room was clean and spacious and afforded a good view of a parade of trees decked with fairy lights in the evening which was delightful.You can not visit Harrogate without at least one walk round the Stray so we did that then walked through Valley Gardens to Harlow Carr - that was also a pleasant little walk.At breakfast a young lady was run off her feet as everyone seemed to arrive at once but she coped admirably. The evening meals were delicious and our waiter was friendly and amusing.We greatly enjoyed our stay and would not hesistate to return

Room Tip: Room on the 3rd floor facing the front of the hotel was extremely quiet
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website.
I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us; it is always great to read comments such as yours and hopefully dispels some of the negative comments we receive.
It always gives me great pleasure to read comments about the team as they are our greatest asset
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

Great location and a grand old hotel.The communal areas are tastefully decorated, the Hg1 bar and dining room both excellent. Staff were superb - every single one was welcoming and helpful. The dinner we enjoyed in the restaurant was superb. Would highly recommend this hotel. We got two nights bed and breakfast with dinner on first night for £130 which is pretty unbeatable. Of course, that meant there had to be a catch and that was that the corridors and rooms were exceptionally creaky and the rooms were tired and in need of renovation. We also were rudely awoken at 2.30 am by the two ignorant guests in the room above us who made such a racket I had to call reception who, to their credit, sorted it out. Not the hotels fault of course. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website.
I was delighted to read that overall you had enjoyed your stay with us in particular your comments relating to the team .
I take on board your comments relating to the quaility of some rooms and we are in fact part way through an in house redecoration programme.
I do hope you choose to stay again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Reviewed 10 March 2013

I stayed at this hotel on Wednesday 6th March 2013 and Thursday 7th March 2013 as I was attending the Elex Show in Harrogate. I had left the hire van at the Elex show and was with a colleague. The reception was very impressive and the staff very helpful and polite. Please be aware that the hotel has only 30 parking places at the front of the hotel which are allocated for guest use. This can be a first come first served issue and parking elsewhere is on the street where you can find parking spaces. The hotel is situated close to the centre of Harrogate and is in easy walking for the shopping areas. The room had been booked for me and was on a best available price (fully flexible) room only basis. It was a single room and the price charged was £49.00 with a contintental breakfast of £5.00. The room was not overly large but was adequate and there was an ensuite with a good shower in the bath. It had tea making facilities and free wifi. I did find that noise from outside in the street to be intrusive as I was disturbed by party people and drunks walking past in the street below. The room had single galzing and a casement sash type window. Also a lorry stopped outside at 6am and left the engine running for half an hour while the driver shouted in conversation to someone else. The hotel itself is very nice and is very ornate. The ceilings and stairs are very impressive as is the helpfulness of the staff. When I found that the remote control did not work in the room they had it fixed very quickly. The breakfast was very nice and all in all this is a good value hotel.

Room Tip: If possible choose a room which is furtherest away from the pedestrian area on the side of the hotel...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Rex T
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2013

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that you had a great stay with us.I am however sorry that you were disturbed by noise from the street it is unfortunate that our location is one of our greatest or worst assets depending to your point of view. I am extremely pleased you felt looked after by the team.
I do hope you consider using The Yorkshire again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Reviewed 9 March 2013

Room 212 not a good view, couldnt sleep with window open,as the fans were outside window. Lights were very dim in room, and bathroom, and the noise of somebody walking in the room above was terrible they might aswell been in our room. On booking the room i did ask for a front facing room as i had looked at reviews on trip advisor so i would of thought we would have got a better room. Breakfast bar needs reorganising and no fried eggs only scrambled, It was in a great location and we did managed to get parked outside front of hotel, i would stay again but would wish for a better room

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments on the tripadvisor website. We offer a wide variety of room types and standard and we always try to offer the best value for money. We do try and honour most requests but as less than 30% of the bedrooms are front facing it is not always possible. After an investigation with my Duty Management team it is regrettable that your disappointment does not appear to have been highlighted or addressed by the Duty Manager visiting your room. I wish to assure you that if the Duty Manager had been made aware they would have endeavoured to provide an alternative room.
I also note your comments relating to breakfast we offer any egg types on request as stated on the table menu scrambled eggs are simply the option on the hot buffet.
It is only through comments such as those you have made that we are able to improve our standard and service.
Thank you once again for your feedback