“great value, right in town centre, helpful staff, easy stay will return”

The Yorkshire Hotel
Ranked #19 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
london
“great value, right in town centre, helpful staff, easy stay will return”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

as per the title very happy with my stay for the price I paid on their advance rate.

You can park outside, the rooms although a little tired (and with a dark gold wallpaper which wouldnt be to everyones taste) were clean and quiet, with fast wi fi and hot water in the showers.

The location is right in town centre, 30 seconds from the high street and 2 mins from the conference centre.

so many harrogate hotels overcharge ridiculously when a conference is on, this place has kept it sensible, and I will return next year

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank thestonefamily
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Nick Henry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2013

This was a two day stay via easy breaks.
Ok, the hotel is a little tired in places but this is more than made up for by the staff who are efficient and friendly and the fact that hotel is very clean. We got a really good room on the 3rd floor at the front overlooking the parks and the Harrogate skyline.
We had dinner in the hotel restaurant, HG1, and the menu didn't change on the two nights we were there but there were plenty things on it, service was very prompt but never pressured and the food was excellent.

Room Tip: Try and get a room at the front
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that overall you had a great stay with us and how much you had enjoyed dining experience and that you felt looked after by the team. I certainly take on board some of the other feed-back you have given thank you for providing a balance review of the Yorkshire.

Reviewed 13 May 2013

My mum and I stayed at The Yorkshire Hotel for two nights recently using a buyagift voucher. We were not disappointed. The staff were excellent from start to finish ,we asked for a twin room on a low floor as my mum has limited mobility and were given exactly what we asked for. The added bonus..we had a lovely view of the gardens below and Betty's tea rooms.
The breakfast was good, one small criticism ,I dislike having to toast the bread myself,it is so much nicer to have the toast brought to the table and it can't take that much time to do.
The location of the hotel is excellent , the shops and restaurants are a stone's throw away.
We really enjoyed our stay and would definitely return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Cheshiremaid
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website.
I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us; it is always great to read comments such as yours. As always It always gives me great pleasure to read comments about the team as they are our greatest asset

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I had never spent time in the Yorkshire Dales so we decided to visit there and stay in Harrogate.
We chose the Yorkshire by pot luck and lucky we were . I normally avoid city centre hotels because of car parking problems but the Yorkshire was great with on street parking right outside the door, Located near the shops, 50yards from the famous Bettys and overlooking gardens its a great location.
Its an old Victorian hotel that's been constantly upgraded and the en suite rooms are comfortable if not great. There is good buffet breakfast and polite staff,. Overall a nice comfortable Hotel . My only real criticism was the lifts. They are obviously an add on and they are tiny and claustrophobic.
I would recommend the Hotel and stay there again

Room Tip: I think they are all the same with nice outlooks.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that overall you had a great stay and how much you had enjoyed breakfast and that you felt looked after by the team. I certainly take on board some of the other feed-back you have given and I thank you for providing a balance review of the Yorkshire.

Leicester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Got the 2 night stay bed and breakfast through buy a gift and decided to go for the boyfriend's birthday. And although I had a few reservations about going to this hotel for such a cheap price - I needn't have worried!

I did think it were a bit strange I had to book through an 0844 number, but everyone I spoke to on the phone was really polite and helpful.
I had rang the hotel the day before to ask if we could check out a little later as it was the day of the birthday, and I spoke to Katie, who was really friendly and so helpful - turns out we could check out at 12pm no problem!

We arrived Sunday afternoon, and as suspected there were no parking places out front - not a problem as we found a public parking bay not a few hundred yards away. Checked in, and the lady at the desk was polite and really helpful about the parking - she even repeated the entire spiel even though having just said it all to the couple before of us (and we were clearly eavesdropping!). In the end the parking was not a problem as we managed to get a space out front first thing in the morning.

One slight problem was only one lift was working, the very tiny one. Not a problem for us, but we could see some of the others staying had a few problems with the size and the not so comforting lurch as it reached your designated floor.

We stayed on the 4th floor on the front of the hotel, giving us beautiful view of the gardens in front. Bedroom was absolutely fine, bed was comfortable – yes a tiny bit dated as others had said but it served its function. After all, you don’t go to Harrogate to sit in the hotel room! Room and bathroom were very clean as well. Clean towels and tea and coffee sachets were replaced daily.

We had a drink in the hotel bar the first evening, the prices were very reasonable and the wine was lovely. We did feel like we were the youngest people there by far except some of the staff - but this was hardly a problem - all the guests were really friendly and chatty!

Next morning, we went down for breakfast – a buffet style breakfast which was tasty. It got quite busy the first morning not that long after we sat down; I think a few people had to wait a little while in the foyer. But the management seemed to deal with it really well and in fact the next day decided to hold breakfast for longer to ensure there wasn’t such a long wait. I thought this was a nice touch!
That day we explored Harrogate, the location of this hotel was perfect! Everywhere we wanted to visit was within walking distance. Came back in the afternoon and found there was a water problem; again it wasn’t an issue for us as we were out all day, but I suppose it could have been a problem to others.

Final morning, checked out without a hitch. We will most definitely visit again, well worth the price I paid to go!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that overall you had a great stay with us and how much you had enjoyed your breakfast and that you felt looked after by the team. I certainly take on board some of the other feed-back you have given and thank you for providing a balance review of the Yorkshire. I am sorry that the issue relating to the hot water was not resolved sooner but rest assured a new pump has now been fitted so the likelihood of this occurring again is minimal.
I look forward to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Hull, England
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Excellent location in central Harrogate but limited car parking at front with very tight spaces. If you do manage to get a space then value it with your life.

Lobby and reception area are clean and modern with pleasant staff.

Tiniest lift in the world and made worse by the fact that one of two lifts was not working. If you have a baby like us, be aware that the lift does not fit an average sized pram let alone people and luggage. 5 trips up and down the lift before we got all our luggage in the room.

We had a suite on the top floor which was very nice and had a separate living room with a tv. The bedroom was clean and tidy but quite dark and I think they could do with brightening up a touch. The bathroom was very clean and relatively modern but the shower was dreadful with pitiful water pressure. Overall it was very quiet up there and we all slept well.

Breakfast was buffet style and was good.

My wife had room service which was prompt and she said her meal was very good.

The bar which is attached to the hotel is modern and reasonably priced with pleasant staff

I have dropped a few marks for this hotel because I did view a few other rooms which my friends were staying in and one of the single rooms was very poor indeed. Tiny and claustrophobic and it had certainly seen better days. The issue with the lift and car parking was also problematic.

Would I stay here again? Not sure to be honest but you cannot get a better location

Room Tip: The suites didnt cost that much more and they provide you with larger room with better amenities tha...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I am sorry that your stay was not a entire success, for which I can only apologise. I certainly take on board some of the other feed-back you have given.
With regard to the lift I had hoped this would have been in full working order prior to the Bank Holiday unfortunately the repair has taken rather longer than I would have liked please accept my apology for the inconvenience this caused you and your family .
I was disappointed to read that you felt your friends rooms were not to standard, I admit some of our product is in need of updating and we are currently working through a redecoration programme. It is worth noting that we do offer a wide variety of room types and standard and we always try to offer the best value for money based on availability. Our single rooms are very much a budget offering and therefore reflected in the price.
I am however pleased to read that you had enjoyed your dining experiences and that you felt looked after by the team.
It is only through comments such as yours that we are able to improve our standards and service. I do hope you choose to stay at the Yorkshire in the future as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back.

Lincolnshire england
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Me and a friend went for a two night break away, on a living social deal and what a bargain it turned out to be! The staff were really friendly and helpful. The hotel and room was lovely, the only downfall was the shower it was pretty old and difficult to work. The food was amazing, tip try the slow roasted belly pork it was lovely! If you are looking for a hotel with a great central location then this is the hotel for you! Harrogate is a wonderful place for shopping and the people were really friendly everywhere you went. I will definetly be going back again!! Ps Betty's tea rooms is a must!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that overall you had a great stay with us and how much you had enjoyed dining experience the belly pork is a great dish.It was also great to read and that you felt looked after by the team and found them friendly and helpful. I certainly take on board some of the other feed-back you have given and thank you for providing a balance review of the Yorkshire.