“Dirty and dated”

The Yorkshire Hotel
Ranked #20 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
“Dirty and dated”
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

I spent two nights here on business on the first night I didnt get a wink on sleep the room was tiny cold and filthy
When I opened the curtains in the morning the view was of three large extractor fans hence why I couldnt sleep
I have never complained in my life but asked if I could change rooms as of the noise and I thought things couldnt get any worse tge receptionist was very helpful and changed my room
To my horror this room was dirtier the bed was lumpy smelt dirty
I went and bought some cleaning products and cleaned the room
The bath took 2 hours to empty
I travel all over the country and take regular weekend breaks and I have never been anywhere as disgusting in my life !!!!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Caazem
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
I thank you for the time you have taken in writing your review on the tripadvisor website. I am sorry that your stay was not a success. I am sorry that you were unhappy with the room you were allocated. We are a hotel in the 3 Star price range we offer a wide variety of room types including singles, standard doubles, execs , suites, rooms with lounges etc. and we always try to offer the best value for money. It is regrettable that the full extents of your disappointment or comments do not appear to have been highlighted at any time to the team. The only feedback given was regarding the noise and as you state reception offered you a room move which I understand you accepted. Quite frankly if the room you describe was found by a guest I would have been appalled and expected nothing less of someone to have reported this, but was not the case. I wish to assure you that if the Duty Manager had been made aware they would have endeavoured to provide an alternative room or at the very least rectify the problem. It is only through comments such as those you have made that we are able to improve our standard and service.

Nick Henry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
Blackpool
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Had a nice 2 night stay here, parking is a bit of a pain and we had to drive round a couple of times before getting a space.
Room was quite nice but a bit dated. Slight complaint that we had to have cold showers on Saturday morning as the hot water wasnt working. Also there was a wedding on the top floor on Saturday evening with really loud music til midnight so our room was shaking!
Can't fault the staff, they were very friendly and worked hard at breakfast.
Location was perfect, across the road from Betty's and round the corner from the high street.
Overall we enjoyed our stay :)

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Thank you for your recent comments on booking.com. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed many aspects of your stay with us. I was sorry to read that you had an issue with the hot water I will of course pick this up with my maintenance team. I was also sorry to read that you were disturbed by noise from the wedding we do always try to keep this to a minimum clearly on this occasion it was not. I was however extremely pleased to read that you felt looked after by the team they are our very best asset.
I do hope that issue with the noise and hot water does not deter you from visiting again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Cheshire
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We booked this hotel for a 2 night get away (me, my partner and our 9 month old daughter). We took our own travel cot and fully expected to have to be quiet so our little one could sleep, but from the squeaking floor boards and bed and the banging scaffolding outside the window, it was almost impossible!! Also agree with the post below about the stairs, it was extremely difficult to carry a pram up and down, there should definitely be a ramp of some sort for the main entrance!! Parking was not an issue for us as we got there at approx. midday and found a space straight away, we then just didn't move the car and got the train into York (train station is just round the corner). Breakfast was very nice and the staff friendly, but unfortunately this hotel is majorly let down by its extremely dated and unclean appearance!! If you are simply looking for somewhere to sleep, this may well be the place for you (if you don't mind the sore back in the morning from the lumpy mattress).

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
I thank you for the time you have taken in writing your review on the tripadvisor website. I am sorry that your stay was not a success, for which I can only apologise. I was disappointed to read that you felt let down by the hotel. I admit some of our product is in need of updating but we always endeavour to keep it clean and I am sorry you felt otherwise. With regard to the entrance and its steps, it is unfortunate that the building was designed over 100 years ago and they did not anticipate the need for access, however we do have a ramp in Hg1 bar at the rear of the building and we advertise this as our accessible ground floor entrance.

Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Great location, right in middle of restaurant area and shops.So easy to pop in and out. Parking very limited. One bad point is the fact that there is a very long flight of steps up to reception. Once booked in it is possible to enter hotel via its bar ,with entrance in small ( no vehicles ) street round corner. Not much help though when booking in for first time. Staff very friendly, but hotel rooms sadly in need of full makeovers.Fine if you just want somewhere very central to sleep, would not want to spend much time in bedroom, although to be fair we had great view over the park, and Bettys, and for a town centre room it was amazingly quiet.We were on a 2 night deal but would not want to pay full price!

Room Tip: Ask for park view.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
I thank you for the time you have taken in writing your review on the tripadvisor website. I am sorry that your stay was not a success, for which I can only apologise. With regard to the entrance and its steps, it is unfortunate that the building was designed over 100 years ago and they did not anticipate the need for access, however we do have a ramp in Hg1 bar at the rear of the building and we advertise this as our accessible ground floor entrance. The street that this entrance is on is accessible by car for drop off and can be then used throughout your stay. I was extremely pleased to read that you felt the team were friendly they are our very best asset.

stockport
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

Before I travel anywhere, I looked at all the comments on trip advisor for this hotel. After staying here, I think some people have been pretty harsh. I'm quite a fussy person when it comes to where I stay. I stayed here for 2 nights midweek with my mum This is a grand old building. The reception and lounge area are really nice. Nice decor. Restaurant and bar area very nice too. The staff were great, nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast was plentiful, hot and tasty. A selection of cereals, croissants, toast, fruit, yoghurts and a full English.
Our room was clean and spacious. The furniture was quite tired though. Nice flat screen TV.
Small wall heater on the wall and the lovely thick curtains blocked the draft. Nice view from the window. The wifi just didn't happen and I gave up after a while. Overall a good stay and would definitely stay again

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank ABWStockport
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyed the service during your stay and that you felt looked after by the team. I appreciate your incite into the property and I thank you for providing some balance and understanding in your review of the Yorkshire.
It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Ashby De La Zouch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2013

My wife and I enjoyed our 2 night stay. The staff were courteous and helpful. Although a little shabby in places, the décor was tasteful. The room wasn't huge, but was comfortable, and had a great view; the en-suite was large enough, and the shower over the bath was adequate. Although using the breakfast buffet was a little tiresome, the food was excellent. We arrived early enough to benefit from one of the limited number of parking spaces. The location is ideal for exploring Harrogate on foot. We have stayed here before and would do so again.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front have great views. Some of the rooms at the back seem a little larger.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank goingplaces52
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that overall you had a good stay again and that you felt looked after by the team. I certainly take on board regarding the buffet service and I thank you for providing a balance review of the Yorkshire. I do hope that you visit again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel.

Bolton
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We had a great view of Bettys Tearooms from our room on the front. Ideally situated in Harrogate on the one way system within walking distance of the shops and the historic section. The breakfast was great with lots of choice. There is also a lovely bar area with very pleasant staff for the evenings We enjoyed our 2 days stay at the hotel and would recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for one on the front with great views of the Stray.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyed the service during your stay and that you felt looked after by the team. I appreciate your views of the property and I thank you for providing some balance and understanding in your review of the Yorkshire.
I do hope you choose to stay again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.