“Content good but packaging disappointing” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Yorkshire Hotel

The Yorkshire Hotel
Ranked #21 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
Halstead, United Kingdom
“Content good but packaging disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

We stayed here last week for two nights and were comfortable .. The staff were on the ball and efficient and the food was fine, but the surroundings were dull... The hotel is in need of a good refurb ... The rooms were shabby and carpets grubby and need at least a good clean if not replacing ... Wouldn't really want to stay again unless as a last resort ..

• 4 of 5 bubbles
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. Your honest feedback is certainly welcomed and we offer a wide variety of room types and standard and we always try to offer the best value for money. I admit some of our product is in need of updating and we are continuing to work through a redecoration programme. I was happy to read that you had enjoyed the service received from the team and I thank you for comments relating to their efficiency.

I do hope that you reconsider your decision and give the hotel the chance to welcoming you back.

Nick Henry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
Derby
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

Just returned from a long weekend in Harrogate staying at the Yorkshire Hotel. The position of the hotel is superb being a stones throw away from Betty's and we were fortunate to drop into a parking spot in front of the hotel. The staff were always friendly, the price very reasonable, and the breakfast just adequate but why an awful coffee machine and why have the food service trollies outside the dining room entrance at the bottom of the main staircase. More importantly in my opinion the hotel is worn out and requires a major overhaul which is not just a lick of paint as the bedroom and bathroom furniture was in poor condition, the doors damaged the carpets worn. Such a shame to see a wonderful building in decline but all is not lost and I hope the owners can turn it around as this should be a premier hotel and not one with the front façade covered with advertising banners especially one for Faulty Towers

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Alan D
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
I thank you for the time you have taken in writing your review on the Tripadvisor website. I am sorry that your stay was not an entire success, for which I can only apologise.We are very much a 3 star property and not a luxury hotel we always try to offer the best value for money based on availability. I admit some of our product is in need of updating and we are currently working through a redecoration programme I am sorry that in your opinion this is not sufficient.
I note your comments relating to breakfast and I am sorry you were unhappy with the layout of our buffet area. Whilst not ideal due to the volume of seating required at breakfast we dont have another practical location.
I was pleased to read that despite any shortfalls with the product you found the service received by the team to be friendly.
It is only through comments such as those you have made that we are able to improve our standard and service.
Thank you once again for your feedback.

U.K.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed for one night, a Saturday mid November. On a very good dbb rate booked via an agent.
Parking was a bit of a nightmare and had to do a bit of waiting and moving around before we eventually got in however we got checked in really quickly and earlier than our expected 2pm slot. The room was ok, lovely veiw but as other reviewers have stated it was a bit tired and run down in places.
Harrogates lovely. Like a cross between York and Durham with lots to do, loads of nightlife and some fantastic places to eat.
The evening meal in the hotel was really nice considering the price we paid and the breakfast was lovely too.
Staff were friendly and the hotel is in a fantastic location. Will return.

1 Thank durhamborntrveler
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that overall you had a great stay with us and how much you had enjoyed dining experience and that you felt looked after by the team. I certainly take on board some of the other feed-back you have given thank you for providing a balance review of the Yorkshire.
I look forward to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

The rooms were large and clean, if slightly dated, but what makes this hotel worth a try is the excellent staff and great location. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel very welcome. For the price I am not sure you could do better.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent comments on the trip advisor website. I was pleased to read that overall you had a great stay with us and how much you had enjoyed experience and that you felt looked after by the team. I was also very pleased that we were able to overcome your apprehensions unfortunately in general guest are quicker to give negative feedback rather than positive on such sites such as this and therefore I thank you for keeping an open mind and taking the time to make a positive review.
I look forward to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

This hotel is an impressive old building in the centre of Harrogate. There are a few carpark spaces outside, but we weren't lucky enough to get one so parked in a multi storey about 10mins walk from hotel. It was £14 for 24hrs. The reception staff were friendly, and check in was no problem at all. The initial lmpression of the interior of the hotel was that it was not very warm and welcoming, and looked quite bare. No wow factor in soft furnishing and no pictures on the wall. Our room was clean, and very spacious. It was modern, but looked quite bland. Again no pictures on the wall. I think I'd describe this hotel as having a lot of potential, but currently it seems quite bland and soulless! We didn't eat breakfast, as we were on a room only rate.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I am sorry that you felt the interior of the hotel lacked soul and you didn’t find us welcoming. I admit some of our product is in need of updating and we are currently working through a redecoration programme I am sorry you found this to be bland. Despite any shortfalls in our product we constantly receive positive comments about the team and I am pleased to read that this was also your experience.
Thank you once again for your feedback

Durham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

I agree with previous reviews that the rooms are a little worn. Having stopped here for four nights this week I have been happy with the comfort and cleanliness of the room. Shower was a little weak which is probably to be expected in old buildings. Food in the restaurant was good and tbe staff helpful and friendly. As mentioned in previous reviews parking is very restricted but free roadside parking between 1800 and 0800. Location is very good.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. Your honest feedback is certainly welcomed and we offer a wide variety of room types and standard and we always try to offer the best value for money. I admit some of our product is in need of updating and we are continuing to work through a redecoration programme. I was happy to read that you had enjoyed the service received and I thank you for kind comments relating to the standard of the food.
It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Bolton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

We had a two night stay with breakfast included; room was tidy but furniture old, really strange experience though. There was an opening window in the bedroom/sitting area.. Being hardy people we opened to let fresh air in.. after going out for the day we returned to find not only had the window been closed but screwed down and sealed with silicone sealant!, bizarre to say the least.. Anyway windows aside, hotel was nice and friendly and the breakfast , although buffet style was excellent.. Parking is a nightmare though. only a few spaces in from of the hotel, however there ius parking in the nearby streets but pay only from 8am till 7pm... so be up early and put a ticket on it or you will be ticketed!! Overall good stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed many aspects of your stay with us in particular your comments relating to the team and breakfast.
I take on board your comments relating to the window and I am sorry we did not keep you informed during your stay. You state that you stayed in August we did suffer from a rather large wasps nest at an unreachable point on the exterior a were advised to seal up windows in this vicinity I am sorry if this impacted on your stay.
I have stated previously that we do only have limited car parking and is on a first come first served basis. It is however worth stating for other readers that there is no need to rush down at 8am to feed a meter as you can in fact purchase a ticket from the machines the evening before that starts from 8am. It is also worth noting that car parking on meter is free from 6pm on a Saturday night and all day Sunday. ( as at 21st Nov)
I do hope you choose to stay again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.