“Christmas shopping”

The Yorkshire Hotel
Ranked #21 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I recently stayed at the Yorkshire Hotel as me & my wife were visiting the local Christmas market. The hotel is situated perfectly for this & also for visiting the rest of Harrogate's shops. The room was a decent size & nice & clean. We only had breakfast in the hotel, but this was excellent.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Gerard C
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

.Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us and that you had a successful shopping trip. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

General Manager.

There are newer reviews for The Yorkshire Hotel

Reviewed 5 December 2013

We stayed here as we were working at the International Centre during the Country Living Fair. Excellent position for this purpose and for the shops, restaurants, Christmas Markets, etc. Comfortable, clean bedroom with all the essentials. Hospitality was very good and nothing was too much trouble. On Friday night the offer was 2 for 1 on certain cocktails with no time limit. The only downside was that although we were on the first floor we were disturbed with passers by outside during the early hours. We were also disturbed with people on the corridor. The bar staff were very good - the barman being execeptional! Definitely a hotel to return to but would take earplugs next time.

Room Tip: I would try and get a room away from the street noise if possible at busy times of the year
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Carole P
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Thank you for your recent comments on tripadvisor. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed many aspects of your stay with us. In particular how much you had enjoyed your experience in the HG1 bar. I was also extremely pleased to read that you felt looked after by the bar team.
I am sorry that you were disturbed by noise from other both guests and street noise it is unfortunate that our location is one of our greatest and worst assets depending to your point of view.
I do hope that these points do not deter you from visiting again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Stayed here for 1 night Sat 30 November , beautiful foyer , check in quick , room was on 4 th floor 415 , room's spacious , furniture as mentioned before in other reviews a little dated , bathroom large , very clean though no problem's with cleanliness . The only complaint i had was above us there must of been a function on and till 1.30 am all you could hear was loud music , , in my opinion 12.00 should be the latest and people who are on the 4th floor should be made aware that there could be some disturbance , would this stop me from booking this hotel again , no it would not , i would happily book here again but maybe request a lower floor room . Excellent value for money .

Room Tip: Ask for lower floor room's .
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that overall you had an enjoyed your stay.I was also sorry to read that you were disturbed by noise from the function we do always try to keep this to a minimum clearly on this occasion this was not the case. Despite this issue I thank you for providing some balance and understanding in your review of the Yorkshire.
I do hope that the noise does not deter you from visiting again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Didn't book with Trip Advisor-went with local coach company as package tour, so weren't expecting the best bedroom in the hotel. Won't be going again. Were in Room 316 - outside our window were what we assumed to be the extractor fans for the kitchen, they rumbled all night long, then at 6.45am there was a terrible noise which sounded like an express train going through a tunnel, no idea what it was but it scared the life out of us. The bed was like a plank, with 2 smaller planks for the pillows, resorted to the slightly softer cushion which was put on the bed for decoration. The lift doors were positively dangerous, if you weren't quick enough they nearly cut you in two - needed to wedge a suitcase in to stop them shutting. Breakfast was cold and unappetising. Didn't complain but should have done. Only bright point was the evening meal. Would most definitely not recommend this hotel, look somewhere else!

Room Tip: If you're given room 316 - either go home or ask to be moved!
1  Thank Linda M

I thank you for the time you have taken in writing your review on the tripadvisor website. I am sorry that your stay was not a success. I am also sorry that you were unhappy with the room you were allocated. We are a hotel in the 3 Star price range and we offer a wide variety of room types including singles, standard doubles, execs , suites, rooms with lounges and we always try to offer the best value for money . It is regrettable that the full extents of your disappointment or comments do not appear to have been highlighted. We did not receive any specific feedback regarding your stay prior to reading your review. Quite frankly if the noise you describe at 6.45am was experienced by a guest I would have been appalled and expected nothing less of someone to have reported this, but was not the case. I wish to assure you that if the Duty Manager had been made aware they would have endeavoured to provide an alternative room or at the very least rectify the problem. It is only through comments such as those you have made that we are able to improve our standard and service.
Thank you once again for your feedback

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Room 324 has air conditioning unit running outside and only single glazed window , nightmare room , moved to 325 and I may as well be in a matchbox! Tiny and dated but at least its quiet , I would not recommend this hotel based on what I have seen.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank dandejs

I thank you for the time you have taken in writing your review on the tripadvisor website .I am sorry that your stay was not a success for which I can only apologise. I understand that you did reserve a single room. Whilst I appreciate our single rooms do not have the best views or location in the building they are very much a budget offering and therefore reflected in the price paid. It is worth noting that we do offer a wide variety of room types and standard and we always try to offer the best value for money based on availability
Thank you once again for your feedback

Reviewed 25 November 2013

This is a beautiful old victorian hotel which we have visited many times over the past couple of years. The staff are one of the biggest assets and combined with a room at the front of the hotel with a lovely view, and the wonderful food in the restaurant we wouldnt want to stay anywhere else in Harrogate. The position of the hotel couldn't be better and all of the staff we came across, without exception made us feel very welcome and we knew we were in for another lovely stay. Can't wait for an excuse to make another trip very soon. Go...........you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel come with a lovely view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website.
I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed another stay with us.It is always great to read comments such as yours. It however gives me particular pleasure to read comments about the team as they are our greatest asset.
I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel soon when you next visit Harrogate.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

We stayed here last week for two nights and were comfortable .. The staff were on the ball and efficient and the food was fine, but the surroundings were dull... The hotel is in need of a good refurb ... The rooms were shabby and carpets grubby and need at least a good clean if not replacing ... Wouldn't really want to stay again unless as a last resort ..

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. Your honest feedback is certainly welcomed and we offer a wide variety of room types and standard and we always try to offer the best value for money. I admit some of our product is in need of updating and we are continuing to work through a redecoration programme. I was happy to read that you had enjoyed the service received from the team and I thank you for comments relating to their efficiency.

I do hope that you reconsider your decision and give the hotel the chance to welcoming you back.