“Great Location, Staff, Value...Some attention needed”

The Yorkshire Hotel
Ranked #20 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Blackburn, United Kingdom
“Great Location, Staff, Value...Some attention needed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

We booked a room at The Yorkshire to spend a relaxing time away after Christmas for New Year. We booked a double room with breakfast at a great price for this time of year, we did our research on the hotel and booked based upon the location and value for money.

On arrival, the hotel is very well located for shopping and the entertainment that Harrogate offers. Betty's Tea Room is across the road and walking around the corner from the hotel brings you straight into the shopping/socialising areas - remembering, this is Harrogate its extremely quaint, has a great warm feeling about it and is in no way noisy or run-down.

The hotel offers free parking directly outside the doors and although the spaces are quite compact (I personally didn't have any issues however larger vehicles might) there is ample parking for all guests.

The Yorkshire is a grand building and has some great features inside and out - that comes at a price, as you may understand from other reviews parts of this hotel are a little tired and could do with some attention (perhaps the corridors, lifts and reception areas) that said it is in no way dirty, nor is it disgraceful. The rooms themselves make the best of their features, again I do feel they could do with some redecoration however for the price we paid and the other benefits of the area and hotel they were liveable. The bed in our room (315) was a zip bed and the quality of the mattress was quite poor - these could do with replacement, they have seen better days.

Breakfast was buffet style and a little limited however again, suited to the hotel rating. On the first day we were offered cooked food directly from the kitchen as the hotel was not busy but on New Years Day a full cooked buffet option was back on. The tea served at breakfast was quite poor in honesty, knowing the great teas on offer in this area of the country it would be worth considering better options.

Finally, the staff were extremely attentive and a real asset to this hotel. From reception, to bar to restaurant we were welcomed and made to feel well looked after. Particularly the reception staff who couldn't do enough for us.

This hotel is great value for what it is - it's not pretentious and doesn't claim to be anything more than it is. It makes the most of it's fabulous location and amenities and if we were staying in Harrogate again we would definitely consider....Harrogate is too nice to spend all day in your room anyway :)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Esselle27
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyed the service during your stay and that you felt looked after by the team. I appreciate your incite in to the property and I thank you for providing some balance and understanding in your review of the Yorkshire.I certainly take on board some of the other feed-back you have given including the tea bags and the bed quality.I do hope that the negative points do not deter you from visiting again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Nick Henry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
doncaster
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stayed here on a Dinner Bed and Breakfast package and enjoyed every minute of our stay. From the moment we entered every member of staff that we came into contact with was friendly, helpful and polite.The Hotel is dated in areas and needs a lick of paint but it is not dirty. We had room 501 which was probably the quietest hotel room I have ever stayed in, it also had a separate lounge area and a large clean bathroom with bright white fluffy towels. There was plenty of hot water and nice white cotton bedding and yes there was only one pillow each (someone has complained about this) but you only have to ask at reception and they will get you as many as you require. The evening meal was delicious and the young blonde girl who was in charge of the restaurant never stood still making sure every one was looked after. The breakfast had a small selection of fruit and pastries and the cooked breakfast was as good as we have had in 5 star hotels. I think people need to remember when reviewing, this is a 3 star hotel and is not expensive considering the location. It has faults but when you consider the overall experience it is worth every penny. We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: room 501 large suite and very quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank potleg
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website.
I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us; it is always great to read comments such as yours. It gives me particular pleasure to read comments about the team as they are our greatest asset.
I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

I was looking for a city centre hotel to stay the night, following a staff party.
I managed to get a single room here, and I was very happy with what I received.

Room was very clean and tidy, nice decor, bed very comfortable and an amazing breakfast.

The staff were all very friendly, from reception to the breakfast staff.

Slight down side was the shower, not very powerful, but it still did the job!
Love the hotel and great staff and food.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Richard K
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website.
I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us; it is always great to read comments such as yours and hopefully dispels some of the negative comments we receive.
It also gives me great pleasure to read comments about the team as they are our greatest asset
It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when your next in town.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

Just returned from 3 night Christmas package, room 303.

The room, having read some previous reviews we were a little apprehensive but were pleasantly surprised with such a nice room lots of room to spread out especially being there for 3 nights. The hotel is a classic old building with period features and you would be silly to go expecting a new shiny hotel, saying that all the rooms and common areas we used were spotless and comfortable.

The staff were second to non always helpful and willing to make your stay comfortable, all the food (with exception of Xmas day main) ( cranberry sauce would have been nice) was very good, with no feeling of being rushed between courses.

To summarize these guys dont pretend to be "chic boutique" but what you do get is a classic old building with period features and exceptional service.

This hotel is excellent value for money.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SiB_11
I was delighted to read that once again had enjoyed most aspects of your Christmas Break with us. I certainly take on board some the feed-back you have given regarding Christmas day lunch. I am sorry we did not provide Cranberry Sauce it was of course available and therefore an oversight on our behalf.
I am extremely pleased you felt looked after by the team during your time with us they are our very best asset.
I do hope you choose to stay with us again next year as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel.

Whitchurch, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

From the outset this hotel looks very nice and the hotel bar is of high standard, upon going to my room the elevator is rather a back breaking experience dud to its sudden jolting stoping on any floor, the corridors were really noisy with the creaking of floorboards but this is an old building so partly forgiven. The room was substandard there was only two side lights and no main light. The bed was awful I could feel each of the springs and struggled to sleep. You pay for the location not the accommodation would be great with a good renovation project.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Gorsk
I thank you for the time you have taken in writing your review on the tripadvisor website. I am sorry that your stay was not a success, for which I can only apologise.
It is only through comments such as yours that we are try to improve our standards and service.

Nick Henry

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in the perfect location, parking is spot on. But apart from that we were disappointed with our stay, room was really dated, the bed was really uncomfortable and squeaky which kept my partner awake most of the night. 1 pillow each. Bathroom was clean and reasonable. After a bad night sleep we were woken by room keeping at 9 o clock! I know this is a cheap hotel but i probably wouldnt stay here again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DEJP
Thank you for your comments on the tripadvisor website. We always try to offer the best value for money for a 3 star property. It is always disappointing to read that someone has not enjoyed their stay for which I am genuinely sorry. After an investigation with my Duty Management team it is regrettable that your disappointment does not appear to have been highlighted or addressed by the Duty Manager visiting your room. I wish to assure you that if the Duty Manager had been made aware they would have endeavoured to provide an alternative room .

York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night . On arrival looked delightful . Outside . Inside welcoming . The entrence door is very loud on closing . The room was disappointing standard very warn in places bathroom lot of mold around shower head and bath with patches of mold on the bathroom blind ...breakfast was nice ..... staff really healpfull. Room just need a bit of a update.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank anthony92_13
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I am sorry the room you were allocated showed signs of wear and I admit some of our product is in need of updating and we will continue to work through a redecoration programme during 2014. I was disappointed and sorry to read your comments relating to the bathroom in particular the shower head you described. We do have cleaning schedule’s in place to pre-empt this type of problem occurring. I am therefore at a loss as to how this has occured since the last clean never the less I have of course instructed all shower heads to be checked and re-cleaned.
Despite the obvious shortfalls in product you have identified I do thank you for equally highlighting the positives in service received and therefore providing a very balance view.
It is only through comments such as those you have made that we are able to improve our standard and service.